• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Turner's Arms

cba

master brummie
Does anyone know of a post war pub called the Turner's Arms? It may have closed in the 50's or 60's and/or was run as an outdoor. Not really sure which part of Birmingham but there is one recorded in Turner Street

hello cba...do you know where in brum turner st was..i only know of a james turner st which is in ladywood...

lyn

I have got a Turners Arms from the History pub directory at 108 Turner St B11 it seems from a map to be near Ladypool road?
I am looking to find it because I think my Dad's parents ran it and he ran it with his Mother for a while, If I have remembered the pub name!

Harold Davies and Marie Davies. My Dad's name was John and he had an older brother called Robert

Here is map showing it on the corner of Ladypool road. Also a picture

Attachments

• map c 1951 showing turners arms pub.jpg
    map c 1951 showing turners arms pub.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 38
  • Sparkbrook Turner St The Turners Arms.jpg
    Sparkbrook Turner St The Turners Arms.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 44
1950 electoral roll lists Harold, Marinda and Robert at 108 - the Turners Arms, Turner Street Sparkbrook.
Janice

Many thanks for both for the photograph and map and the electoral roll entry. My Dad as not 21 until 1951 so would not have been eligible to vote. I now know that I have remembered the correct pub name. Does anyone remember the pub? What happened to it? I know that there was a piece in the paper, possibly the Birmingham Mail about Harold Davies being attacked, possibly a robbery, but I have no other details.

the pub along with all the houses would have been demolished to make way for new housing...

lyn

no sorry but at a guess i would say looking at the houses that are there now most likely during the 60s poss early 70s...a kellys directory look up would tell you when the pub ceased to be listed

lyn

Hi, The Turners Arms was one of the many local pubs for me as I lived in Tillingham St where we lived opposite an Ansell off license. Turner St. had two pubs, at the corner with Highgate Rd there was The Junction Hotel and at the Ladypool Rd corner The Turners Arms.
As kids we used to race our bikes down Tillingham St, left into Ladypool Rd and back up Turner St. One day I took the corner of Ladypool Rd far too wide, hit the kerb and ended up almost going through the door on the right hand side which was for the lounge. It always seemed to be open during trading hours and one of our friends mother "Big Lil" used to sit just inside as a sort of fixture.
I left Brum in 1961 and it was trading then. On a visit back in 1978 the area was being flattened and only Tillingham St Motors seemed to be trading.
The sycamore tree planted by my parents was about the only other thing I could recognize.

Hi, The Turners Arms was one of the many local pubs for me as I lived in Tillingham St where we lived opposite an Ansell off license. Turner St. had two pubs, at the corner with Highgate Rd there was The Junction Hotel and at the Ladypool Rd corner The Turners Arms.
As kids we used to race our bikes down Tillingham St, left into Ladypool Rd and back up Turner St. One day I took the corner of Ladypool Rd far too wide, hit the kerb and ended up almost going through the door on the right hand side which was for the lounge. It always seemed to be open during trading hours and one of our friends mother "Big Lil" used to sit just inside as a sort of fixture.
I left Brum in 1961 and it was trading then. On a visit back in 1978 the area was being flattened and only Tillingham St Motors seemed to be trading.
The sycamore tree planted by my parents was about the only other thing I could recognize.
What a brilliant story. Thank you. I only wish my Dad was still alive so that I could tell him. Thank you

yes thanks time your post has certainly helped cba with his research.....

cba i agree with you...i know a lot of houses needed to be demolished as they were unfit to live in but so many were ok but they too were hit by the mass demolision of brums suburbs...

lyn

Even though I only lived around the corner in Larches Street until I got married in the late 60's and moved out, I had family living there (grandmother and uncles) until the part of the street where they lived was demolished in the mid 70's. As far as I am aware none of my relatives ever drank in the Turners. Though I believe the pub was still standing in the mid 70's.

If I remember correctly this terrace on Turner Street was only a little bit further up the street than the Turners and the shop was on the opposite corner of the Ladypool Rd junction and at one time was Booths sweet shop.

Attachments

• Sparkbrook Turner Street 1968 .jpg
    Sparkbrook Turner Street 1968 .jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Sparkbrook Ladypool Rd - Turner St.jpg
    Sparkbrook Ladypool Rd - Turner St.jpg
    232.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Thank you everyone who has contributed to this thread. It is great to see photographs of where my Dad lived and hear people's memories.
Carolann

Funny Phil, I can only remember drinking in the Turner's Arms once,in 1959 on my 21st birthday. I think Dad and I were sent out of the house so the ladies were able to get on with the arrangements.
Can't remember too many of the details but I woke up in my upstairs bedroom next day. To my surprise Dad had given me the fireman's lift as I had passed out !
Cheers Tim.

Back