• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Transport Club on Miller Street

L

libertyx33

Hello,

There is/was a transport club on Miller Street, does anyone know what it was called. Is it still in business? If not when did it close down?

Thank you
:angel:

I worked on the buses, and was based at Miller St. I left the job in 1963 and there was no club up to then only a canteen

Hi John,

The enquiry isn't for me it's for a friend who is doing a project on Aston. One of the people she interviewed said he met his wife at a transport club. He was a bus driver as far as I am aware, so there is a strong possibility it could be something to do with Miller Street tram.bus depot. :angel:

Miller street depot did have a social club it was above the canteen I have just found out my father played for the darts team also they had a snooker club, they also had a boxing club in Elkinton street.
they had children's parties and outings, they run a ticket tote and a football tote monies going to the social club
My brother Bob as a better memory than me this is were I have had the info from

Thank you John! Did the social club happen to have a name by any chance?

I would image it was called Miller street tramways social club or some think very similar I can remember going to parties and pantomimes at other depots so I would image it was run by the head office perhaps Peter might know were we might get info from regarding the tramways, next time I pass the Witton tram museum and they are open I will call in and see if they know

Hello,

There is/was a transport club on Miller Street, does anyone know what it was called. Is it still in business? If not when did it close down?

Thank you :angel:

There was a transport club in Miller Street in the 60/70/80's. It was in the building across the road from Miller Street bus garage. The lost property office was next door to it as also the main radio control centre was. The club (as far as I know) closed down. I don't think the club had any particular name.
There was also another club (in B.C.T. days)in Newhall Street not far from the Science Museum.
Head office for Birmingham City Transport was in Congreve Street until West Midlands Travel took over and then it moved to Summer Lane.
Originally all lost property was retained at each individual garage but in later days was sent to a central lost property office in Miller Street.

I remember the offices next to the lost property office. in the compound, they called the park.

When I worked for BCT Head Office in Congreve Street, I and a colleague, Ray Bednall, did Lost Property audits at Miller Street. This was in the late 1950s. The Lost Property audit was required by law under the Passenger Transport Act. We did similar audits at Tyburn Road, but that was to match stock discrepancies between the manual stockkeeping system and Powers-Samas punched card system, and to supposedly stop thieving of common household items like soap or small nuts & bolts. It never did, of course!

We would prepare a list of a dozen thieveable items and add one of two large items that no wanted to half inch like chassis members, and do this once a month. I don't think anyone really took it too seriously and it was all done fairly jovially. When we got back we would just adjust the stock records accordingly. At that time the main Social Club was at Newhall Street. All garages had their own canteens and I can't remember a Social Club across the road at Miller Street.

Maurice :cool:

When I worked for BCT Head Office in Congreve Street, I and a colleague, Ray Bednall, did Lost Property audits at Miller Street. This was in the late 1950s. The Lost Property audit was required by law under the Passenger Transport Act. We did similar audits at Tyburn Road, but that was to match stock discrepancies between the manual stockkeeping system and Powers-Samas punched card system, and to supposedly stop thieving of common household items like soap or small nuts & bolts. It never did, of course!

We would prepare a list of a dozen thieveable items and add one of two large items that no wanted to half inch like chassis members, and do this once a month. I don't think anyone really took it too seriously and it was all done fairly jovially. When we got back we would just adjust the stock records accordingly. At that time the main Social Club was at Newhall Street. All garages had their own canteens and I can't remember a Social Club across the road at Miller Street.

magic our Maurice. i worked part-time there. and i too cant remember a club.only a loo and offices next to the lost prop office the canteen was in the garage on the r/h side looking in from the rd. i dont think thieves could get a chassis in there haversack or they would have. that lost prop office sure had some junk:grinning:

And the bloke in charge, can't remember his name, but he sure had some stories to tell. Who the Hell would leave an empty milk crate on a bus, and there were several of those?

And the bloke in charge, can't remember his name, but he sure had some stories to tell. Who the Hell would leave an empty milk crate on a bus, and there were several of those?

i would check the buses when they come in,before going into the wash and for a clean out with jeys fluid
some of the things found lol i cant say. there was ways dosh,under the agony seats. and loads of fish and chips

Travelling sideways is also supposed to be the position most likely to give you travel sickness, if you are susceptible to it.

On BCT there was a long seat - ideally for three people - on the nearside but only one on the offside. The reminder of the offside space was for luggage/parcels etc.
Other companies had different arrangements.
Something else specific to BCT was the single seat at the top of the staircase.

Back