• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trying to find my Great Grandad Robert Astle Born about 1841

Gwynfor

knowlegable brummie
Hi I am wondering if anyone can help me find my Great Grandad Robert Astle who was born about 1841. He had a son called William Astle born 1880 who married Mary Caine in Birmingham in 1900. Mary and william had Children,May, Thomas,George,Alice, William Robert and my Dad John. I have come to a standstill and cant seem to find Robert anywhere, The Astle family lived in Aston Birmingham.
Regards Diana Williams EX Astle

Robert Astle born 1841 is on the 1851 census he is down as Richard but corrected to Robert underneath
the image is not very clear but you can just see it is Robert.
Robert`s parents are William Astle born 1815 a Tobacconist and Julia Fountain i think her year of birth may be wrong
yes i have looked on the image Julia born 1816
Children
George born 1837
William 1834
Charlotte but down as Charles born 1848
Robert born 1841
Edward born 1851

It is not very clear on the Image but the Astles lived in Bradford Street in 1851

William Astle and Julia Fountain married on the 20 July 1837 in Edgbaston
also William was born in Liverpool and Julia in Birmingham

I have found Robert Astle on the 1861 Census living in Newcastle upon Tyne
with mother Julia age 46 she as been put down as John
Charlotte age 15
Julia age 12
Edward age 10
Mary age 4

I can`t find Robert after 1861 but will take another look

robert astle was christened at st. martins in birmingham on 18th oct 1841

robert son of william and julia astle born 22 jul 1841 living cheapside. fathers occ tobacconist.

his brother william was christened on the same day. william was born 20 jan 1840

robert astle was christened at st. martins in birmingham on 18th oct 1841

robert son of william and julia astle born 22 jul 1841 living cheapside. fathers occ tobacconist.

his brother william was christened on the same day. william was born 20 jan 1840

Hi I know this looks right but im not 100% sure that William and Julia are roberts parents, Could you let me know where you got the information from, on the 1851 cenus William Roberts brother was born 1834 and they had children George,Charlotte and Edward do you think this is right? Robert is a mistery and its driving me round the bend looking for his birth or a marriage. Regards Diana

hi diana, the records are from the original records from st. martins church so they are definitely correct.

the family appear on the 1841 cnesus living cheapside but this was before robert was born.

have found these further records at st. martins which may be useful.

8 apr 1844 baptism of alice daughter of william and julia astle. born 16 dec 1843. digbeth, tobacconist
25 mar 1846 baptism of charlotte daughter of william and julia astle. born 10 feb 1846 . digbeth, tobacconist
25 nov 1850 baptism of edward son of william and julia astle. no birth date. bromford street. tobacconist
14 mar 1853 baptism of thomas son of william and julia astle. no birth date. edgbaston street. tobacconist

theres a marriage on 31 jan 1842 of a robert astle. full age. bachelor. green street. tobacconist. - father robert astle. tobacconist
to ursula swindlehurst. full age. spinster. mill lane. - father john swindlehurst. tobacconist.
witnesses were william fell and sarah smallwood.

theres also a burial on 5 sep 1840 of robert astle. trent street. aged 49 yrs.

all of these records are on the original records of st. martins birmingham

i think this will be the birth record for robert.

robert astell. 1841 jul-sep birmingham volume no. 16 page no. 267

Back