• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lost wax jewellery casting in Pitsford Street, Birmingham

dib44

master brummie
I wondered if SKS could possibly help with a trade directory look up for Pitsford Street, (Jewellery Quarter)

There was around 1959/1960 a Lost Wax Jewellery Casting Company (Gold & Silver) operating at the top end of Pitsford Street
Vyse Street End, I understand they moved across the Jewellery Quarter to the Hockley Street/Barr Street corner in the early 60s, but for the life of me I cannot remember the name of the company and wondered if SKS with access to trade directories could possibly help jog my memory please ?

Kind regards.

Dibs.

I don't know about the processes they used, but in both the 1959 & 1961 Kellys there seem to be three that fit: Manston. Chatterley & Kenworthy

I don't know about the processes they used, but in both the 1959 & 1961 Kellys there seem to be three that fit: Manston. Chatterley & Kenworthy

Most kind of you mikejee, sadly none of those three names ring a bell with me, appreciate your kind response to my enquiry, if my memory serves correct this company was the last one before the great western railway goods yard.

Talking about the railway yard, this is an image of the top end of GWR goods yard in Pitsford Street during redevelopment, the casting company can be seen top middle of image,looks like a large repair to building possibly caused by war damage, remembered one of the partners name, it was Bushell, small stocky guy, the other partner was the spitting image of Richard Egan, very debonair. (The Big Peg completed 1971 is middle right of image)

hockleyraildepot5.jpg

Back