• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Two Recently Scanned Slides From 1966

So did I Evergreen, in fact I wish I had a fiver for evertime I used the service, it ran on nites as well, so it was useful for getting home after late night clubbing:) Sorry about the fact thats its on its side, I should have corrected it before I posted the image, I apologise for any crooked necks but Im taking any legal responsibility!!

Nice one of Fleetline 3427 on Hagley Rd West before it was widened, at Galton Rd junction - with the Dog pub just off shot to the right. I can remember seeing horses in thos fields opposite.

It's a bit different there now - but the drain is still there!

Just think, last weekend there was a celebration of 50 years of the Daimler Fleetline at Wythall museum - the first ones were built in 1960.

That's a nice one of the Midland Red D9 too, Bill.

Anorakian details (sorry, just can't help myself! ;)): 4949 (that's got to be a lucky number!; registered 2949HA; Midland Red D9 new in February 1962 with Carlyle H40/32RD body; equipped with "experimental internal fluorescent lighting and illuminated external advertisements"; spent all its Midland Red life allocated to Bearwood garage; passed to WMPTE on 3 December 1973 (Oldbury garage); withdrawn April 1976; to Rollison for scrap July 1976).

Thanks for reminding me Thylacine, 4949 was the first D9 (and only mk1 version) with fluorescent lights. We have the only surviving Mk 1 at Wythall, 4871, with antique-looking bulb lights! The D10s were bulb lit as well.

Yes Bill, the D9 was certainly 'something else'. Lovely to drive, as well - I've done a few thousand miles in them when I worked on "The Red"!

The Midland Red Fleetline (which must be brand new in your picture, Bill):
Fleet number 6021; registered GHA421D; Daimler Fleetline CRG6LX chassis number 61572 (Midland Red type DD12); Alexander H44/33F body number A26/2765/30; new December 1966 at Kidderminster garage; to Worcester August 1968; to Oldbury August 1969; to WMPTE (Oldbury) 3 December 1973; withdrawn 1978.​
Thanks for the pictures: they're the first I've seen of 4949 and 6021. Showing my age (and preferences) here, but the Fleetline was always too "modern" for me! ;)

Last edited:
I can still remember the surprise I had on seeing my first Midland Red Fleetline - having grown up with D5s, D7s, LD8s and D9s, these were something quite different.
I think a few enthusiasts were surprised at the choice of Alexander of Falkirk, Scotland as bodymaker - possibly the cheapest, we thought, but time proved them a good buy - "Frames are far better than the corporation's Park Royal bodied ones" a MoT inspecting officer once told me.
6021 is obviously fairly new in the above photo - the aluminium windscreen frames were subject to 'attachment failure' causing them to fall out as the bus came to a halt - often onto the boot of the car in front in a traffic queue! All were replaced with thick black rubber mountings soon after.

Well gents, Im glad you found them interesting, the Camera was a relativly inexpensive 35mm and the lighting was far from ideal but not a bad image from a scanned slide methinks.:)

Yes Bill, there is history in almost every old photograph, and I found the fields on Hagley Road West an amazing piece of nostalgia. Thanks for posting them, they took me back 50 years!

I have a few more bus pics Astoness, I also have quite a few images of Birmingham that I took in Monochrome and have scanned the negatives,I will be posting a few in the next few days, I have another scanned slide of a Midland Red Dual Purpose but its a bit blurred!! So all i can say is watch this space.......:)

Thanks for reminding me Thylacine, 4949 was the first D9 (and only mk1 version) with fluorescent lights. We have the only surviving Mk 1 at Wythall, 4871, with antique-looking bulb lights! The D10s were bulb lit as well.

Yes Bill, the D9 was certainly 'something else'. Lovely to drive, as well - I've done a few thousand miles in them when I worked on "The Red"!
Me too, based at Sutton garage, I did the Main Roads into City and also the 107's and so on. I stayed with them during the re-paint into WUMPTY colours. Lovely vehicles to drive apart from hot days going down Gravelly Hill, when the old drum brakes were overheating, and not much use. Also, I remember going into town with the low September sun in my eyes all the way. But they were super buses, and I enjoyed every minute with them.

Back