• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Trying to find 35 Yates or Gates Ave, Birmingham.

Sue50

Brummie babby
Hi all, the 1912 marriage of Stephen Bevan and Beatrice Louisa Hodges is attached and gives their place of residence as 35 Yates or Gates Ave ( or Dr). As I cannot find this address I am presuming the Avenue no longer exists, can anybody assist me with this location now? I have not been able to locate Stephen Bevan (born 1886, Birmingham) in the 1911 Census and I am hoping this address may give me some further clue. Thanking you, Sue.

Attachments

• Bevan Stephen Beatrice Hodges Marriage  1912.JPG
    Bevan Stephen Beatrice Hodges Marriage 1912.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 10
hello sue i have done a bit of detective work..if you look at the map below and as far as i can tell st marys church was on the corner of aston road north just where the letter R for road is on the map..now look to the left of the map and up a little you will see that there is a yates st....i think they must have lived there as its so close to the church which was demolished in the 70s

hope this helps

lyn

hello sue i have done a bit of detective work..if you look at the map below and as far as i can tell st marys church was on the corner of aston road north just where the letter R for road is on the map..now look to the left of the map and up a little you will see that there is a yates st....i think they must have lived there as its so close to the church which was demolished in the 70s

hope this helps

lyn

Hi Lyn,
That's fantastic, thank you so much. The family certainly did not move very far from around the Aston/ Nechells area so I am fairly sure they were there 1911. Perhaps he was in hiding as he can not be found in 1901 but I am sure he was there then as well. Perhaps he valued his privacy!

Sue.

There is a forum post in the link below which has a map showing Yates Street with just about readable house numbers ...

thanks phil i shall post that map here for sue...no 35 is near the end of the street..

sue as you cant find stephen bevan on the 1901 or the 1911 are you sure he was born in birmingham.. looking at his marr cert he was born in 1887...i dont have access to ancestry at the min so maybe some of our members who are could try and locate him for you...here is the map showing no 35 yates street..if you save it to your pc or lappy you should be able to zoom in on it

yates street.jpg

Hi Lyn,
There is an aerial photo of the area dated 1939 and I've marked Yates Street with a small yellow dot.
Phil
LichfieldRd1939.jpg
from 'britainfromabove' website

Having looked at some of the other entries in the Register, made by the same Minister, I consider that the address written is 35 Yates St.

thanks phil i shall post that map here for sue...no 35 is near the end of the street..

sue as you cant find stephen bevan on the 1901 or the 1911 are you sure he was born in birmingham.. looking at his marr cert he was born in 1887...i dont have access to ancestry at the min so maybe some of our members who are could try and locate him for you...here is the map showing no 35 yates street..if you save it to your pc or lappy you should be able to zoom in on it

View attachment 138276

Hi Lyn, OM & Astoness and others…..

Many thanks for your contributions, map etc.
In answer to your question, yes, Stephen was born in Birmingham and I have included a few more dates and details as they may help.

1886.Stephen Bevan was born September 1886 at 10 Court, 3 House, Allasley Street, Aston to Stephen and Mary Ann Bevan.
1891 Census. Stephen Bevan, 4 years of age, living with parents at 3 Court 2 House Richard St, Birmingham.
1901 Census. Cannot find Stephen Bevan.
On 15 August 1902 he signed up for 6 years at Birmingham with the 6th Bat Royal Warwickshire and gave two addresses on his Attestation Record as detailed below.

1902. Attestation Record. British Army Service Records. 1902.
Name: STEPHEN BEVAN. Corps: 6th Bat, Royal Warwickshire. No. 8886
Where were you born: Birmingham Parish, Birmingham Town, Warwickshire.
Where do you reside: Back 101, Thimble Mill Lane, Nechelles, Birmingham, Warwickshire.
Where have you resided in the last 12 months: As Above and 18 Lime Grove and Walter St, Birmingham. (18 Lime Grove is his fathers address. Stephen Bevan was not recorded at this address in the 31 March,1901 Census).
Name of present Master: Mr Rigby, Birmingham, Warwickshire.

He is known to have served overseas in India, having received the North West Frontier Medal in 1908 and as this was 6 years after he enlisted I am at the moment ‘assuming’ he then returned to Birmingham.

1911 Census. Stephen Bevan not found. (Perhaps still in military?).

1912. Marriage to Beatrice Louisa Hodges.

1914. 10 May. His son Stephen Alfred Bevan was born at Sydney Place, Bright Street, Aston.

1914. WW1. Pte Stephen Bevan, Regimental No 9037. Rank: Private. 1st Bat.R.War.R. (1st Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment).

Many thanks for your help,
Sue.

Even if he was in the military in 1911 he should appear on the census. My great uncle was in the army in India but ppears on the 1911 census - record completed by army. So Stephen is a mystery.

In 1922 they lived at 4 back of 13 St James Street (possibly Gladstone Buildings - the e roll is difficult to follow).

Last edited:
Hi All,
Many thanks to all who have replied, wonderful information and great maps!
The explanation of Stephen Bevan not being in the 1901 & 1911 will come to light one day.

Sue.

you are most welcome sue....we love a mystery on here and like to help solve them for our members who hit a brick wall...i shall be subscribing to ancestry today so i will have a look around ...something may turn up.. :) oh do you have a marriage for stephen and mary ann ?

lyn

Last edited:
hi sue as you have most likely got ive found stephens parents in 1901 at lime grove walter st with 3 down as lodgers but no stephen junior who would have been 14 ...will keep looking

lyn

Sue. I presume you have details of his parents Marriage and their 1881 Census entry?
Yes, thank you Ken, I do have them.
I am presuming the 1881 Census street name is: New John Street (and not New Gate Street as I thought it first).
The father's name is inscribed as STEVAN BEVANS, Head of household.

Thanking you,
Sue.

1880. 21 February. Marriage.
Solemnised at St Stephen's Church in the Parish of St Stephen's, Birmingham in the county of Warwick. No: 492. 21 February 1880.
Stephen Bevan, 24, Bachelor. Fork Maker. Harding Street. Father: Stephen Bevan: Glass? Cutter.
Mary Ann Blincoe, 22, Window. Harding Street. Father: Samuel Thompson. Carpenter.
Married in the Parish Church according to the Rights and Ceremonies of the Established Church by Banns by me P Johnson. Signed by Stephen Bevan (his mark) and Maryanne Blincoe (her mark).
Witness: George Bevan (his mark) and Mary Ann Bevan (her mark).

1881 Census.
Return of Birmingham RG 11/2996 Folio 50 Schedule 282. (Stephen Bevan)
New John Street Court 11, House 1, St Stephens Birmingham
Steven Bevans Head Mar 26 cutter/fork maker. Birmingham
Mary Ann Bevans Wife Mar. 23 "
Mary Ann Bevans Dau 2 "
Temperance Bevans 3 mths "
Samuel Thompson Boarder Widow. 52 Carpenter "
Albert Thompson Boarder 16 Labourer "

In 1918 and 1919 he (presumably that might be "they" ) were at 17 St James Street.
View attachment 138306
In 1918 and 1919 he (presumably that might be "they" ) were at 17 St James Street.
View attachment 138306
Hi pjmburns,

Thanks for the St James Street details, am I presuming this would be the Military Barracks and as you mention "they", do I presume it was accommodation for married couples and not just the soldiers.

Best regards,
Sue.

Sorry if I misled you. I meant with his wife - she would not appear on the e roll at that date. It is the same street I found them on in 1922.

Back