• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Traditional Songs we sang at school

Nico not with you here, are these dances?
Pum! Pum! Pum! stamp! Stamp! dee da dee dah.
Pum pum pum pum, da da da da da da , da da da dd da da. Does that sound like the St Bernard's Waltz Carolina? Hope no border collies were offended!

Or a homophobic coat!
We sang Sally Brown, that would never be allowed now.
Sally Brown was a bright mulater, whey hey roll and go,
She drinks rum and chews terbacca, spend my money on Sally Brown.

Would you believe, I am learning the gutiar, yee haw!
And They are not permitted to teach :
Go tell aunt rhodie the old grey goose is dead
The goose is now ....gone.
Except it doesn't rhyme.
Had to sing La Marsellaise last night, all about furrows of blood guts and decapitation. It was a long time a go though.
Bit like Cov on a Saturday night!

Don't think we would have sung La Marseillaise even in French class with all the blood and guts. Mind you I have heard our English youth singing "Ou est le papier" to the same tune in French public conveniences. French were not impressed, almost a case of "Aux armes, citoyens", I decided it was time for "Marchons, marchons".

No, me neither. We did sing Un elephant qui se balancer sur une etoile d'une araigner.
Some childrens' songs were macanbre though if you stop to think about the words, like Ring a Ring a roses, I was told that came from the plague when they blessed you when you sneezed in case you got it. And here comes the chopper to chop off your head, and ding dong bell, The drunken sailor etc. A farmer came riding, I had a little pony and Tom Pearce, I always felt sad about eh poor horses.
I am told the French youtth of the day used to sing Allons les enfants de la patisserie

I have an American friend who tells me that they used to sing these words to the American national anthem in summer camp "Oh say can you see those bed-bugs on me"

I have an American friend who tells me that they used to sing these words to the American national anthem in summer camp "Oh say can you see those bed-bugs on me"
At school my Gran sang to the the tune Men of Harlech, Oh the land, the land of Scotland, shooting peas up a nanny goat's bottom.
Nan sang to The Soldiers' Chorus, Oh father, look at yer unlce Jim, diving in the xxxx pot learning how to swim.
At the end of the line of Colonel Bogey, before the next verse she sang, Don't throw the lamp at mother it's a shame to waste the oil,
Then us naughty kids sang the next line
Hitler has only got one xxxx
His other is in the Albert Hall
His mother, the silly xxxxxx
Cut it off when he was small

Nan also sang
Its raining its pouring
Hitler said to Goring
He pooed his pants in the middle of France
and couldn't get up in the morning

Goodnight and god bless you all
Nico

Oh my, my first visit to this thread and I have been laughing and having a lump in my throat in equal measures. How they take you back to your school days and what we had as good old fashioned tradition which now is not encouraged in school at all. The Minstral Boy was one of my favorites at Infant and Junior school and we once had a visit from members of the Birmingham Orchestra and I asked them to play it. Still remember crying as the they played. Happy days.

jimbo

I simply cannot play this without blarting like babby...1949 - Albert Road School, Stechford - Miss Evans on the piano in the Hall...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vkpqHECZtE Sing up children...! Or this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NevoVhkzwRc...magical memories...still so powerful after 60 odd years!
We had the Hansel and Gretal one in assembly we sat cross legged on the floor and Morning by Grieg, Jesu's Joy of Man's desiting, Going Home (that brings a lump) and that song they used in Raging Bull, forgot the name. Partner can't listen to Canique do nöel and now neuther can I without a lump. My worst lump ones are Daddy Don't go down the mine and Home Sweet Home (nan) The Crossway Sweeper (gran) an 2 I am not telling you. Great Gran used to sing a hymn about a little star and I can't remember it and I don;t know the title. Any ideas please Brumophiles?

Yes David same hear, I ment to type Cantique de Nöel before. Snow has got to my brain. and it's a Cold and Frosty Morning, we used to sing that too. The name of Gran's song is has been on the tip of my tongue for years, I keep thinking of shine and little star, I don't know.

At school my Gran sang to the the tune Men of Harlech, Oh the land, the land of Scotland, shooting peas up a nanny goat's bottom.
Nan sang to The Soldiers' Chorus, Oh father, look at yer unlce Jim, diving in the xxxx pot learning how to swim.
At the end of the line of Colonel Bogey, before the next verse she sang, Don't throw the lamp at mother it's a shame to waste the oil,
Then us naughty kids sang the next line
Hitler has only got one xxxx
His other is in the Albert Hall
His mother, the silly xxxxxx
Cut it off when he was small

Nan also sang
Its raining its pouring
Hitler said to Goring
He pooed his pants in the middle of France
and couldn't get up in the morning

Goodnight and god bless you all
Nico

The way used to sing it was....
Hitler has only got one ****
Goering has two but very small
Himmler is very sim'lar
and poor old Goebbels has no ***** at all.

The way used to sing it was....
Hitler has only got one ****
Goering has two but very small
Himmler is very sim'lar
and poor old Goebbels has no ***** at all.
And did you follow that straight uo with...
Don't throw the lamp at mother it's a shame to waste the oil Baz?

Is it cold up there too?
Nico

I don't think that's it but thanks David. Maybe it was even little light, I just can't remember and it bugs me sometimes. I was too little though but when you listen to a song you get pictures in our head and the picture I remember when I was four was Gran singing (she had a nice voice) ln the dark with a very bright star with light coming off it. It's not Jesus bids a shine, she used to sing that too. I looked in hymn books too.

Just catching up!
For Carolina: 'Stately as a galleon...' This song by the wonderful Joyce Grenfell is what you recall; just google it to get all the right words so that it may be your party piece.
Ted

I also like the one where Joycie is singing in the choir and she remembers she has forgot to turn the oven off.
I used to burst in to Stately as 2 Galleons, with my mate on a Friday night and we would change the words. Also Little Jimmy Brown. He likes The Flies crawled up the winder. Green Grow the Rushes O. I expect Three Chocolate Eclairs was after your times as is Three Blind Jellyfishesishishishes. Sang after a few pints. Maybe you could do it in the Zhewellers Haarmsh?

Can,t believe nobodys mentioned this old School Song...The Farmers Boy (To Be a Farmers Boy) as its best known

The Sun went down be-hind the hill, A-cross yon dreary moor
When wea-ry and lame a boy there came un-to a farm-ers door
"Can you tell me if any there,, be, who will give me em-ploy,,,,
To plough and sow, to reap and mow and be a farmers boy,,
and be a farmers boy"
+ 5 more verses & chorus.

A bouncy little tune although tricky tongue-twisters for kids,
Now a cracking song favoured by most Male Voice Choirs & a belter when done by 250+(Annual meet-up)

Have you seen th muffin man
The Cuckoo
Blow The Wind Southerly.
When Daisies pied (can't tell you what we sang here) and voilets blue.
Brennan on The Moor
The Lincolnshire Poacher
The Derby Ram
Westering Home
Maire's Wedding
Bill Palmer the Farmer
The Street of Laredo
Old Stewball was a race horse etc

The last 3 songs were curtosy of Mr Gill an assisant teacher who sang to a guitar and got us in to drama and he had long (ish) hair!

Well, I have had a lovely morning, I read this thread from start to finish , it was so nostalgic to recall the songs , rhymes and hymns of my childhood I even sang a few to my hubby when I remembered them.
My favourite hymn has to be Jerusalem :) it brings me back to my schooldays in a assembly
Thanks to everyone,
Wendy

Hi, All

I was in the school choir LoL and I remember singing at the town hall along with many other schools. Our music teacher was called Mr Beach, he was ok most of the time but some days he was a bit grumpy ( must have been our singing he he ).
Anyway, he had a small dark goatee beard and dark bushy hair so it only seemed appropriate that he should have a nick name.
Well eventually, “The bearded dotted crotchet“ came into being, you have to have a sense of humour about these things you know and… it is musically correct.
I do remember though, one day he let us bring in some music that we liked and he let us play “A Whiter Shade of Pale “by Procall Harem, so he was not that bad after all and do you know we sang our hearts out for him, why because he was one of us in our choir.

Charles.
Hi Charles,

Thanks for sharing your memories of my Dad (Mr. Bleach with an 'l').

Grumpy? Really? ... I supose I can imagine that. ;-) But he certainly had a passion for music which, like his goatee beard, he carried through his whole life. Sadly he passed away earlier this month.

I'm so happy to hear that you sang your hearts out for him.

Thanks once again for posting.

Andrew Bleach

At primary school we only sang conventional hymns , at secondary school normal hymns plus two that were wrote by the person that the school was name after . The hymns Lead Kindly Light , Praise To the Holiest in The Height .

Back