• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Transfer items

Dave M

Pheasey Born Bumper
Have a old Desktop computer box, complete inside, can i link it up to my Lap Top to pull any pics from the Desktop box,
easy instructions Please, usb to usb ? it still powers up.

DONT plug a normal USB cable in to both devices as I believe this can damage the computers. It needs to be a special type of USB cable (a bridging cable)

Easiest way (if they both have USB slots) is to buy a USB memory stick, copy the files from the old PC on to the memory stick, move the memory stick to the new computer and copy the file on to the new computer.

You can do the same thing with an external hard drive.

Or you can copy the files to a CD or DVD if both devices have a CD/DVD player.

You can also copy the files up to the cloud in to say Microsoft One Drive or Google Drive.

So you logon to say Google Drive on the old PC. Copy the pictures up to Google Drive. Then logon to Google Drive on the new computer and download the files from Google drive to the new PC.

The good thing about using all these methods is that you have the files "backed up" to whatever device you used to move the files.

So for example if you use a USB memory stick to move the files from one PC to the other then if you COPY the files to the new PC they stay on the USB memory stick so are backed up on there. Of course if you MOVE the files from the USB memory stick to the new PC they are no longer on the USB memory stick so are not backed up.

ALWAYS have backups of ALL files you do not wish to lose, more than one backup if possible. A computer can crash or get stolen or lost and you could lose all your photos.

BACKUP !!!!

Last edited:
Think will have to go the Bridging Cable, as its a box on its own only with a power cable attached. Thanks

Think will have to go the Bridging Cable, as its a box on its own only with a power cable attached. Thanks

Here is an article that may help.

The article does seem to indicate you need to install software on each PC, but I am not sure that applies to all bridging cables.

Note I have never done this, nor do I know if the article is up to date or accurate

Another option, which is a bit more technical, is as follows.

Open the old PC case and take the hard disk out (normally easy to do).

Buy a hard disk "caddy" and put the hard disk in it. This makes it like an external hard drive

Plug the caddy and hard disk in to the laptops USB port.

Copy the files from the hard disk on to your laptop.

Note there are two types of hard disk connectors - IDE and SATA - and this can affect which caddy you buy.

OLDER hard disks had a IDE connector, modern hard disks have a SATA connector. Buy the right caddy.

Nothing is ever easy with computers is it !

Thank you for this guilbert53, my husband was saying yesterday he needed to try to retrieve something from an old PC!!
rosie.

Another option, which is a bit more technical, is as follows.

Open the old PC case and take the hard disk out (normally easy to do).

Buy a hard disk "caddy" and put the hard disk in it. This makes it like an external hard drive

Plug the caddy and hard disk in to the laptops USB port.

Copy the files from the hard disk on to your laptop.

Note there are two types of hard disk connectors - IDE and SATA - and this can affect which caddy you buy.

OLDER hard disks had a IDE connector, modern hard disks have a SATA connector. Buy the right caddy.

Nothing is ever easy with computers is it !
I`ve used this method real easy & i`m as thick as two short planks!! Go for it.

That bit sorted, all on a stick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,next is there a EASY way to post a short video from a trial Camera 11 seconds long onto a thread

Dave M said:

That bit sorted, all on a stick,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,next is there a EASY way to post a short video from a trial Camera 11 seconds long onto a thread
i had to upload mine to youtube,and then download it to my pc. what a long way around, hope some one comes up with a better idear

I hope that you and your families are staying safe and well during this difficult time for us all.

If animals could speak, mankind would weep.
It is nice to be good, and good to be nice.
Please. don't nitpick I am doing my best

Last edited:
My laptop, since I started to use Linux a couple of years or so ago is a 'clone' of my desktop. So all the information I want to keep can be transferred by USB stick. Web programmes, browsers, Skype etc. can be downloaded and usually be synched.
However a belt and braces system, which I have, is to have those items that you do not want to loose permanently on USB sticks or DVD's.
Fortunately I do not have a very large amount of data that I need to keep.

Back