• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyburn road Haulage company

James Murphy

Can anyone name the haulage firm that used to be situated on Tyburn road out of city side just off Salford circus roundabout attruck3.png Spaghetti Junction?

There is mention of a Tyburn Road haulage firm, MNU, in this thread.

did stephen and hodgeson. leave and a plant hire company move there. next to Kings motor cycles?
1584598849919.png

A case of "of course it was" I went past there daily on 67 bus, as soon as I read the opening post I could see the sandy cliff and could see their maroon coloured livery and remembered Mike Hailwood bike shop that was nearby.

Yes it was Arthur Turnbull, I used to catch the 67 bus from the stop just before the site entrance. I remember that there were frequent car accidents when a Turnbull vehicle was reversing into the yard and cars came speeding around the corner and rear ended vehicles waiting for the lorry to enter the yard. I was a victim of such an incident myself.

Hi Bob

I remember Turnbull's well, -there appeared to be a big sandy bank behind it, almost
as if had been built into the side of a quarry.

Kind regards
Dave
The yard was not that big really for a transport company due to the 'Sand Cliff' that the yard backed on to.
Getting in and out of the yard tested most drivers due to the steep entrance, a bus stop almost at the entrance and speeding cars entering Tyburn road from underneath Spaghetti junction.
I knew Arthur, Robert his son and Anthea his (Robert's) sister.
The company moved from Tyburn road to Furnace End.
Robert (the son) died about three years ago and so the company stopped trading.
Until the mid 80's they ran a fleet of Bedford trucks, later changing to Scanias

A point of interest. Opposite Turnbull's on the other side of Tyburn road was the 'dock' and canal wharf/basin where 'Spencer Abbott' boat builders had a yard.

Hi Bob

I remember Turnbull's well, -there appeared to be a big sandy bank behind it, almost
as if had been built into the side of a quarry.

Kind regards
Dave

The bank was known locally as The Sandpits. When he was about 10 years old, my father was playing there with his pals and fell, breaking bones in one of his feet which left him with a limp for the rest of his life. However, as he used to say, it kept him out of the Army during the War......

G

Back