• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyburn Road Bus Works

hi aston lad whats the name of the air site....could you post a link to it please..

cheers

lyn

If you're there horsencart, I did tell you they where pulling the main wall down last weekend, but I got it wrong, sorry. They've made a start on it today.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

I was there with my boots blacked and a the wind going up me kilt, I can confirm work has started to demolish the last part of the former works, I did get a lot of good photos and footage, of the stone work being gently moved to the floor, sometimes with the aid of gravity, they have a machine that can reach (where other machines cannot reach) going to the former works today so it will not take to long for what remains to go,

If you're there horsencart, I did tell you they where pulling the main wall down last weekend, but I got it wrong, sorry. They've made a start on it today.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire

Hi Aston lad.Brian did say that Roy Riley worked with Dennis Gilman.Roy used to drive the big wagon with the axles etc on.He asked what your name is?Billy does still work within the company.

Hi, Irene Floyd Roy does remember Brian. Roy did drive the big wagon, the Matador, apparently it was also known by its radio call sign of Bertram's Dog, the radio operator on site being Bertram's Office. I imagine the result of so many ex-military being at work in those days with their experience of radio protocol.

He has a vast collection of anecdotes about his time at Miller St and Tyburn Road. The characters and situations often sound like a sketch from a sitcom. He started at miller St in about 1956 and apart from brief dalliances outside of the buses he worked there and eventually Tyburn road until 1992. He recalls getting into trouble on his first day at Tyburn road for doing too much work. A quiet word was had with him that in that section they liked a more relaxed pace of life and by doing too many repairs he was bringing this too much into the spotlight. This endeared Roy to the place and he never thought of leaving again!

People who liked to play cards or dominos will probably remember him as as far as I can tell he seemed to do more of that than the actual mechanic stuff!

He loves to tell his anecdotes so if anybody here would like to hear any of them I'll pass a few on, they might jog people's memories of events and people. He's not a computer kind of chap so I'm afraid he is unlikely to be interacting directly himself.

Sorry it took me so long to respond, I watched the thread for a while, and then forgot about it only thinking to check it this week?

Just heard on the grapevine that Colliers in Erdington are relocating to the site of the Tyburn Works, where they are at present is proposed to be Sainsburys supermarket.

Just heard on the grapevine that Colliers in Erdington are relocating to the site of the Tyburn Works, where they are at present is proposed to be Sainsburys supermarket.

Yes I think they start work next month

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

I have been given a few photo's of some of the retired works from the 1950's......the 1st one was taken in 1956, the second 1957 and the 3rd 1958, it states on one of the photo's that these are the people who worked there for more than 20 years........ 1956 1st gathering of retired workers with 20 or more years service.jpg1950s tyburn rd works 1.jpg1950s tyburn rd works 2.jpg1950s tyburn rd works 4.jpg Please don't ask me for any names because I haven't a clue who anyone is.......the 3rd photo looks like its a snooker tournament which I know they did hold, the snooker tables they had two were in the canteen , and these photo's are taken in there, the canteen was located at the front on the building upstairs........

Back