• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Traditional Brummie Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Welfare Orange Juice was concentrated and quite syrupy, and Spargone correctly describes the bottles. As this was available during wartime, I'm inclined to think that the oranges used to make it came from California and it was mostly likely shipped in larger containers as concentrated orange juice and re-bottled in the UK. I don't know a lot about the Californian types of oranges, but I am intolerant to milk, & I have half a litre with my breakfast cereal every morning. I have my coffee black and my tea with lemon. My mother used to get it from the Welfare Centre on Stratford Road, Sparkhill, almost opposite the bottom of Springfield Road. I'm sure the Virol came from Hedges, just a few doors away.

Consequently I've tried many brands of bottled and cartoned orange juice in Crete. The longer lasting ones, generally in cartons, tend to have preservative and sugar added, and are best avoided. The brands like Life seem to be overly sweet and some are positively disgusting. Personally I prefer the Solevita brand marketed by Lidl, It has a shelf life, if kept unopened in a fridge, of about 3 weeks, because it has been pasteurized, but nothing else added, and not too sweet. The label doesn't say where the oranges come from, but I guess Italy, Spain or Greece.

Fresh orange juice may seem better to the health afficionados amongs us, but oranges are not cheap in the UK and the taste can vary depending upon the type of oranges used. Never use Seville, unless making marmalade!

Maurice :cool:

Welfare Orange Juice was concentrated and quite syrupy, and Spargone correctly describes the bottles. As this was available during wartime, I'm inclined to think that the oranges used to make it came from California and it was mostly likely shipped in larger containers as concentrated orange juice and re-bottled in the UK. I don't know a lot about the Californian types of oranges, but I am intolerant to milk, & I have half a litre with my breakfast cereal every morning. I have my coffee black and my tea with lemon. My mother used to get it from the Welfare Centre on Stratford Road, Sparkhill, almost opposite the bottom of Springfield Road. I'm sure the Virol came from Hedges, just a few doors away.

Consequently I've tried many brands of bottled and cartoned orange juice in Crete. The longer lasting ones, generally in cartons, tend to have preservative and sugar added, and are best avoided. The brands like Life seem to be overly sweet and some are positively disgusting. Personally I prefer the Solevita brand marketed by Lidl, It has a shelf life, if kept unopened in a fridge, of about 3 weeks, because it has been pasteurized, but nothing else added, and not too sweet. The label doesn't say where the oranges come from, but I guess Italy, Spain or Greece.

Fresh orange juice may seem better to the health afficionados amongs us, but oranges are not cheap in the UK and the taste can vary depending upon the type of oranges used. Never use Seville, unless making marmalade!

Maurice, your oranges then and now probably come from Florida, California only exports about 10 percent and most goes ta Asia.
Florida exports to Endland but a lot of oranges are grown in Brazil.
I live not far from the Tropicana processing plant and when it's running the whole area smells of oranges.
Never try to go by there when the orange train is coming or going you well could be at the rail crossing for 20 minutes.
After making the juice what's left is made into cattle feed.
During the season all I see on one road here is semi-truck after semi filled with oranges

Bob,

I was referring to the source of orange juice for the UK during WW2. Unlikely they would use any southern European or Israeli source due to hostile enemy action in the Med, so California was my first thought as there is little difference between its climate and that of southern Europe. I've no idea about the current situation in the USA. Here in Greece we have oranges coming out of our ears!

I remember during the war the greengrocers got a rare, occasional supply of Jaffa (Israel) oranges, a queue six deep formed and they would ration how many you could have.
I drink orange juice every morning, Tesco own label smooth from concentrate.

Bob,

I was referring to the source of orange juice for the UK during WW2. Unlikely they would use any southern European or Israeli source due to hostile enemy action in the Med, so California was my first thought as there is little difference between its climate and that of southern Europe. I've no idea about the current situation in the USA. Here in Greece we have oranges coming out of our ears!

Same here to much citrus, people buy a home here and get all excited they have fruit trees till the fruit comes then the fruit rats Ha Ha.
A lot of times people put the fruit in a milk crate and leave bags out front with a sign saying free, just to get it gone.

Bob,

I have a friend who bought a house in our village with a large orange tree in their courtyard expecting to eat and juice a lot only to find that they were Sevilles and quite sour and sharp, They didn't like marmalade and the only other use I think for them is using the zest in cooking, but ducks are not exactly plentiful here with only three rivers on the whole island! o_O

Bob,

I have a friend who bought a house in our village with a large orange tree in their courtyard expecting to eat and juice a lot only to find that they were Sevilles and quite sour and sharp, They didn't like marmalade and the only other use I think for them is using the zest in cooking, but ducks are not exactly plentiful here with only three rivers on the whole island! o_O

To all BHF members commenting on this thread, there seems to be an underlying fondness / passion for orange juice, which I applaud fully but, does anyone remember the orange juice you could get from the milkman? If I remember rightly it came in a pint bottle with a tinfoil cover just like the pasteurised milk.

Lozellian.

Yes I remember it Lozellian. We didn’t have it but friends did. Think it might have been made from concentrate. Don’t think it had any ‘bits’ in it. Viv.

The orange also came in a third of a pint bottle. I was a milkman for a couple of years, delivered loads and probably drank as many.

To all BHF members commenting on this thread, there seems to be an underlying fondness / passion for orange juice, which I applaud fully but, does anyone remember the orange juice you could get from the milkman? If I remember rightly it came in a pint bottle with a tinfoil cover just like the pasteurised milk.

Lozellian.
1571247177375.png
yer that was nice, :laughing:

Lozellian.
It was pasteurised the same as milk which made it not only safe to drink but last just that little bit longer. I too worked for Midland Counties for a short while and drank gallons of it.

I had little bottles of orange juice in glass bottles which had a big smiley face on the bottle when I was in st Chad's junior and infant school we also had the milk bottles but on a few occasions we had the orange it must of been given to us in the summer as a treat or it was too expensive to give us everyday .This was in the 60s.

Lozellian.
I believe it was from Midland Counties & CoOp Dairies……...

The orange juice, delivered by dairymen, usually came in 1/3rd. pt and 1 pt. bottles in South Devon.
In 1954, a woman I encountered as a guest, had to have these small bottles of juice each day. She told me that due to her body not producing the stomach acid required for her digestion she had to drink acid diluted with the orange juice. It was a remarkable comment, as far as I was concerned, but I never asked the quantity of acid she had to add to the juice.

They do operate, we still have milk in glass bottles deliverd three times a week

Hi Morturn,

They sure do mate even though they're few and far between, I have to admit nostalgia got the better of me one day at work when I saw a milkman with the said orange juice onboard I just had to buy a bottle and the memories came flooding back ha ha.

Lozellian.

I am sure alot of members would remember whenever there was a party in the house in the 70s the men use to bring the kegs of beer with them all I remember was whenever they opened them they lost nearly half the contents on the floor and I am sure when my dad got fed up trying to open one he used a screw driver and hammer to open it up and again it squirted everywhere .There must of been a knack in opening them properly but alas I never seen anyone achieve it !

I am sure alot of members would remember whenever there was a party in the house in the 70s the men use to bring the kegs of beer with them all I remember was whenever they opened them they lost nearly half the contents on the floor and I am sure when my dad got fed up trying to open one he used a screw driver and hammer to open it up and again it squirted everywhere .There must of been a knack in opening them properly but alas I never seen anyone achieve it !

I think that they made them impossible to open without losing 90% of the contents. We would tiptoe back from the outdoor and place it very very carefully on the table. Even if you left it untouched for a week, as soon as the opener pierced the tin……boom!... a beer fountain.

I certainly never learned the knack

Can't remember the last time I had a bowl of porridge, with some milk and sugar on top.

It's strange I loved it as a kid made for myself all the time, must be 50 years since I made it.

Porridge and scrambled eggs was the first things along with toast I cooked.

Here it's called oatmeal ?, Bread, cookies, cake and of course in a bowl with all kinds of fruit options.

Non of it beats a proper English breakfast one of the best I use to eat here was in Hermosa Beach in California at a place called "Besties" and yes it was owned by a ex Man Untd football player.

I think that they made them impossible to open without losing 90% of the contents. We would tiptoe back from the outdoor and place it very very carefully on the table. Even if you left it untouched for a week, as soon as the opener pierced the tin……boom!... a beer fountain.

I certainly never learned the knack

lol mort...i well recall those kegs of beer had plenty booming away at my 21st :D dad used to brew his own for their house parties...dont know about putting it on the table...after a couple of pints of it we were under the table:)..happy days

lyn

Can't remember the last time I had a bowl of porridge, with some milk and sugar on top.

It's strange I loved it as a kid made for myself all the time, must be 50 years since I made it.

Porridge and scrambled eggs was the first things along with toast I cooked.

Here it's called oatmeal ?, Bread, cookies, cake and of course in a bowl with all kinds of fruit options.

Non of it beats a proper English breakfast one of the best I use to eat here was in Hermosa Beach in California at a place called "Besties" and yes it was owned by a ex Man Untd football player.
I have porride or skilly,every morning after taking my flea breader for a walk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back