• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

tram track remains at Great Barr St, Digbeth

rotunda

Hi all, my first post to the forum!

I was surprised to notice that there appears to be some tram track in the road at the junction of Fazeley Street and Great Barr Street, Digbeth. From my initial enquiries there was a tram line that ran along Fazeley St and turned left into Great Barr Street.

Workmen were doing something in the road last Sunday and I think a little more track was exposed which makes me wonder if there is much track lying underneath other roads in the city?!

Along with the bit by the council house and down at the old Rednal tram terminus I'm not aware of any other remains of tram infrastructure. Does anybody here know of anything else?

Regards,
Rotunda

There isn't much original track left now, that bit above is genuine but the section in Edmund St was relaid when the road was converted into the underground car park approach for the council house.
The saddest thing is that the original track is all still in place in the Aston Manor Transport Museum, at Witton, but this is now almost certain to close as the city council have not only withdrawn funding for it, but are demanding rent at commercial rates for the building.
The museum has an open day this Sunday, probably its last one before closing (in April, it seems) so come along an see - it's about your last chance.

Another view of Gt Barr St.
https://farm5.static.flickr.com/4151/5065316540_06bbf6db79.jpg

I had no idea some tracks were still there.

Lloyd that is so sad that the museum will have to close it's awful we will have nothing left of our history soon!! I will always treasure the memories of our day out on the number 11 it was brilliant!!

I was there today and I now think that there is a section of track still in situe (I may be wrong)it may be a trick of the eye? the section is from the bridge over the cut right up to the old Canning Factory, while I was there I manage to get a photograph of BKIOMGV the Diesel Electric Hybrid bus run by Central Connect (they have it on loan) as it went over the tram track so I have an electric bus going over a system that used electricity to power the trams

The tramtrack was left in place as part of the fabric of the canal bridge. Removing it would have meant road closure and rebuilding of the bridge when the rest of the track was taken up.

Thanks for the explanation motorman-mike.

Really sad news about Aston Manor facing cuts. Transport history is some of the richest social history there is in my opinion.

Sadly transport history is all to often dismissed or neglected by local councils and other local or national authorities.

Back