• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tube Drawer

Tri_Rich

Hi I was hoping someone could help me please about a job called a Tube Drawer?

My Great-Grandma was Ada Whitehouse who was born in Birmingham. Unfortunately that was a very common name at that time in Birmingham so I'm trying to be 99% certain I have the right person.

Here's what I have to go off...

Her marriage certificate (looks like she eloped to Lancashire to get married) says her fathers name was Harry Whitehouse who was a 'Tube Drawer'. It says she was 20 when married in 1910.

Looking at the census records I think I have found her but am not certain. In the 1901 census there was an Ada Whitehouse b.1891 and her Dad was Harry Whitehouse with his occupation listed as 'Brass Tube Maker'.

It seems to link up but how can I be certain? Anyone know what a 'Tube Drawer / Brass Tube Maker' job even was? Is it the same thing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

In a nutshell, tube, as in pipes etc are often made by drawing them through a die. Highly skilled job.

The 1881 Census has quite a few tube drawers aged 14-15 so I doubt if they were all 'highly skilled'.

Of course tubes come in many sizes, some are just 'drawn down', reducing the outer diameter and letting the inside diameter look after itself, while some are pulled over a mandrel, when the inner diameter is critical.

The 1881 Census has quite a few tube drawers aged 14-15 so I doubt if they were all 'highly skilled'.

Of course tubes come in many sizes, some are just 'drawn down', reducing the outer diameter and letting the inside diameter look after itself, while some are pulled over a mandrel, when the inner diameter is critical.

Just because the 1881 Census has quite a few tube drawers aged 14-15 it is not indicative of skill level, labour was cheep. If you watch archive footage of tube drawers working or the quality of good they produced, the UK were world leaders in the production of seamless tubing.

Oh come off it! A young age is indicative of a low-skill job, what has cheap labour got to do with it?

The 'skill', the 'art', is getting the die profile right. All the drawer has to do operate the machine pulling the tube, pull, stop, pull, simple. It's a mechanised process.

Your argument is based on nothing. You said, “The 1881 Census has quite a few tube drawers aged 14-15”.

Quite a few, hundred, thousand, millions compared against what? Other trades, other workers, other industries?

How many in the other industries are you making a comparison by?

Have you sources that confirm your theory?

Are you making your comparisons with the technology of 1881 (your date) or technology form more recent times?

Back