• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trying to find Daniel Webb Glass Merchant

Philip Webb

Brummie babby
Hi I trying to find out anything about my great grandfather who was a glass merchant in Birmingham late 1800-1900s I think he also owned a 'Court' in Birmingham somewhere. Any help would be greatly received.

Hi Mikejee
No I hadn't seen them, I did see a mention on a request several years ago that said my grandfather Daniel Webb owned a 'Court' in Birmingham but not able to find it since.
We mortals thank you all for the help you give us
Phil

Census shows 1881 6 Essex Street
Daniel Webb age 38 b Great rollright, Oxfordshire, Glass merchant
Harriet age 33
Daniel J 14
Thomas 13
John 11
George 6
Arthur 4
Frank 1

Daniel webb( father Richard) married Harriet bird (father James) 15th October 1865

1891 the family are at 270 Pershore road with more children Albert,Ada, Lizzie and Roland

Census shows 1881 6 Essex Street
Daniel Webb age 38 b Great rollright, Oxfordshire, Glass merchant
Harriet age 33
Daniel J 14
Thomas 13
John 11
George 6
Arthur 4
Frank 1

Daniel webb( father Richard) married Harriet bird (father James) 15th October 1865

1891 the family are at 270 Pershore road with more children Albert,Ada, Lizzie and Roland
Roland was my grandfather ! Daniel J Webb died in his early 30s, not sure how - suicide. Coo this is good ! like being a detective !! thanks ever so much, m Philip Webb

If he committed suicide there may be an inquest (Birmingham library hold records but won't do a search for you - either a visit or pay a researcher - I am waiting to visit - they will tell you if they gave a record if you have a rough date) and the death cert may tell you the cause of death.
The reason can be quite blunt - I have one and it is a good job I was expecting suicide.

A bit more interest Philip

1851 Gt Rollright
Richard Webb age 54 b Gt Rollright Ag.labourer
Hannah age 47 b Quinton Gloucs.
children all b Gt Rollright
Thomas 24,
william 21
Joseph 14
Hannah 11
Daniel 8
Michael 5
Emma 1