• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Triumph

mike jenks

master brummie
Colmore Row

Hi

Thought i would start off with a picture from the 1950's
of Colmore Row. Some super Cars. I think there is a Triumph
Mayflower in the Background.This was a favourite of mine super lines. Nice view of A motor cycle and Side Car. The buildings look splendid.
Spent a few years at Canley. A huge plant the sight of those Sports Cars pouring of the line. Spitfires Tr6's 2000/2500's. Sadley all gone and its a
Super Market now.

Mike

Yes, the razor edge Triumph Mayflower; remember it well. I think there was a larger model along the same lines also. Funny, 40 or 50 hp. seemed more than enough in those days and as Oisin has stated the cars had charachter. I think though the cars would not have been designed to travel at sustained speed on super highways. There were not any in th UK back then. This and the poor record of Lucas electricals in North America (as repoted to me) did not earn the cars many kudos here. However I had two British cars here and they performed reasonably well but there were issues that were design related that were clearly missed.

Triumph Renown

Mike,Great picture of the Triumph.I used to own one of these when I was 18. I bought it off one of my mates for a tenner.Wish I still had it,I bet it would be worth more than that now.It had all wooden trim and copper and brass fittings but I couldn't afford to keep it on the road so I buried it in the back garden of our house in Broughton Road in Handsworth.Wonder if it is still there?That was when you could get 4 GALLONS of petrol and still have change out of a pound.BobS.

Eric Gibson, It looks more like a Devon to me, or the two door Dorset the Hampshire was a wider car, but I may be wrong.

Eric Gibson, It looks more like a Devon to me, or the two door Dorset the Hampshire was a wider car, but I may be wrong.

You are wrong, the Devon had its headlights out on the front of the wings not on the inner panels. E.

Last edited:
What about the cars on the left, Morris Oxford? some vintage of Austin 10? don't rcognise the body.The car further back seems to have an old Ford Grill.
What about the Motor bike. Is that a Panther Sloper with a Swallow sidecar.

Nobody has mentioned going round to BoBS old garden and digging his old car up to restore.....:)

All this talk of cars here's my Dad with his first car I think its a Wolseley 9. The photo was taken in Bevington Road about 1930.

Dad___car.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great photo Moma P. I bet your Dad was very proud of his car. I like the
front bumper style.

Yes Mike the first one looks like it. Cromwell I am still trying to work out the logistics of burying a car. Seems like a herculian task to me. Our back yard I am sure would not have accomodated a car. Why do it anyway when you could more easily put it in your back bed room...er..with the Tiger Moth.

:angel: Rupert, It seems it was the normal thing to do here, to bury old cars in their back gardens, in this Quarter Acre Pavlova Paradise NZ.
Still as you say in a Back-to-Back or even on our Maisonette veranda would have been quit a feat LOL.:)

Eric,
Yes point taken, that's something else i have learned.

I've had 57 years in the trade Darby, from grease monkey to garage owner, I still have to scratch my head to remember some of the cars pictured and I guess I've at some time worked on all of them. E.

Eric,
Do you remember Frank Moseley's in Steward Street Ladywood they were Armstrong Siddeley and Jowat agents, my wife worked there on the switchboard, being very nervous on her first day suddenly the phone rang and she answered " Good morning Oswold Moseleys ", we still laugh about now.

There is a Hillman Minx buried in a garden in Kingstanding.....it was too heavy for the scrap man to remove (this was sometime in the early 1970's)...so we had no other choice than to cut it up and bury it....the lawn has a great drainage system....

I grew up in the middle to late fifties and I would say that the cars of that era and earlier are my favourites.....Standard Vanguard (the one with round back) is probably my favourite...Austin Somerset...Princess....The Mayflower..which I always thought looked like the hat that the sherrif of Nottingham wore in the tv prog Robin Hood...., Hillman, Vauxhall, Rover, Triumph, Morris, Austin, Riley, Ford, etc....all had models you could tell from each other even in the dark......not like today were you have to look at the badge......

Back