• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trevor Street Nechells

hi irene i have moved this thread to streets section of the forum as you may get more of a response...will seach my files and ifi have any of trevor st i will post them for you

lyn

No photos to offer, sorry, but I am interested in any information about why Trevor Street was so called. An ancestor of mine, Phoebe Trevor, ran a shop at 356 Nechells Park Road (also listed as 'Steuart Street') according to Kelly's 1878 Directory for Birmingham. I can see from past and present maps that Stuart Street and Trevor Street form a junction with Nechells Park Road so maybe it was a corner shop? Not much left there now due to redevelopment. The Trevor family were around Birmingham for much of the 19th Century so I was curious about a possible family connection to the street name. Maybe just coincidence?

No photos to offer, sorry, but I am interested in any information about why Trevor Street was so called. An ancestor of mine, Phoebe Trevor, ran a shop at 356 Nechells Park Road (also listed as 'Steuart Street') according to Kelly's 1878 Directory for Birmingham. I can see from past and present maps that Stuart Street and Trevor Street form a junction with Nechells Park Road so maybe it was a corner shop? Not much left there now due to redevelopment. The Trevor family were around Birmingham for much of the 19th Century so I was curious about a possible family connection to the street name. Maybe just coincidence?
i only remember 3 shops. one on the corner of npr....one just down from n.p.r.on the left going down the hill that sold vantas pop.and the other on the corner of mounts st.....1593354225975.png

• Appreciate
Reactions: MSB
Thanks mw0njm.

Subsequent research (and a better understanding of the Trade Directory notation) shows that Phoebe Trevor's shop was most likely a little further down Nechells Park road in the direction of Railway Terrace, probably quite close to Stella Street.

I am still interested in the origins of Trevor Street, not least when it was first built.

Phoebe is listed as a shopkeeper at 356 Nechells park road as far back as the 1855 P.O directory (should be noted that date is date of publication and at that time could refer to 1 or 2 years earlier). Before that, in the 1850 P.O. directory, she is listed as a provision dealer at 85 Coleshill St.

Below is a map c1889, on which the position of no 356 in 1876 is marked in red. the numbering changed around the middle of the 1880s.
map c1889 nechells park road between Stuart st and railway terrace showing no 356 in 1876.jpg

• Appreciate
I am still interested in the origins of Trevor Street, not least when it was first built.

Not always easy to work out the exact year streets were built but as you can see from Mike's map above it was there in 1889.

Searching for Trevor St or some of the other nearby side roads, such as Butlin St, on the 1881 census returns no results and the first result for Trevor Street when searching the newspapers seems to be 1888.

Wow - many thanks for your prompt and informative responses mikejee, MWS, and Astoness.

Before that, in the 1850 P.O. directory, she is listed as a provision dealer at 85 Coleshill St.

She is in Aston Street near Gosta Green with her husband David as early as 1838 acording to two other sources. He was a seedsman or corn merchant, so the 'provision dealer' reference fits well. There is a faint possibility that the Coleshill Street person is her daughter but I have my doubts, as she would only be 20 in 1850.

Interesting to note that the even numbered addresses were on the Stella Street side of Nechells Park Road, as today (if Google Streetview is anything to go by). Also the absence of a front garden on the map indicating a likely shop front.

It would appear that Trevor Street was first constructed in the late 1880s - are there any dated bricks or decorative plaques on buildings to confirm that?

My current understanding is that the shop-owning Phoebe Trevor was most likely to have been my great-great-great-grandmother (Nee Mavity b.1797) as she is listed in the 1878 directory as 'Mrs'. She had a daughter of the same name (b.1830) but if the daughter had married she would surely have changed her surname? If so, by 1878 Phoebe was 81 years old and might have been running the shop for a long time.

Whether this has anything to do with the naming of nearby Trevor Street in the late 1880s I don't know. It could just have easily been the landowner's name, or a local dignitary, but I thought it worth dropping into the mix.

Regarding the above map, this may already be well-known among forum users, but can I put in a word for the NLS side-by-side map viewer which allows you to view modern maps and satellite images alongside historic maps. I have found this to be an invaluable research tool for all manner of reasons.

Full URL: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=52.49911&lon=-1.86694&layers=168&right=osm

Interesting to note that the even numbered addresses were on the Stella Street side of Nechells Park Road, as today (if Google Streetview is anything to go by). Also the absence of a front garden on the map indicating a likely shop front.

Full URL: https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=18&lat=52.49911&lon=-1.86694&layers=168&right=osm

Glad the information we provided was useful. The numbering was changed i the late 1889s to as it is today, but previously (as in 1876)was consecutive (1,2,3,4.. to end of the street and then back down the other side)
David Trevor is also listed at 56 Aston St as a dealer in groceries in Wrightsons 1839/40 directory.

• Appreciate
My current understanding is that the shop-owning Phoebe Trevor was most likely to have been my great-great-great-grandmother (Nee Mavity b.1797) as she is listed in the 1878 directory as 'Mrs'. She had a daughter of the same name (b.1830) but if the daughter had married she would surely have changed her surname? If so, by 1878 Phoebe was 81 years old and might have been running the shop for a long time.

Whether this has anything to do with the naming of nearby Trevor Street in the late 1880s I don't know. It could just have easily been the landowner's name, or a local dignitary, but I thought it worth dropping into the mix.

Phoebe's daughter Phoebe married William/Walter Lilly, registered Sep qtr 1858 Kings Norton.

The elder Phoebe is living with her son William in 1871 in Yardley, so might not have been working in the shop anymore.

• Appreciate
In 1881 Phoebe's daughter Ann is listed as a shopkeeper in Nechells Park Rd, having married George Drake in 1870.

• Appreciate
Phoebe's daughter Phoebe married William/Walter Lilly, registered Sep qtr 1858 Kings Norton.

The elder Phoebe is living with her son William in 1871 in Yardley, so might not have been working in the shop anymore.

In 1881 Phoebe's daughter Ann is listed as a shopkeeper in Nechells Park Rd, having married George Drake in 1870.

Thanks MWS - I haven't delved into the wider family tree in any systematic fashion yet, but all clues are welcome. I'm beginning to wonder if the Trade Directories list the proprietor's name rather than the actual shopkeeper? The business may have still been in her name in 1878 even if the staff were of a different generation.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Back