• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Societies: Tree Lovers' League

Do you still have the badge? I have one given to me by my grandfather who was the league’s secretary. Maybe you remember the bulletins that had beautiful pen and ink drawings.

Do you still have the badge? I have one given to me by my grandfather who was the league’s secretary. Maybe you remember the bulletins that had beautiful pen and ink drawings.

Sorry,badge disappeared many years ago.
Planting the tree was the one and only participation in The Tree Lovers League for me. Never heard anymore after the tree was planted. I think it was in 1962. I left St George's in January 1963. So there may have been more involvement via the school but I was not part of it.
Actually I never heard of the League again until Pomgolian posted the initial thread on the forum.
I wonder if that tree is still there?:)

NoddKD

Sorry,badge disappeared many years ago.
Planting the tree was the one and only participation in The Tree Lovers League for me. Never heard anymore after the tree was planted. I think it was in 1962. I left St George's in January 1963. So there may have been more involvement via the school but I was not part of it.
Actually I never heard of the League again until Pomgolian posted the initial thread on the forum.
I wonder if that tree is still there?:)

NoddKD
Thanks for letting me know. I certainly hope your tree is still there!

I was a teenage tree lover...

I WAS in the Tree lovers league!
I've written here that I once won a poetry book which was awarded by them, the presentation was in the Celon tea centre, back of the Hall of Memory.
It was on that day that I was ambushed by a female Honey monster who beat the poo out of me for bullying her sister (she deserved it, she was a girl)
In the struggle for my life as she jumped up and down on my adams apple I lost it...Lovely day out though!
I even remember the poem I wrote to win the prize..
(I'll apologise now)

The wind howls round the corners (sic)
It sweeps across the street.
It picks up people, young and old.
And blows them off their feet.

Ta dahhhhhhhhh!
Haven't written that back down in over 40 years...(do you blame me?) 8)
I am starting to do some archive work and hope to produce a web site soon for the league. Have you still got your poetry book?

I too was a member of the City of Birmingham Tree Lovers League.To become members we pulled out two names out of a hat. This was at St. Lukes School which was newly built on Bristol St. I had a book which had a photo of the teacher (Mr. Felix) I think, planting a tree with the Lord Mayor, i would love to know if it is still there, . I have still got my badge., and even wore it to a greenwood working conference, funny though nobody recognised it!!!
I hope your tree is still there too!

I do remember being in the Tree Lovers League - year was probably 1966/7. I have loved trees ever since. I too was at St Lukes and Mr Felix was my favourite teacher (we were lucky enough to be taught by him in second year and fourth year Juniors). I remember going to look at trees in Cannon Hill Park, however I think it was possibly our Headmistress R D Sowells who accompanied us, memory is fading but I do recall being assigned a Cypress tree. It was so strange to see Margaret Cooper's thread as only two days prior ,my sister and I were talking about the very same school, teacher,and the Tree Lovers League !!
Sadly I lost my badge too but it was the same as those photo's sent in.
I have a copy of the Cannon Hill handbook produced at the time. It is beautifully illustrated and I will be producing PDF copies soon for anyone who wants one.

Attachments

• DEBE30B6-E277-4990-9BC7-1E168A23C645.jpeg
    DEBE30B6-E277-4990-9BC7-1E168A23C645.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 7
:D Is there anyone else out there who planted trees in and around 1960 and became a member of the "CITY OF BIRMINGHAM TREE LOVERS LEAGUE" ? I think the project was done through the schools, I know that is how I became a member. One day one of our teachers came into our classroom and said all those who were wearing a school uniform ( About 6). Had to go with her, uniform was not compulsory at that time at our school. We all boarded a bus with girls from other classes and were taken to help plant trees ( I'm not sure where we went as we were not told). There were other school kids there, and The Mayor and some others gave speaches, then and we went back to school on the bus. At the end of that year we were invited to a Christmas party at the Town Hall and the place was packed, we were all given preasents ( Mine was a big box of paints). When we reached year four ( Sec' Mod' that is). We were deemed to be too old for the Christmas party, but were still members of the League. Do you still have this "League"? I still have my badge to prove I was a "Green" 8) before it was the fashion. :lol:
I planted a tree at Chivenor Primary School around 1967. We were given a Tree Loves League badge

Like you fergie, I too was a member of the Tree Lovers League, and I dont know what happened to my badge either. In fact I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks to you both.
Yes I was a member too @ Junior School. I had a green Tree Lovers League badge. No idea where it is now. I also remember the slogan @ school. 'Plant a Tree in '73!'

Back