• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

James Flynn b 1816Worked As A Tailor In Birmingham C1867

There is a Birmingham death registered in 1874 of a Mary Ann Flinn (born abt 1854).
Yes I know the one to which you refer, and although the dates are a tad out, I am wondering if she was baptised Mary Ann? I say this because when her sister's eldest daughter (my future Grand mother) was born in 1882, she was named Mary Ann...perhaps in memory of her late sister. Food for thought and thanks

In the 1858, 1860,1867 & 1868 directories James Flynn is listed as a shopkeeper at 21 Slaney St. In the 1855 directory Mary Lucas is a shopkeeper there, and in 1872 ther e is no listing for no 21. (Note the year is the year of publication and is usually taken to refer to the year before.) If he had been a tailor it would have listed him as that in the directory. A shopkeeper would almost certainly have been a mixed store selling mixed general items ,
the 1861 census gives James Flynn at no 21 as being a brick labourer, aged52, (born in ireland but cannot decipher county), married to Catherine aged 53
So does not look like your ancestor I'm afraid.
Hi Mikejee thanks for this information. This James Flynn is in my family tree. He was the second husband of my Great, Great, Great Grandmother, and his son Michael was the first husband of my Great Great Grandmother (she was his step sister so no direct relation).

Last edited:
I have been very interested in the information on James Flynn, as I am descended from John Flynn, (3x great grandfather) I have a copy of his marriage certificate, St Michael Church June 1872, James Flynn is recorded as deceased and a tailor. With Bridget Flynn as a witness.

Hi there Smarts, well in that case we are most definitely cousins as James Flynn was my 2nd Gt Grandfather with his second marriage to Bridget (Biddy) Walsh. His son John Flynn a Great Uncle so possibly making us 3rd cousins once removed). I have been researching for a good many years but only really concentrated on my Irish ancestry these last 5 or so. I know John & Louisa (Maber) had a sizeable family (10 children I believe) and so would be interested in finding out more about your own line of descent. (I note from my Tribal pages I have been in communication with a Jackie Warren who also descended via John & Louisa; perhaps you know of her also?) I am not sure about private messaging on the Bham Forum so can I suggest you email me at [email protected] and I will be happy to see if I can be of help to you, and of course, you to me. If you reply back we can take it from there. Best regards Noodles

On here private messaging is called a "conversation". You need to change your preferences to allow this to happen. Smarts already allows this.
Members are advised not to post email addresses on open forum but to exchange them by PM.

Thanks and I believe I have now changed my preferences and allow conversations with 'Members' hopefully this is correct. I just have to check how one access PM but I am sure I will work this out when I am ready to use same.

Yes you have. To start a conversation click on the name under someone's avatar and then "start a conversation"
1635178677130.png
To read a message sent to you - it will show as a red number by the envelope next to your name at the top of the screen. (I have just had a message and it shows like this_ Click on the envelope to read.
1635178797542.png

Back