• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Traditional Brummie Food

Status
Not open for further replies.
30742393_1648989921888721_5254650502372379604_n.jpg

Ready for a full cooked ENGLISH brecky?

Hi John (OldBrit). Re post 102. Please tell me this is for at least two people! I recognise all the components of the breakfast except for the stuff in the middle. Are they hash-browns or a pancake? Perhaps you need to be fully fuelled with all the cycling that you do. Dave.

Yesterday my good lady did Beef for Sunday dinner.Wow the dripping I had for my toast this morning was Superb. And tomorrow:grinning::grinning:

30742393_1648989921888721_5254650502372379604_n.jpg

Ready for a full cooked ENGLISH brecky?

Hi John (OldBrit). Re post 102. Please tell me this is for at least two people! I recognise all the components of the breakfast except for the stuff in the middle. Are they hash-browns or a pancake? Perhaps you need to be fully fuelled with all the cycling that you do. Dave.
I need a nap after looking at that breakfast,. But I did have egg,bacon, sausage, English Muffin with HP yesterday,

The problem, regarding decent dripping, seems to be that most people want lean meat and supermarkets and similar stores generally sell meat with little or no fat on it - other than pork. A proper butcher will have meat available with fat: it is needed flavour and to stop the meat from shrinking, also without the fat there will be no dripping. : unamused:

I personalty don't think that fat is bad for you, and I do have quite a high fat diet. Full fat milk, butter and cheese etc. I believe that the problem with diets is the high levels of sugar that that we eat and also what the food industry seek into our food as hidden sugar. I also feel the same about the amount of simple carbohydrates we consume too, driven by the food industry because its cheep.

Eight year ago i decided to stop eating any food with sugar in it and also the simple carbs like in white bread and pasta. I was 102Kg, but am now just under 82Kg, a loss of over 44Lbs (in old money)

I avoid any processed food, and cook from ingredents and I only eat stuff that my grandmother would recognise as food. Bring on the butter i say ;)

My Nan used to love butter, Mom used to get her the Danish tub butter from the market in town. She liked to put it on dry Weetabix for breakfast :)
She lived to be 103 so it didn't do her much harm!

I personalty don't think that fat is bad for you, and I do have quite a high fat diet. Full fat milk, butter and cheese etc. I believe that the problem with diets is the high levels of sugar that that we eat and also what the food industry seek into our food as hidden sugar. I also feel the same about the amount of simple carbohydrates we consume too, driven by the food industry because its cheep.

Eight year ago i decided to stop eating any food with sugar in it and also the simple carbs like in white bread and pasta. I was 102Kg, but am now just under 82Kg, a loss of over 44Lbs (in old money)

I avoid any processed food, and cook from ingredents and I only eat stuff that my grandmother would recognise as food. Bring on the butter i say ;)
I am in agreement with you but I do like my carbs as well. I take it you do eat bread but I assume it's wholemeal. What about potatoes and rice, do you have those? Like you 99% of our meals are home cooked with fresh produce and the only sugar we have is in home made cakes and puddings and even then I try and use sweetener if possible.

Tonight's dinner "Tea" egg and chips takes me back to my childhood.
Getting a chip buttie off my dad's plate because he got the first batch of chips.
Saturday night special having been down the market for a fresh crab on Sunday and pop having had some jellied eels and me with me cockells

My pop will be down the market tomorrow eating his eels and buying a crab for dinner.
If you see him wish him happy birthday today he turned 90
Lived at 90 Nechalls park Road, born 19/9/29 lucky number 7 ?

Last edited:
My Granddad in Smethwick, grew watercress in a wooden box on the window sell, also grew horseradish in the garden. Had an allotment also that he grew all the veggies in no canned stuff those days. Spent hours shelling the bloody peas!!

I have happy memories of dads veggie garden he always had peas and my 2 sisters and I always shelled them, usually on the grass in the sunshine, quite a few peas were eaten during that process. I remember dad always put up his frames for his runner beans which I loved and there was always beetroot in the garden and a rhubarb plant that we would raid of a stalk or too to dip in a bit of sugar and eat raw. Happy days!

Wendylee,

Yes, watercress is one thing I can't get here in Crete - only three small rivers in the whole darn island! I have seen the umpteen videos on YouTube about growing the stuff and am tempted to have a go. I hope it turns out well for you as watercress is a great source of iron, and it would get me off these iron supplements!

Watercress with fresh bread and butter, or else as watercress soup - you can't beat either.

Love fresh parsnips too, but we only see them here during the two weeks before Christmas. Tried growing them, but no luck - they just end up dumpy little things.

Maurice

I grow all sorts of veggies but I have never had any luck growing parsnips either! At the moment it is Spring here in Australia and I have spinach, mustard greens in my veggie garden and my broad beans are as tall as me and full of flowers , its one of the veggies that always do well.
One thing I cant get here and always loved in England is Spring Cabbage, ooh I do miss it. We get what they call drum cabbage (big round tight cabbage) by the time they are sold in the shops they have been stripped of all the green outer leaves???
Wendy

Tonight's dinner "Tea" egg and chips take me back to my childhood.
Getting a chip buttie of my dad's plate because he got the first batch of chips.
Saturday night special having been down the market for a fresh crab on Sunday and pop having had some jellied eels and me with me cockells

My pop will be down the market tomorrow eating his eels and buying a crab for dinner.
If you see him wish him happy birthday today he turned 90
Lived at 90 Nechalls park Road, born 19/9/29 lucky number 7 ?

It sounds like my childhood Bob, dad always bought a crab from the market on saturdays, he would pull the legs off it and i would enjoy them pulling out the meat with a hair grip haha, neither of my sisters would bother but I loved it.We often had penny winks and cockles too, dad often had a bowl of water with fresh mussels sitting on the floor in the corner of the kitchen in and he would put a pot on the stove and cook a few each night, he loved them, I didnt like mussels and can still remember the horrible smell of the kitchen while they were cooking. Mum always cooked homemade chips too none of these "oven chips" There was so much fresh food in our house but we didnt realise it . There is too much processed food around now.
Wendy

It sounds like my childhood Bob, dad always bought a crab from the market on saturdays, he would pull the legs off it and i would enjoy them pulling out the meat with a hair grip haha, neither of my sisters would bother but I loved it.We often had penny winks and cockles too, dad often had a bowl of water with fresh mussels sitting on the floor in the corner of the kitchen in and he would put a pot on the stove and cook a few each night, he loved them, I didnt like mussels and can still remember the horrible smell of the kitchen while they were cooking. Mum always cooked homemade chips too none of these "oven chips" There was so much fresh food in our house but we didnt realise it . There is too much processed food around now.
Wendy
Shelling peas on a Sunday morning for dinner along my sister as we sat on the stairs listening to Jimmy Clitheroe on the radio
We had the mussels on a sarnie during Match of the day with pepper and vinegar and a cuppa.
Back when a sandwich was as tall as your front step

Wendy
Its a pity you never got to try me mums chips they were the worlds best but that should come as no surprise she was the worlds best mum.
Is a chip pan still a good present for a wedding, Ha Ha. Never see them here but growing up every one had a chip pan.
Funny I had forgot the chip pan and kettle lived on top of the stove, I think the only time they got moved was on a Sunday, so the back right burner could be used for the rice pudding.
Me mum also made the worlds best bread pudding, and my grand mother the second best.

In a more serious vain my grand mother made a egg custard tart to end all custard tarts I swear a slice 4 inches tall would stand up, where or how did she learn to make a egg custard she lived in a back to back I am sure as God made little green apples eggs were a lot harder to come by.

How I went from a plate of chips to wondering where my grand mum got her eggs?.

Wendy & Bob,My wife never buys frozen chips,she's always cut and fried her own.Even the G/kids love them.
My wife has never made real chips, now we do eat them and even have the Bisto chip shop curry sauce, but the chips are the frozen kind
I have never seen a chip pan for sale here I have not seen one in over 40 years.

It's funny because i bet the most spoken phrase here is. "you want fries with that".

To me a doilie is a little lace mat thing that goes on a table to put plates and cups on. Do tell me what a fried egg doilie is.
I think dripping is better than lard, though more difficult to find

To me a fried egg doille is when the egg has
been so over cooked the edges go from brown to black and the yoke goes hard and a funny shade of mustard yellow.
When I worked at GKN they had a sort of British Restaurant which served a square fried egg. They sat in stainless steel trays of about a 100, next to the tray of dried baked beans.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it's not food but I remember when I was young having to queue up with my two brothers for our weekly spoon of cod liver oil which our mother forced us to have .SHe believed it kept illness AWAY! WE always had a glass of cordial ready to swallow down straight away and sometimes if we were lucky we would steal a spoonful of our mums Andrews liver salts and add it to our cordial which would make our drink fizz up like lemonade ,mind you you had to drink it straight away before the fizz went flat . I am sure we must of had iffy stomachs after but we did not know what it was only that our mum drank it sometimes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back