• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Two More That I Would like Info On PLease

B

BernardR

Can anyone suggest the regiments these two belonged to please? I believe they were brothers.

scan0057.jpg

scan0010.jpg

Bernie, I'm no expert, but going by the cap badge for the first man, he was possibly in the West Yorkshire Regiment..if you google west yorkshire regiment and go to the Wikipedia link it shows the badge.

Thanks Lindy I will take a look. Again this is someone who lived, if not born, in Brum at the time of the war.

I am sorry I cannot help you with the regiments, but they are stunning photos. I think I can see a family resemblance, what else do you know about these two people, It would be great if you could tell us more about them.

Is there any writing on the back of the photos?

Are they family members?

Very few of these photos have any writing on the back or if they do it is more likely than not a shopping list. They have to be family though and we are having a get together this weekend to look through stuff from my late wife's maternal side of the family. Might know more after that. Sadly the folk we really need to ask have gone before.

I was thinking the same, they're fine photos! Good luck with finding out more about them.
I think most of us lament that the people who could answer our questions are no longer with us.

Hi,

Number 2 has to be a Scottish Regiment judging from his trousers and forage cap on the table. Sorry cannot be of more help.

Old Boy

I can't help but agree and the Seaforth link fits family legend. Why would two Brummie lads end up in such different regiments? I do know it happened but not sure why?

Bernie, can you give the surnames that are relevant to your family from where the lads may have come please

Sorry the Family name is Emery . Pretty sure one of them is William (Bill to family) the other may be Fred but not certain. I will post a couple of letters from the front though they are a bit hard to read due to age and having been written in pencil.

Looking forward to seeing the letters Bernie and if you have any idea of the parents names that may help in finding their birthplace..which in turn may help with finding their army records...possibly :)

Father was John Thomas Emery Died 1954) and Mother maiden name Mary Jane Thomas (died 1936). They moved from Totterdown, Bristol up to Birmingham so that JTE could obtain work. John William would have been born at Totterdown or thereabouts. Still trying to confirm addreses but Birth and Marriage certificates of my MiL have gone astray.

Well Bernie, I have found some further information, for John WILLIAM ....(Bill) but its not good I'm afraid. :(

John William Thomas Emery, Private, Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, 1st Bn, age 28, Service Number 9105,
Son of John and Mary Emery of 127, Bordesley Park Road, Small Heath, Birmingham. Native of Bristol.
Date of Death 15/4/18
Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Number 11 D.14
Aire Communial Cemetery

https://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_details.aspx?casualty=466961

[URL]https://www.cwgc.org/search/certificate.aspx?casualty=466961

[/URL]
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(

Hi Many thanks for that - great detective work. I was pretty certain that William had not survive the war but not where or when. Many thanks.

Fantastic work! I'm still amazed after years of doing this, just how much we can find out about our families.
For me it brings them so much closer.

Back