• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tube Works in Ladywood

Peter Faulkner

proper brummie kid
My great grandfather was a tube drawer and later a driller and engineering labourer who live in locations all around Shakespeare Road, Monument Road and Beach Street in the 1890s to 1940s.
I notice that in the middle of all those locations were two large factories: the Credenda Tube Works (by 1913 that seems to have become a soap works) and the Ledham Street Engineering Works which are likely places he may have been employed. Does anyone know more about these businesses and if there are any photos of them available?
Thanks, Peter

The second address is LEDSAM street. The engineering works was next to the soap works between the street and the canal. I believe it was the property that was to become Bellis and Morcom.

I have a book that belonged to my grandfather titled "A Factory of Quick-revolution Engines: Being a Brief Account of Their Works at Birmingham England" It has a picture of the Bellis & Morcom works which I have attached.

ABDF8E1C-0035-4AAC-A647-0BF2EF75DD62.jpeg

My father worked at Belliss & Morcom Ltd. on submarine engines during the War. Thanks for the photo.
rosie.

Thanks for the picture diphort and for the info Ladywoodite!
Now that the 1921 Census is released I checked my great grandfather and it shows that he worked for James Archdale and Co of Ledsam Street, so I assume this is the same place?

I don't think so. The James Archdale & Co 'Manchester Works' on Ledsam Street was in the triangle formed between Ledsam Street, Monument road and Great Tindal Street. The Bellis & Morcom premises were as on the attached map.920BBABC-1D73-4784-8C18-AFDF54FAFC1A.jpeg

Back