• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tunnel Cottages Kings Norton

This is interesting, did Albert actually move to King’s Norton to pull the narrow boats through the Wast Hill Tunnel?

In the 1911 census Asenath Jane Boulton was a Card Box maker and 30 years old. Working in a chocolate and cocoa factory. She was living with her father Alfred Boulton who was 62 and a steam tug engine driver, Canal Co. Worker. His address is given as (Machine House) Worcester Wharf, Bridge St, Birmingham.

The thread starts by mentioning Tunnel Cottages in Masshouse Lane, just where are they in Masshouse Lane?

Further info on Alfred shows he was at Kings Norton before the 1911 census. As his daughter Asenath died at the cottages he must kept some connection...

In 1901 Alfred is down at Masshouse Lane, Tunnel cottages, Engine worker

In 1899 Albert is just King's Norton and down as Engine Driver, tug boat barge

In 1881 down as Tunnel End, Steam tug engine Driver.

In 1871 he is Engine Driver in Gloucestershire at age 21

Thank you for all the responses. The cottages are still standing as I live in one. Apart from what’s been posted there doesn’t seem to be any history that goes back any further. The tunnel I know was built in 1797 and apparently the houses went up soon after. I’m just intrigued what the area around the cottages looked like and the cottage itself. Can’t seem to get any history about it at all. Thank you all though for the information

I think quite a lot of history has been brought to light about the cottages.

If you look back to Mike’s post number 10, which gives info about the cottages, it can be seen that two pairs of semi-detached cottages were built around 1878. This is about 80 years after the tunnel was built. One pair on the hill above the portal, and the other above the cutting at Masshouse Lane/Primrose Hill at High Bridge. The two pairs can be seen on the map, post 14, from Janice.

Historic England mentions cottages 1 and 2, Masshouse Lane, Kings Norton. It shows them just south of the Tunnel entrance, which would correspond to those seen in Mike’s picture post. The other pair at High Bridge could well be 3 and 4 “Tunnel Cottages.” We can see that Alfred Boulton was living in one of the "Tunnel Cottages" in 1901 with his wife and 8 children, and one of his daughters, Asenath, died there in 1967. There are 3 other “Tunnel Cottages” mentioned in the 1901 census, two tug Steerers and tug driver and their families.

The cottages would be quite remote, and as the occupants were involved with tunnel, their history would be linked to it. There is a lot of history that can be found connected to the Tunnel.

I understood that the cottages were for canal company workers who manned the steam tug that hauled boats through the tunnel, while the horses that normally pulled them were walked over the hill (hence "Bargehorse Walk" in Hawkesley which follows the bridleway they used).

June 1955 bomb nearby Tunnel House Cottage?

View attachment 140405
I remember Mrs Chapman and her family. I was friends with her daughter, Jacqueline, born around 1953. I believe there were 5 children altogether, Twins Tony and Theresa who were older than Jaquie, and a little girl called Iola, whom they nicknamed Polie. I'm sure there was an older daughter, too, but I can't remember her name. I stayed at the cottage once. There was no sanitary plumbing, they used an outside privvy which had to be emptied. I think the year would have been about 1960. The address of the cottage then was Tunnel House Cottage, Wast Hills Lane, Hopwood, Near Alvechurch. I often wonder what happened to the Chapmans. They farmed it as a smallholding in the 1960s. The cottage is all boarded up now with security cameras. I wonder who owns it now?

Thank you for all the responses. The cottages are still standing as I live in one. Apart from what’s been posted there doesn’t seem to be any history that goes back any further. The tunnel I know was built in 1797 and apparently the houses went up soon after. I’m just intrigued what the area around the cottages looked like and the cottage itself. Can’t seem to get any history about it at all. Thank you all though for the information
Hello Dianna, I hope you are still on this sight? I have just joined up and posted but not sure if it l landed in your reply box? My great grandmother was living with her family in Tunnel House, Hopwood, Alvechurch according to her marriage cert in 1883. I would love to know more about the cottages and who have lived in them as we are now in Australia it's a pain not being able to travel there to investigate. This is very exciting finding this website. Warm regards, Annie

Welcome AnnieEliza
Tunnel House Hopwood is not the same place as the Tunnel Cottages in Kings Norton - although there may be similarities
I think they are at opposite ends of the Wast Hill Tunnel. There is a map here.

Last edited:
More info here

Welcome AnnieEliza
Tunnel House Hopwood is not the same place as the Tunnel Cottages in Kings Norton - although there may be similarities
I think they are at opposite ends of the Wast Hill Tunnel. There is a map here.
Hello Janice, Thank you for your reply. Yes I'm aware of that but I am grasping at straws really to find my way. Great to have the map thank you. Hope this finds you well. Annie

That's good - I wasn't sure.
This thread has quite a bit of information about the cottages/house in general. What other sort of information were you looking for?

I was working on tunnel at the time of the collapse.
As a former BWB worker I always travelled through Wast Hills on a workboat with a bristling of the hair at the back of my neck. I knew then about the collapse so if you can enlighten me any further maybe we can swap experiences?

I think quite a lot of history has been brought to light about the cottages.

If you look back to Mike’s post number 10, which gives info about the cottages, it can be seen that two pairs of semi-detached cottages were built around 1878. This is about 80 years after the tunnel was built. One pair on the hill above the portal, and the other above the cutting at Masshouse Lane/Primrose Hill at High Bridge. The two pairs can be seen on the map, post 14, from Janice.

Historic England mentions cottages 1 and 2, Masshouse Lane, Kings Norton. It shows them just south of the Tunnel entrance, which would correspond to those seen in Mike’s picture post. The other pair at High Bridge could well be 3 and 4 “Tunnel Cottages.” We can see that Alfred Boulton was living in one of the "Tunnel Cottages" in 1901 with his wife and 8 children, and one of his daughters, Asenath, died there in 1967. There are 3 other “Tunnel Cottages” mentioned in the 1901 census, two tug Steerers and tug driver and their families.

The cottages would be quite remote, and as the occupants were involved with tunnel, their history would be linked to it. There is a lot of history that can be found connected to the Tunnel.
Unfortunately Historic England are not interested in the High Bridge cottages as regards listing. I spoke to them and referred to Alan White's book, but to no avail. Maybe someone else could have a go?

This is interesting, did Albert actually move to King’s Norton to pull the narrow boats through the Wast Hill Tunnel?

In the 1911 census Asenath Jane Boulton was a Card Box maker and 30 years old. Working in a chocolate and cocoa factory. She was living with her father Alfred Boulton who was 62 and a steam tug engine driver, Canal Co. Worker. His address is given as (Machine House) Worcester Wharf, Bridge St, Birmingham.

The thread starts by mentioning Tunnel Cottages in Masshouse Lane, just where are they in Masshouse Lane?
Did anyone locate Machine House on Worcester Wharf? My Gt x 3 Grandfather Rowland G Long was the Public Wharfinger living at Machine House in the 1871 Census

Back