• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tudor Cinema, Kings Heath

Jayell

master brummie
Can anyone tell me when this cinema opened and whether it had any connection to the Clifton Cinema Circuit?

My Mom was working at the Tudor in 1932, and my Dad managed the Tudor and was there in 1934 and possibly before, then moved to the Clifton at Fallings Park, Wolverhampton, and then to the Clifton in Great Barr.

Hi Judy 39,
if my memory serves me corrrectly the TUDOR was an ABC circuit cinema.
Regards Chris Bryan.

Colin - I forgot I had previously asked about the date of the opening of the Tudor, but I was also interested in whether there was any connection with the Clifton Cinema Circuit.

ChrisB - Thank you for the information re the ABC Cinema Circuit. I didn't think there was a connection between the Tudor/Cliftons but just wondered if anyone knew differently.

Hello Judy

The Tudor opened on the 30th of March 1929, and was indeed part of the ABC network of cinema's as you can see from the picture.

Phil

YardleyWoodTudorCinema.jpg

Judy

I believe the B&W photo was to early before ABC took it on and the Colour one was then a Mecca Bingo and ABC could have sold it on.:)

I also notice the photo you and Colin posted is in my Book as the Tudor Haunch Lane Yardley:)

This is the only Cinema in Kings Heath was the Kingsway High Street closed 1980 I knew and the last time I went was 1970s to see Lady Sings the Blues Diana Ross

There was one other called the Kings Heath Picture House Institute Road which opened 1911 changed to the Cosy 1914 closed in1915

Last edited:
Yes Alf, the black and white photo belonged to my parents and I guess the date would be early 1930's. Yes it was in Haunch Lane. The coloured one I took myself about 1987.

Here is a photo of my Mom when she worked there. The back of the photo says "Tudor Theatre, August 1932 - Girls". My Mom is the second seated on the right (next to the man with tie). See all the green fields and trees in the background!

Last edited:
So its not the Tudor Kings Heath I guess. Its Yardley Haunch Lane.

Lovely Photo of Mom and her friends.:)

Alf,

Its Haunch Lane, on the border of Yardley Wood and Kings Heath, so don't confused it with Yardley which is over Sheldon Way. The other cinema in Kings Heath was The Ideal in York Rd which became the Ritz.

Phil

I am not confusing Yardley with anything we are talking about the Tudor Kings Heath which was the Title of the thread.

I said the only Cinema (I KNEW ) in Kings Heath was the Kingsway.

According to my book the Ideal was in High Street opened in 19134 closed 1931

In the 1950s the Tudor and the Carlton in Taunton Road Sparkbrook were owned by a family called, I think, Rogers.

I am not confusing Yardley with anything we are talking about the Tudor Kings Heath which was the Title of the thread.

I said the only Cinema (I KNEW ) in Kings Heath was the Kingsway.

According to my book the Ideal was in High Street opened in 19134 closed 1931

Alf

I'm sorry if I sounded patronising its just my way with words, if I gave offence please accept my apology, as I did not mean to do so.

The information I have gives the Ideal as York Rd, I have walked past it many times, its hidden away behind that big pub there I think its the Hare and hounds though I am not sure.

Phil

Don't think of it Phil, I can come over the same at times its the Brummie in me:)

I could never understand the difference between Yardley & Yardley Wood I have a few relations buried in Yardley Cemetery from Small Heath they were born in Aston and London.

Last edited:
Yes Haunch Lane was inbetween Kings Heath and Yardley Wood, so I suppose either address would be correct. Haunch Lane was/is? near Billesley Common. My Mom lived in Bromwall Road which ran off Yardley Wood Road and was very near to the Common. Her address was Bromwall Road, Billesley.

To PMC1947 The Ideal and the Ritz Kings Heath

Thanks PMC. I'm not old enough to remember the Ideal but I did go to the Ritz as a dancehall. I often wondered if they were one and the same with the entrance and lobby to the cinema from the High Street (round the back of the Hare and Hounds).

Do you have any more details?

Thanks again

RobertS

As the Ideal closed in 1932, I'm afraid that I don't remember it either, and I am also sorry that I do not have any further information about the Ritz either as I don't think I ever got in there, but being as I know all about the doubles bar in the Hare and Hounds next door, for all I know I may have been.

Phil

TheRitz.jpg

Alf

I thought you might like to know that, Victor J Price in his book Birmingham Cinemas gives the location for the Tudor Cinema as Haunch Lane, Kings Heath.

I think the problem lies in the fact that it was close to the border with both postal districts.

judy39

I thought you might like to know that the book says the last films shown by the Tudor were "Petticoat Pirates" and "Drums for a Queen" on Saturday 17th March 1962.

Phil

Thanks for that Phil but I was just questioning Judy's Thread Title, if it had been Tudor Yardley Wood I'd have got that right as its in my book.

I think we will have to give her 50 Lines Phil:D

Nice photo of the Ritz where was the Pub Hare & Hounds on the High Street. I only went to one Pub and that was HQ for a Football Team Kings Heath Utd think Sunday League

Now, now boys!! Be nice;) Guess you were both right, and so was I:D

Thanks to you both for your input into my question. I think I will have to get the Victor J Price book on Birmingham Cinemas as it sounds as though there would a lot in there of interest Phil.

And Alf, what is the book that you refer to, as that sounds good as well?

The Picture Palaces of Birmingham & Solihull Chris & Rosemary Clegg 1984

Thanks PMC

Thanks PMC. I'm stirring up the memory to try and remember what the inside of the Ritz was like, before its incarnation as a Bingo Hall. (As in the photograph). I remember seeing a host of the 60's bands there but not the surroundings. Thought it would be a good bet that the stage and arch would be those of the old cinema.

In Barry Geens book 'Kings Heath to counrty' there is a brief contemporary note about the cinema commending its entrance and large lobby. This is what got me wondering about the Ritz as the auditorium. The large lobby would be needed to cover 'the depth' of the Hare and Hounds. When the Ideal closed I am also wondering if that was the time of the change to a dancehall. It could well have found a market for 'entertainment' that was less in keeping with the Institute over the road.

I wonder if anyone has an exterior or interior photo.

Incidentaly the postal address for houses opposite the Tudor on Haunch Lane was Kings Heath (Had a distant cousin living there.)

I always enjoy reading the threads on the Birmingham Cinemas of the past.
For most of us they were the "Centre of the Universe" for so many years.
Right from when we went as Minors to Saturday morning or afternoon Matinees for a few years and seeing films that are now considered classics of the day such a Pinocchio, Bambi, Laurel and Hardy, Old Mother Riley, Keystone Cops, Hopalong Cassidy,Gene Autrey, Disney cartoons, etc.
through the years when we went with our friends to be seen. Followed up with visits with our respective boy and girlfriends. We had a great time
and formed our opinions about what we saw on the screen. Most of us haven't forgotten those days. No outside distractions early on since we had no TV only radio.

Happy memories indeed.:)

Jennyann, The 158 channel I told the forum about a couple of weeks ago was showing a Boxing Film with John Garfield this morning and the Dead End Kids were in it did you know the other names they used.:) I didn't till today

Last edited:
I remember when the Tuder was showing "The Dambusters" and the whole of the side of the cinema was covered with posters advertising it.
We used to go every Saturday and fight for the back row as that's were there was money to be found under the seats, I also remember going on stage on my birthday.

Jennyann, The 158 channel I told the forum about a couple of weeks ago was showing a Boxing Film with John Garfield this morning and the Dead End Kids were in it did you know the other names they used.:) I didn't till today

What was the name of the movie Alf? I have quite a few movie dictionaries at home that the internet doesn't think are that glamorous to rape and pillage from. We ain't that posh to have these fancy satellite TV thingys here in Wolverhampton. Its the last cactus before you go out into the desert,you know!:D

Here you are Richie

They Made Me a Criminal - Hal Wallis
Boxer Johnny Bradfield (John Garfield) knocks out a rival in a postfight brawl. Thinking he committed murder, he flees to an Arizona ranch run by hard-as-nails Goldie (Ann Sheridan) and her feisty mother(May Robson) and staffed by Leo Gorcey and the Dead End Kids. Though Johnny is relentlessly dogged by Detective Monty Phelan (Claude Rains), the Kids convince him to finance their future gas station by training for and winning a high stakes prizefight...

Saw One Eyed Jacks yesterday Marlon Brando & Karl Madden:)

Dead End Kids

Here you are Richie

They Made Me a Criminal - Hal Wallis
Boxer Johnny Bradfield (John Garfield) knocks out a rival in a postfight brawl. Thinking he committed murder, he flees to an Arizona ranch run by hard-as-nails Goldie (Ann Sheridan) and her feisty mother(May Robson) and staffed by Leo Gorcey and the Dead End Kids. Though Johnny is relentlessly dogged by Detective Monty Phelan (Claude Rains), the Kids convince him to finance their future gas station by training for and winning a high stakes prizefight...

Saw One Eyed Jacks yesterday Marlon Brando & Karl Madden:)

Keeping myself to speed Alf, and others that might be interested. If you can't make it out size-wise, I'll mail it to you directly.:)

The date of the article is 1977-periodical details if you want them-and is the most comprehensive in my collection of the kids' details at the moment.

Back