• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tv Sub-titles

norfolk brummie

gone but not forgotten
Although my wife has better hearing than I, there are times when we both need the TV sub-titles to be displayed at the bottom of the TV screen. It appears to be more important these days, with much unintelligible, unclear words, used by some of the speakers that appear on the screen. Even some of the programme announcers can be difficult to understand, either because of their accent, or the modern trend of speaking very quickly

Gone are the days of a beautifully, cultured BBC announcer, with the velvety tone in the voice.

Last night a certain phrase, spoken by the announcer was:

"Birmingham, the city of a 1000 trades"

It came across, in sub-titles, as:

"Birmingham, the city of those in chains"!!

We both had a good giggle.

Eddie

First thing my daughter does when entering the lounge is to turn down the sound on the TV. Having tinitous doesn't help but I think I've not got a problem :(. I found many years ago that when other people spoke at the same time, especially in a crowded pub, I just hoped I'd nodded along where I should have, unfortunately this wasn't always the case.

seen some funny ones. the one that sticks in my memory was a result of the queens visit to the country of Oman. on the Arabian peninsula, what the subtitles were meant to say i do not know but it came on the screen "SHE'S A MAN". use subtitles all the time. not everybody's cup of tea. the news can be frustrating you can miss lines of dialogue. but on the whole if your a bit hard of hearing you get the full picture if you gets my drift,

My husband has just had two NHS hearing aids and they have made such a difference!
My hearing is good but even so, we still use subtitles as some of the speech and pronunciation is so bad. I find the background music is so obtrusive that it drowns the speech sometimes, especially the news programmes where they have that drumming noise. Sometimes on "live" items they give up trying to put the subtitles!!
rosie.

Oh Eddie! I didn't mean drumming was a noise! Just the thumping sound they put on!
(My husband can hear himself properly playing his ukelele now!)
rosie.

Back