• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trantom & Co Pershore Road Stirchley

The above photo is No2 St Stephens Rd, the other store by the school is round the corner to the left.

The phot certainly seems to show that the Trantoms was opposite the dogpool. . will have to work out what that means for my conclusions

Yes, that was definitely the St Stephens Road shop, but the one at 164 was further down as marked on the map.

The phot certainly seems to show that the Trantoms was opposite the dogpool. . will have to work out what that means for my conclusions
Don’t forget the Dogpool pub moved to the opposite corner (diagonally) after this photo was taken.

Didn’t think the reverse had been posted in the listing, there was only the one photo of the front. I’ve gone back to the fuller description and it shows a photo of the reverse on there. Here it is. Looks like 1915. The author says it’s ‘our shop’ and he/she mentions Ernest, I think. It’s signed off “love from all at 79” Maybe 79 was their home address. Viv.

98CDF6E9-0848-4DCD-BC39-2957C89A2C2D.jpeg

George Trantom, grocer and provisions living in Liverpool (1911 census). They must have just moved out of B,Ham.

If there’s no listing of the Trantom’s shops in 1915 in Brum, maybe this was a shop elsewhere (like Liverpool if they moved there.

I wondered why they had a map of Europe in the window, maybe it was to map the progress of WW1 if the photo is 1915. Viv.

I have my doubts, I knew this corner well in the 50s, the upstairs was the Stirchley working mans club. Not sure how long it was there before the 50s though.

Me too Grea. The name fascia looks different, although they could have had that altered. And the position of the shop doesn’t look correct. It’s one of their shops obviously, but I don’t think its the one in the original photo. Viv.

Viv, I’m still convinced the original photo is the one next to Selly Park girls school. 1st the number 164 is the same as the Adams Store, and secondly it looks like a post office on the left and that’s where there was the post office when I was a kid.

I was a bit concerned that the name on the photo was G Trantom but the listing in Kelly's did not give an initial. Perhaps it is just coincidence that there were Trantom shops in Birmingham. I have to say when I searched it seemed to be a Liverpool name.

Yes the Liverpool Trantoms had a pork sausage factory in Liverpool in the 1890s and a number of retail outlets. It’s possible the Birmingham Trantoms were related. It’s not a particularly common name.

In any case there’s no denying we have some Trantoms in Birmingham whether they’re related or not. Viv.

I tried reading the name on the postcard and it looks like Amy - interestingly on the 1891 census George Trantom (in Liverpool and definitely a grocer) has a sister Amy. At the moment I can't link her to a number 79. She doesn't appear to marry and I wondered if Ernest was her fiancee who perhaps died in the war as the postcard is dated 1915 but that might just be my imagination working overtime. I can't find an Ernest Trantom.

Nothing on CWGC, Janice, but he could have had second thoughts, perhaps. They didn't all come home to a "happy ever after" relationship.

Maurice :cool:

Amy appears to have died in the Leeds area in 1966, but there is no Probate entry.

Same one, Janice, just wondering why the Probate entry didn't show up on my search. Thanks. Maybe Amy had second thoughts?

Back