• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trying to identify country and uniform

Hi Chocs2,thanks very much but I couldn't get the link to work, i will google it. I have have had another idea,i will contact Toms regiment 1st/6th Bn Glosters.Angela.

Hi again Chocks. Well,well ,i googled it and came up with the same thing, now the mystery takes another turn,or maybe it answers our question. I may be going off subject but I would like to tell you all a very sad and sometimes happy story that all you lovers of family history will understand and find interesting,i hope. Presuming the Wiki Mark 111 helmet info is correct the photo is more likely to be Frank,my Grandads Nephew,the son of my granddads elder stepbrother. Frank was killed on 30th July 1944 age 36 in France, he is buried in Bayeux Millitary Cemetary . The helmets were first worn in combat by British and Canadian troops on Dday,which was 7 weeks before Frank died. The story our father told us was that Frank was killed in a motorbike accident in Bordsley Green,and thats all he knew. About 3 years ago I decided to try and find out more. I found a marriage in 1930 to Ada Hollick in Washwood heath and found them both in 1935 still in Washwood Heath with more research I managed to find relatives of Ada in Birmingham and my sister and I went to visit them. To our great surprise and pleasure they gave us Franks gold signet ring ,engraved with his initials,which with more research we believe to be his wedding ring, assayed in Birmingham in 1930 the year of his marriage to Ada,then they told us what they knew. Ada was told that Frank was shot in the head by a sniper 2 hours before the Armistice was signed,you can imagine how upset we were to hear this, but then I pointed out that the war ended in 1945 so we agreed this may not be true. They told us Ada was buried in Yardley cemetery and that she had managed to visit Franks grave in France and that Frank and Ada had no children and just lived for their motorbike and the regular outings in the countryside,it makes me cry whenever I think of them and how she must have felt when she got news of his death. I decided to send for Franks death certificate but all it confirmed was that Frank had indeed died in a motorcycle accident but in France,there was no mention of the circumstances. We kept in touch with Adas family and we have since been given his war medals. I think more research is needed to find what regiment he was in ,all I know is that he was in the R.E.M.E. so at least he died doing what he loved. Angela.

Again I have to agree with Baz here I don't think I have ever seen a family portrait photo of a uniformed member in a "Tin AT", I may be wrong here, I have seen group photo's of "Dads Army", and wardens and police, but never a portrait. Also the Mk 111, wasn't issued in any great number, and it was very deep in the neck area, which your photo, (of what can be gleened, as it is very fuzzy), does not seem to show that. Paul.

I expect you know that on CWGC site for Frank Rollinson it just says REME, number 10588579 and that he was a driver. It lists his parents and wife Ada and says he is buried at Bayeaux War Cemetery.

Janice

Hi Paul,yes I have thought the same ,the portraits are usually taken with flat dress hat. My relative Frank was killed in France 7 weeks after the D DAY landings and according to Wikipedia those helmets were issued to the British and Canadians at that time. I dont know if Frank took part in D Day,i think I need to do some more research,Angela.

Back