• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Two Military Badges On A Coat.

oldMohawk

gone but not forgotten
I'm wondering if anyone can help with any further information about the following.
At a car boot sale in Bolton Lancashire bought a jacket mainly because there were two badges on it.
The first badge is a WW1 Silver War Badge issued in the United Kingdom to service personnel who had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness during World War I. The second badge is a brass cap badge which has the motto 'Sans Changer' and a 'Liver Bird' over a small boat with a baby in it. This badge appears to be for the King's (Liverpool) Regiment otherwise known as the Liverpool Pals.
The badges
TwoBadges.jpg
The back of the Silver War Badge shows a number O1324 stamped on it as below.
swbback.JPG
A limited search suggests that the recipient was possibly Alfred Hutchinson.
The badge could be in the Third Issue: Dec 1919 until April 1920 serial No 01-05,000 all numbers prefixed by the letter "0". 2nd type (Vertical pin & catch). Approximate number of badges issued 5,000. (Cited from: https://www.militarian.com/threads/silver-war-badge-swb.6525/)

Many thanks
oldmohawk

Alfred Hutchinson a private in the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment was issued Silver War Badge 01324. His regimental number was 56287 and he enlisted on 16/11/15 and was discharged on 10/12/19. Cause of discharge was "392 (xvi) A age 34". It refers to Kings Regulations para 392 which is "surplus to military requirements having suffered impairment since entry into service".
Janice

what a fantastic find phil..if suggested the badges did belong to alfred hutchinson wouldnt it be great to give them back to the family if ever they could be traced..

lyn

Alfred Hutchinson a private in the Kings Own Royal Lancaster Regiment was issued Silver War Badge 01324. His regimental number was 56287 and he enlisted on 16/11/15 and was discharged on 10/12/19. Cause of discharge was "392 (xvi) A age 34". It refers to Kings Regulations para 392 which is "surplus to military requirements having suffered impairment since entry into service".
Janice
Hi Janice,
Many thanks for your very quick reply with information.
The soldier who received the badge is not a relative but my brother-in law (who bought the coat) and myself (both ex-servicemen) were wondering why the badges were on a fairly nondescript modern coat. The car boot vendor offered no information.
We think about those men who joined up in Pal's regiments and found themselves in such a terrible war and may try to follow Alfred Hutchinson's travels in the various battles.
Phil (oldmohawk)

what a fantastic find phil..if suggested the badges did belong to alfred hutchinson wouldnt it be great to give them back to the family if ever they could be traced..

lyn
Hi Lyn,
Yes it would be nice to give the badges back to any surviving family. I will be talking with my brother-in-law later about it because one wonders whether the coat was put out in a house clearance etc.
Phil

yes i phil i was also thinking the same thing...good luck if you do try to trace the family:)

lyn

Here are images of the medal rolls (Ancestry) - I can't find any service record at present. With so little info it is hard to search. I think the transcript I first saw may be incorrect as it said Lancaster regiment but I think it was definitely Liverpool (confusion as just using KLR).
Janice

Attachments

• medal card.JPG
    medal card.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Medal roll.JPG
    Medal roll.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 8
  • silver badge.jpg
    silver badge.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm wondering if anyone can help with any further information about the following.
At a car boot sale in Bolton Lancashire bought a jacket mainly because there were two badges on it.
The first badge is a WW1 Silver War Badge issued in the United Kingdom to service personnel who had been honourably discharged due to wounds or sickness during World War I. The second badge is a brass cap badge which has the motto 'Sans Changer' and a 'Liver Bird' over a small boat with a baby in it. This badge appears to be for the King's (Liverpool) Regiment otherwise known as the Liverpool Pals.
The badges
View attachment 107609
The back of the Silver War Badge shows a number O1324 stamped on it as below.
View attachment 107610
A limited search suggests that the recipient was possibly Alfred Hutchinson.
The badge could be in the Third Issue: Dec 1919 until April 1920 serial No 01-05,000 all numbers prefixed by the letter "0". 2nd type (Vertical pin & catch). Approximate number of badges issued 5,000. (Cited from: https://www.militarian.com/threads/silver-war-badge-swb.6525/)

Many thanks
oldmohawk

The badge was of the 17th-20th (Service) Battalions of The King's (Liverpool) Regiment (1st-4th City).
"The Liverpool Pals" were raised by Lord Derby in Aug-Oct 1914.
The first men to join these Battalions were issued with a hallmarked silver cap badge, a representation of the crest of Lord
Derby. Later issues were in bronze and brass.
My book warns that this badge is widely reproduced.
Baz.

Here are images of the medal rolls (Ancestry) - I can't find any service record at present. With so little info it is hard to search. I think the transcript I first saw may be incorrect as it said Lancaster regiment but I think it was definitely Liverpool (confusion as just using KLR).
Janice
Thanks Janice for all the information and images. It is great how all this information is stored in archives. Although we don't know who Alfred Hutchinson was I suppose in a way we are honouring him by thinking about his WW1 experiences almost 100 years later.
Phil

Back