• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Trafalgar road moselely

finona

Brummie babby
I`ve only just realised that the smaller of the two girls is holding a cricket bat and not as I thought, a stick. The older girl is probably holding the ball and she went on to be a very good cricketer and lifelong Warwickshire fan spending many, many hours at Edgebaston. Morturn`s magic with the photo revealed so much more detail!

Nico

master brummie
I will have to 'dig' in my paperwork but there is a Chantry Road History Association. Maybe you can Google it. I contacted them doing my birth search as I was in a Mother and Baby Home nearby. My birth mother lodged in Trafalgar Road. There is an entrance to a school and the Trafalgar pub on the corner. As people say the houses are enormous. They were halved and some halved again and some turned in to flats and re numbered and renumbered. One was bombed near where I was, and rebuilt as a substantial modern block of flats. A Court. And another new one was built but whether it replaced a house or was built in a garden I don't know. One of my Adoptive parents' friends once lived in a divided house there. They told me about the bombed house which was shored up with timbers for years. One day when redecorating they discovered a hidden staircase which led to a 2nd floor they didn't know about. Their children loved it I would have been spooked I think. I can't work out which was which either as I was trying to discern if my parents' friends had lived next door to my birth parents, who rented rooms or next door or further on. My birth parents had the ground floor and there were at least 6 flats in one half of that divided house.
The Chantry Rd Assocation unearthed who lived in the houses at that time in the road where I had been adopted from. A child I think had been working on a school project. And the Forum helped me and others.

Last edited:

superdad3

master brummie
I will have to 'dig' in my paperwork but there is a Chantry Road History Association. Maybe you can Google it. I contacted them doing my birth search as I was in a Mother and Baby Home nearby. My birth mother lodged in Trafalgar Road. There is an entrance to a school and the Trafalgar pub on the corner. As people say the houses are enormous. They were halved and some halved again and some turned in to flats and re numbered and renumbered. One was bombed near where I was, and rebuilt as a substantial modern block of flats. A Court. And another new one was built but whether it replaced a house or was built in a garden I don't know. One of my Adoptive parents' friends once lived in a divided house there. They told me about the bombed house which was shored up with timbers for years. One day when redecorating they discovered a hidden staircase which led to a 2nd floor they didn't know about. Their children loved it I would have been spooked I think. I can't work out which was which either as I was trying to discern if my parents' friends had lived next door to my birth parents, who rented rooms or next door or further on. My birth parents had the ground floor and there were at least 6 flats in one half of that divided house.
The Chantry Rd Assocation unearthed who lived in the houses at that time in the road where I had been adopted from. A child I think had been working on a school project. And the Forum helped me and others.
Really enjoyed reading this. What a lot of info & history. Sadly "The Trafalgar" has been renamed "The Patrick Cavanagh". Not sure why but I can't help but feel another small piece of Moseley's history gone.

Nico

master brummie
Really enjoyed reading this. What a lot of info & history. Sadly "The Trafalgar" has been renamed "The Patrick Cavanagh". Not sure why but I can't help but feel another small piece of Moseley's history gone.
Had I still been at work I might have known the answer as our Commissionare, (do they say that now?) drank may still drink in there. I can't remember why, but he discovered I was born in Moseley though I did not disclose why I was there. Oooh that's posh he said. Yowm posh Nico! When we went back exploring and researching, some houses in the tree lines streets were still as they were built, not turned into flats and massive. We parked near one where a little girl with a hair ribbon in her luminous long dark curls in a frilly dress was playing a grand piano in the window. It was like looking back in time.