• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tyburn Road Bus Works

Hi Frothblower what can you say about these councillors, for them to sell off the old Tyburn bus garage or knock it down.
to them its just another building heritage or anything means nothing to them.(SHAME ON THEM COUNCILLORS)

Someone I know called Roy Riley worked in Tyburn Road in the 1970s and 1980s and prior to that Miller Street I think. I imagine he was a bit of a character then.

It's not looking good for the the old bus garage on Tyburn road:(
Behind the boarding above the Palletline sign is the Birmingham Coat of Arms

thanks for the pics froth certainly does not look good......how old is this building...

lyn

Frothy, looking at the pics its not a particularly handsome building, especially the last 2 pics, so what can be done besides demolishing it and starting again, of course thats just my opinion. Birmingham Council have destroyed a lot of beautiful buidings in the past but I personally don't put this garage into that category, but as I said that is just my opinion others may think different and thats what makes the world go round. Eric

Frothy, looking at the pics its not a particularly handsome building, especially the last 2 pics, so what can be done besides demolishing it and starting again, of course thats just my opinion. Birmingham Council have destroyed a lot of beautiful buidings in the past but I personally don't put this garage into that category, but as I said that is just my opinion others may think different and thats what makes the world go round. Eric

I know what you are saying Eric.
I have grew up with this building all my life. It's like an old friend it's always been there. When it was built it was the biggest area under one roof in the world so I think it deserves to be saved.

Last edited:
froth i do understand what you are saying it really do...its nothing to do with where the building is..its the age of it that will be taken into account and if there is a buck or two to be made from the land after demolision then it will be done and there is nothing any of us can do about it...you know yourself how buildings all over the city that are 150 years old plus being cast aside without a thought:(...and it s only natural that we all tend to focus on the area that we were bought up in..its not just the buildings being demolished its also our memories and this is what hurts..i think the same as you about the lucas factory that was at gt king street...how well i remember seeing hoards of workers spilling out at the end of the day grabbing the evening mail and etiher running for their buses or popping into one of the many pubs that were around there and that works hooter...you could here it for miles...i bet it was the same for you with the bus depot..seeing all the buses going in and out..i do hope though that someone manages to save that birmingham coat of arms...how high up would you say it was. i have a double ladder here...:D;)

lyn.

Last edited:
Hi there
its the big house what i call the planning dept is where it all happenends
i hope you did write it all down three times my friend on what you wrote to them about or spoke to any body about it as i was told this my self by a certain member at the planning dept ; you can draw your own asumption on that and i am saying that because i do not i know we have council members on this site
have you seen the coventry rd station yet how hats gone down the pan today best wishes astonian

Sorry I sounded so stern. I did mean to put a smillie on.
Who do I see to save the coat of arms?
Its about 10 foot square and made of stone

Frothy although I was born in Aston most of my time in Brum was in Erdington, 1962 to 1987. The buildings I was upset to see go was the Old Central Library, Snow Hill Station and the old Bull Ring in particular the Old Market Hall but can understand people becoming attached to certain buildings, I was quite fond of Atkinsons Brewery living in the same Road and born in one of their houses, also HP Sauce, but now they have gone. Eric

I know what you are saying Eric.
I have grew up with this building all my life. It's like an old friend it's always been there. When it was built it was the biggest area under one roof in the world so I think it deserves to be saved. I might upset a lot of people on here, but if this place was in Aston you'd be all falling over yourselves trying to save it but no it's in Erdington so that's Okay.
Nothing left in Aston to be saved froth. I used to see this building every day when i lived in Birches Green, so i understand what you are saying. Why dont you start an action group to save it. Max

It was a special place for me, got married in 1958 while working there and had some of my happiest working days there. So many nice people from Ernie who changed wheels on the Buses don't know where he got the strength from, the man who changed the guard rails on each side of the Bus and was mad about the Black & White Minstrel Shows and played a mean game of Chess, while smoking his pipe. He taught me to play the game. Vic Perry who only drank Lemonade and was a great footballer. Down to the Union leader who sold Cigarettes, Mars Bars & sweets from a draw in his Office. never ending memories.

I for one would hate to see it reduced to a pile of bricks.

Thanks for the photos Froth

Sorry I sounded so stern. I did mean to put a smillie on.
Who do I see to save the coat of arms?
Its about 10 foot square and made of stone
Chris see if Colliers will let you have the coat of arms ( if you have somewhere for it to be put ) we have ways of making it move. ! Seriously it can be done. Max

I was surprised to read that the Tyburn Road workshop was the largest free standing building when it was constructed! Is their any more history on when it was opened,wartime use,how many employed at its peak?

I have been told today it is not being demolished as it is going to be a car showroom....good news eh!

I have been told today it is not being demolished as it is going to be a car showroom....good news eh!

Yes Colliers of New Sutton road have got it. Where do you put a car show room in that building without knocking it down:confused2:

Agree with you Chris , no frontage !!! does the building go through to Wood Lane ? Max

Back