• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tucker Eyelets

Thanks Astoness!

Great to see those photographs, they are a short while before my father worked at Tuckers but I am sure he would have known some of the people.
I remember him speaking about Mr Ruddock, in fact I won a certificate for a children's colouring competition and it was signed by him.

Great to see the photo's of the floods. My Fathers family had a factory a few doors down from Tucker's so would also have been flooded. We lived by the Parks so presumably not affected, mind you I would have been a baby at the time so wouldn't have known about it :)

outside tuckers love the rowing boat one as the boat has a number on it i am assuming it was borrowed from nearby perry park...1947
index.php

index.php
Those photos bring back some memories. I actually saw those floods and our bus to town had to divert along Church lane and Aldridge Road. Coming at the end of the severe winter of 1947 the floods were quite a novelty to most kids in the district unless they lived in those flooded houses. The rowing boat would have come from a local park and would have needed a truck to get it there because the flood only reached just north of the Tucker Eyelet Factory. I have a photo on the forum of my dad rowing us in the same type of boat on the Perry Barr Park pool. It is here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/perry-barr.3525/post-172898

Last edited:
hi folks i have not forgotton about posting the photos of the building of tuckers just been a tad busy but i will get them on before the end of the weekend...

lyn

as promised photos of the building of tuckers although looking at the cars etc these are not of the early building of the 30s but of when the factory was extended possibly when it became tucker fasteners..

right here we go..

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    345.3 KB · Views: 47
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 47
  • 09.jpg
    09.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 45
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    366.3 KB · Views: 45
next 5

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    331.3 KB · Views: 24
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    325.7 KB · Views: 27
next 3

Attachments

• 48.jpg
    48.jpg
    390.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 59.jpg
    59.jpg
    416.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
last 3

Attachments

• 26.jpg
    26.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 30
  • 27.jpg
    27.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 28.jpg
    28.jpg
    290.2 KB · Views: 30
My dad (David Hill) worked at Tucker Fasteners for many years between 70's to late 80's early 90's. I remember them putting on a christmas party for all the staff's children, members of staff dressing up putting on a show, a Father Christmas visit (in which I got a little tea set). Also a great spread was provided (great times), they also took the staffs children to a panto one year. All of Tuckers as gone now, it's such a shame.

smashing memories angela thank you for sharing them with us...only the gate house remains now of tuckers so it looks like they will be retaining it...

lyn

Yes lovely memories I really enjoyed the Christmas Parties at my dad's work, we had Christmas hats and paper party whistles really good fun, I have a memory of one Christmas party when a member of staff was dressed as a cat and chasing another member of staff who was dressed as a mouse all around the room. Companies don't seem to do this thing anymore. Tuckers is not far from where I live. I would love to know if anyone as any pictures or memories of the parties they used to have there.

angela my christmas parties were at joseph lucas factory great king street...happy days indeed...hopefully there will be some members who also went to the tuckers parties...

lyn

I have a particular memory etched in my mind about a party at Tuckers, there was a show put on for us that year (in the late 50's) and they had a ventriloquist. He came out into the audience and I was sitting at the end of the row in the isle seat - I just KNEW he was going to pick on me to speak to and I felt so embarrassed and conspicuous!

I always tried to hide behind someone if I knew they was coming around the audience to pick someone out, lol. So they must of been doing Christmas parties for quite a while then, probably mid 80's I started going to them. I remember one outing to see a panto and remember my mom and dad trying to get me to go to it, but for some reason I didn't want to go, I was having a strop and being stubborn so I missed out on that one.

Hi there
My Big Brother and myself worked at Tuckerseyelets in the sixty ,He was an inspector
Of works produced in production,
I myself was a machine minder in the large machine shop looking after about 15 Automatics rivets
Machine producing by the Hundred
If you seen the building front of the premise,s my machines was by the third large widows
Three bays on the right ground floor on the Walsall Road, sadly my older brother died afew years back now
Best wishes Astonian,,

Picture of Tuckers. My dad David Hill is in a blue Shirt and brown jumper standing behind the women. Not sure who the violin player is, but will have to ask my dad if he remembers. This photo was taken 1974.

Attachments

• img098.jpg
    img098.jpg
    177.9 KB · Views: 43
Picture of Tuckers. My dad David Hill is in a blue Shirt and brown jumper standing behind the women. Not sure who the violin player is, but will have to ask my dad if he remembers. This photo was taken 1974.
The man playing violin is Arnold Quale and the lady is Rosie Owen.

I remember Dad bringing home the Insight magazine.
Mr (Ronnie?) Hodge and Mr (Bert?)Stammers are names I remember him speaking about.

I remember Dad bringing home the Insight magazine.
Mr (Ronnie?) Hodge and Mr (Bert?)Stammers are names I remember him speaking about.
It's a shame I can't upload anymore of the pages of the Insight mag. I will ask my dad if he remembers them name you mentioned.

Back