• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Abraham Ward Rhodes, Deritend Bordesley

debbieironmonger

master brummie
Hello, I have tried searching in the forums looking for some advice on how to find further information about one my ancestors. I am hoping that someone will be able to help. I have found an Insolvency Notice in the London Gazette 21st May 1850. Issue number: 21097 Page number: 1473:

In the Matter of the Petition of Abraham Ward Rhodes....... NOTICE is hereby given, that the County Court of Warwickshire, at Birmingham, acting in the matter of this Petition, will proceed to make a Final Order thereon, at the said Court, on the 10th day of June next, at two o'clock in the afternoon precisely, unless cause be then and there shewn to the contrary.

I have not been able to locate anything else. His business was Fire Iron Making in Deritend/Bordesley, Birmingham and I would love to know the outcome.
Does anyone know how I can go about finding more information about this insolvency case?...
Regards, Debbie.

Not giving information you specifically asked for, but not sure if you have seen these from the Birmingham journal, which seem to give more detail, and one mentioning him somewhat later.
Birm Journal. 27.4.1850.jpg Birm Journal.11.10.1856.jpg Birm journal.18.5.1850.jpg

Hi Abraham Ward Rhodes was my 3rd great grandfather and I also found the articles on the state of his business in 1850 and also wodered what the outcome of the court was. I could not find any definitive answer but according to the census records between 1851 and 1881 both he and his son (also Abraham Ward Rhodes) continued bashing out Fire Iron equipment. However it would appear from the trade directory that he was also a beer retailer! Must have been thirsty work

1695238307371.png

The directory of 1862 lists ~Abraham as a fire iron maker at 158 Adderley St. 105 Upper Trinity st is Elijah Jackson, spade manufacurer
The directory for 1867 give 105 Upper Trimity St as a fire iron manufacturer owned by Mrs Elizabeth Wigley and Abaraham Rhodes as fire iron manufactirer at 9 court 39 deritend High St

Hi thanks both for this Abraham was my 3rd Gt grandfather also. I tried to find out the outcome of the bankruptcy case but to no avail. I understand he was also a butcher at some point, certainly a hard worker x

Hi thanks both for this Abraham was my 3rd Gt grandfather also. I tried to find out the outcome of the bankruptcy case but to no avail. I understand he was also a butcher at some point, certainly a hard worker x
Abraham Ward Jones is mentioned on page 193 of this article. It mentions his wife, father, mother etc. Basically the article is all those that applied to assume there rights to the deceased estate.

Made insolvent in 1850.

Attachments

• Morning_Advertiser_27_April_1850_0001_Clip.jpg
    Morning_Advertiser_27_April_1850_0001_Clip.jpg
    329.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Morning_Advertiser_27_April_1850_0001.jpg
    Morning_Advertiser_27_April_1850_0001.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 8
Back