• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Tram Conductor

Tanya

Brummie babby
Hi all
I have been told that my 2nd great grandfather was a tram driver / conductor in birmingham how can I find out if this is correct he died in 1918 .
I don't know how accurate that information is

Tanya
If he was doing that job in 1911 , then it will be listed on the 1911 census. If you give his name and date of birth soemone here should be able to find him

here he is tanya and he was indeed a tram conductor....living with his wife and young son james frank as boarders of the smith family..green lane small heath..you are very lucky as usually the 1911 is signed by the head of the house but for some reason it was your gt grandfather that signed...

lyn

burford 19``.jpg burford 19``.jpg

Tanya
Sometimes things get mistranscribed in the index, so maybe have missed someone of the same name, but the only one that comes up on a plain search is Francis James Burford, 36, married to Florence Ada Burford, married 13 years and with 2 sons, Francis Roland (13) and Albert Ernest Harold, 9. He is listed as a machinist in 1911, living at 51 Cook ST , Nechells
In 1901 he was a machine minder making bicycles and living at 7 Dover terrace , Great Francis St .
In 1891 he is living with his parents, Thomas & Sophia at 198 vicarage Road, Aston and is a brassfounder.
this does not rule out him ever being a tram conductor, but it was not his main occupation

Tanya
Sometimes things get mistranscribed in the index, so maybe have missed someone of the same name, but the only one that comes up on a plain search is Francis James Burford, 36, married to Florence Ada Burford, married 13 years and with 2 sons, Francis Roland (13) and Albert Ernest Harold, 9. He is listed as a machinist in 1911, living at 51 Cook ST , Nechells
In 1901 he was a machine minder making bicycles and living at 7 Dover terrace , Great Francis St .
In 1891 he is living with his parents, Thomas & Sophia at 198 vicarage Road, Aston and is a brassfounder.
this does not rule out him ever being a tram conductor, but it was not his main occupation
here he is tanya and he was indeed a tram conductor....living with his wife and young son james frank as boarders of the smith family..green lane small heath..you are very lucky as usually the 1911 is signed by the head of the house but for some reason it was your gt grandfather that signed...

lyn

View attachment 109781 View attachment 109781
Thankyou that's the Frank I'm looking for .

Is there any where to go to look for photos or find out the daily route he would have taken how long he worked there ect that sort of thing

tanya i am not an expect on transport but hopefully one of our members will come along and advise you

lyn

Hi all
I have been told that my 2nd great grandfather was a tram driver / conductor in birmingham how can I find out if this is correct he died in 1918 .
I don't know how accurate that information is
Hello Tanya
I have Francis James Burford on my Family Tree on Ancestry
He was a Great Uncle of my wife Dorothy Brookes
Regards
John Hughes

Hello Tanya
I have Francis James Burford on my Family Tree on Ancestry
He was a Great Uncle of my wife Dorothy Brookes
Regards
John Hughes
Is your francis the same person that I am researching with some misspellings again I have seen that alot while doing my research it has driven me mad at times My gt grandfather was Frank James Burford married to Sarah Elizabeth Bedworth daughter doris louisa they also had two boys edgar and james

Last edited:
Hi Tanya, there are no records to show that your gt grandfather had the second name James , he was Frank at his baptism in St Martins Hereford 13th june 1880 (birth 16th May) and Frank when he married Sarah and his military records and his death in Hounslow military hospital have the one name Frank, his fathers name was James,

The Francis James Burford in the Brookes family was a bit older born in 1875 and married to
Florence Ada Derrington.

Back