• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tyburn Road Factories

This from the 1940 directory View attachment 84179I hope it helps

Thanks for posting that horsencart. We lived at 527 Tyburn Rd from 1953 until the early 1960's and I remember our neighbours, the Robinsons on one side and Mr & Mrs Bradbury on the other who kept our old cat when we left as he wouldn't have managed the move to Tamworth. And he spent most days asleep in their sun lounge comfortably snoring!

I seem to remember a firm called Concentric Engineering on that corner (Kingsbury Road/Tyburn Road.)My Dad worked at BIP Tools & I think it was a bit further along. Unfortunately I can´t ask him as he has been dead for 20 years.

hi senorauz
yes concentrics was on tyburn rd they had afew factories around there was just off aston hall rd aston aston as well
and that would have been a mile away from tyburn rd factory i worked there when i was sixteen as a capston machine operator
working on peice work for my wages i never got alot for wages as in those there was the wage scale if you recall ;
at all factories ; under 21 years you would get a good rate but under twenrty one you was paid less
i started there along with another guy but he only stayed for a short time because he joined the ambulance services way back then ;
he was a member of the st johns medics thats how he got the job i beleive at some point there was another branch in around erdington ; as wel
if you go down along the tyburn rd today abobe the walls of the old BIP YOU CAN SEE THE PAINTED SIGNS OF THE BIP along the tops of the old black
and smoked walls . best wishess astonian;;

Remember the big window at Concentrics on Tyburn road where you could watch the workers on Lathes and stuff.

I seem to remember a firm called Concentric Engineering on that corner (Kingsbury Road/Tyburn Road.)My Dad worked at BIP Tools & I think it was a bit further along. Unfortunately I can´t ask him as he has been dead for 20 years.

Was Concentric, now Carillion Training HERE

The pub on Kingsbury/ Tyburn Rd was the Norton, turn left onto Tyburn and there was a row of shops, Evans greengrocer, Adams the butchers, Bon Bon sweetshop, The Cook Shop, Paynes Shoe Repairs, Maidens ironmongers, A Chemist Mr Longmore, and Ventura Furniture Shop. On the other side of the road was the Apollo Cinema, and the 79 tram used to go down the middle, and the Municipal Bank was on the corner, On the other corner was Construcors they made galvanized poles for street lamps etc and lockers for workers clothes etc,. I lived on Tyburn Road for 21 years, school at Paget Road, infant, junior, and senior. The good old days. Baz

Last edited:
I can confirm the Concentric Pumps facts. They had several sites around Sutton & Erdington. I had several friends who worked in these factories. Mostly making fuel pumps for industries. The small unit opposite the Tyburn House PH held a few of my mates, and, in the late 70s/early 80s, when they were on Lates, they'd stand at the window to watch the 3 or 4 of us who worked at Kings of Birmingham Superbike Centres racing each other back home to Tamworth at about 6.25pm.
The Big unit at this point was the Cincinnatti Works, next to the canal.

My father was a toolmaker at BIP Tyburn road in WW11, I have a pic of Christmas party about 1946-7 held in that building.I can remember the Canal at the back of the building, and in the war there was rail line placed in front from ground to top of building as protection from bomb blast, also one night in a rade a bomb went of in front of the building in Tyburn road and dad said a car was sent over the buildings ending up in the canal.

Someone may remember this company: Ether Limited, Tyburn Road. They made pyrometers and instruments. Lovely entrance design. Viv.

98360BE4-952E-424D-A4CC-627A444AC21B.jpeg
0E607905-1356-4620-9142-F045AF642D7A.jpeg

Last edited:
My mother lost half of her index finger whilst operating a capstone lathe when fresh out of school around 1948-50.
She said it was at the Tomys factory. I have vague recollections of Tomys being on the Tyburn Rd, can anyone confirm?

Back