• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Societies: Tree Lovers' League

Pomgolian

Kiwi Brummie
:D Is there anyone else out there who planted trees in and around 1960 and became a member of the "CITY OF BIRMINGHAM TREE LOVERS LEAGUE" ? I think the project was done through the schools, I know that is how I became a member. One day one of our teachers came into our classroom and said all those who were wearing a school uniform ( About 6). Had to go with her, uniform was not compulsory at that time at our school. We all boarded a bus with girls from other classes and were taken to help plant trees ( I'm not sure where we went as we were not told). There were other school kids there, and The Mayor and some others gave speaches, then and we went back to school on the bus. At the end of that year we were invited to a Christmas party at the Town Hall and the place was packed, we were all given preasents ( Mine was a big box of paints). When we reached year four ( Sec' Mod' that is). We were deemed to be too old for the Christmas party, but were still members of the League. Do you still have this "League"? I still have my badge to prove I was a "Green" 8) before it was the fashion. :lol:

:?
No, not in Birmingham. However, The Friends of The Urban Forest is a new organization as well as Urban Gardener Movement.
What happened to that spirit of voluntarism?
Incidentally, were there photographs kept?

That kind of planting - trees, shrubbery - is ideal for primary school children as it has am immensely powerful in perpetuity result.

Plaques as an sense of occasion done. They could in turn be produced by the foundation classes at the metropolitan (collegiate) arts and crafts facilities? This is hardly rocket science - which I mean in the nicest way.

If you look at recent snaps on VB and this site you will soon notice a massive suboptimal shortfall in terms of intelligently so arboreal, shrubbery - at least. Be there insufficient parkland for incubation in Birmingham and District (at taxpayer cash transaction expense)?

I appreciate what you gals did. Apparently a massive flop obtained soon thereafter when Harold Wilson's regime took office 1964.
:wink:

:D hmld, I'm not sure where you would find photos :?: , but some were taken. I now live in what is known as 'THE GARDEN CITY' of New Zealasnd, Christchurch. And like you people who still live in 'Brum' we are having great problems retaining both our 'Green bits and our old buildings'. More money in building 'Town Houses' (Blocks of flats). I must say the idea :idea: of the young planting the trees is a good one, and getting some recognition for doing so is also a good idea. Here in Ch-Ch we do have what is known as 'Arbour Day' once a year and the school children do just that, plant new trees. :D

This is a topic very close to my heart.

I live in a tree-lined street of garage/driveless terraced houses. Three times recently, we have had to petition the council to prevent trees being removed so that dropped kerbs could be made for people to drive their cars onto their awful block-paved front gardens.

One neighbour (university educated) would not sign the petition on the grounds that all the trees should come down as the dust from their leaves causes respiratory problems. She, her husband and two sons all smoke. :shock:

:D Paul sorry to say, but your neighbour can't be that well educated, as the more 'TREES' we have the better the air that we breathe. Because said trees inhale carbon dioxide and exhale oxygen.

Trees

The leaves also absorb other dangerous elements in the air, so maybe your neighbour needs education in the benefits of living in a tree lined street? Trees, like those old buildings we all love are taken for granted, you don't realise what you have till its gone!!

Thanks for the support, Pom & Rod. That's exactly how I understood it. But I only went to Handsworth New Road Secondary Modern. :?

And, of course, smoking does your repiratory system no end of good, doesn't it? 8)

Oh, and she moved from another nearby road because ours is more aesthetically pleasing. :roll:

I was a teenage tree lover...

I WAS in the Tree lovers league!
I've written here that I once won a poetry book which was awarded by them, the presentation was in the Celon tea centre, back of the Hall of Memory.
It was on that day that I was ambushed by a female Honey monster who beat the poo out of me for bullying her sister (she deserved it, she was a girl)
In the struggle for my life as she jumped up and down on my adams apple I lost it...Lovely day out though!
I even remember the poem I wrote to win the prize..
(I'll apologise now)

The wind howls round the corners (sic)
It sweeps across the street.
It picks up people, young and old.
And blows them off their feet.

Ta dahhhhhhhhh!
Haven't written that back down in over 40 years...(do you blame me?) 8)

I went on a school trip from Lakey Lane Junior School as part of the Tree Lovers League. I think we went to the Forest of Dean it must have been about 1968. The teacher pulled names out of a hat to select two lucky children I was one but I can't remember who the other was. I recall the badge and beleive I had one but where it is now I don't know.

Like you fergie, I too was a member of the Tree Lovers League, and I dont know what happened to my badge either. In fact I had completely forgotten about it. Thanks to you both.

Last edited by a moderator:
hello,pomgolian, i have a photo of the tree lovers league, from 1968-9, we won a garden contest, our school was rea st in highgate, all us kids are in it plus the committie of the league, i will dig it out the pic ,o,k all the best,...christy.

hi,everyone, here is the photo, TREE LOVERS LEAGUE, CHAIRMAN,[ mrs crees, & alderman,mrs crosskey, most of us came from st,martins flats, i am in the middle. REA.ST SCHOOL. highgate, 1968-9, great times,, all the best,...christy..

pomgolian, yes the same one, i wish now i had one, i always look at car boots for any? i wonder if they are still going,[tree lovers league]. i will have to put up a better photo as you can not read what it says, if you here of any badges, going please let me know,all the best. regards,...christy..

hello,pomgolian, the chairman of the tree lovers league,[mrs crees] was awarded a MBE, for her work.& was given a box set of booklets,. all the booklets were given to parents from each school, our school [REA ST] was a pink colour, so there must be a book from each sch who was in the tree lovers league in the 1960,s. i did contact b,ham education some time back, they never herd of it?. when i did find my photo in the booklet i sent b,ham a copy. so some times you have to dig deep to get results,. all the best,..christy..

The Tree Lovers League was run by the Planning Department by Roz Marshall and the supply and planting of the trees was carried out by the Parks Department. Sort of faded away after Ms Marshall left but has now been rejuvinated by The Birmingham Trees for Life

https://www.btfl.org.uk/

hi,everyone, i hope this photo is a better copy,to read. the kids, from REA.ST SCHOOL.[HIGHGATE] 1968] i am stuck in the middle as always,. take care my friends,...regards,...christy..

Hello Christy

I do hope that the tree lovers league goes on as trees are a particular favourite of mine as regards nature. I found a beautiful little book all about trees at my local hospice book shop, by Janet Harvey Kelman. It was quite old as there was an inscription on the fly leaf by someone who owned the book in November 1935. I think it was perhaps for college reading but I found it fascinating the descriptions of the trees were wonderful. It is lovely to know that there are other like minded people out there. take care Valerie

I was talking to a farmers wife a few months ago, she was late for a meeting dashed in and apologised saying sorry i was stock taking. I asked her had they got many stock on the farm, she replied i don't mean livestock i mean the trees. I laughed, she said, ( no i mean it,) we have to count all of the trees on the farm even if we plant new ones or remove any others. This is thanks to the EU...Cat

I too was a member of the City of Birmingham Tree Lovers League.To become members we pulled out two names out of a hat. This was at St. Lukes School which was newly built on Bristol St. I had a book which had a photo of the teacher (Mr. Felix) I think, planting a tree with the Lord Mayor, i would love to know if it is still there, . I have still got my badge., and even wore it to a greenwood working conference, funny though nobody recognised it!!!

hello,margaret,i see over st lukes sch its all coming down in that area,[belgrave rd]. even my old sch,rea st, has gone. we all had badges, where have they all gone to?. i still look in old shops for any, badges. when i am passing,.. take care...regards,..christy...

hi,everyone, badges of the tree lovers league are being sold on a web page, if you are interested, all the best...christy

Let me know where i can get a badge it you know where. Didn't know that St. Lukes is coming down or has it already.

I do remember being in the Tree Lovers League - year was probably 1966/7. I have loved trees ever since. I too was at St Lukes and Mr Felix was my favourite teacher (we were lucky enough to be taught by him in second year and fourth year Juniors). I remember going to look at trees in Cannon Hill Park, however I think it was possibly our Headmistress R D Sowells who accompanied us, memory is fading but I do recall being assigned a Cypress tree. It was so strange to see Margaret Cooper's thread as only two days prior ,my sister and I were talking about the very same school, teacher,and the Tree Lovers League !!
Sadly I lost my badge too but it was the same as those photo's sent in.

St Lukes has already gone, as has Matthew Boulton old college. I understand the old St Luke's church is also earmarked for demolition

I played a shepherd in a nativity play in the church. I remember Miss Sowells and she often wore a green suit. My sister was in Mr.Chalis's class before she left but she didn't like him but she liked Mr. Felix. My brother and sister went to the school in Spring Road and I started in the old school in Bristol Street before it was demolished.

i remember the TREE LOVERS LEAGUE. iI always wanted a badge and im afraid the only way i got one was 45 years later off ebay. But i got one ☺

Back