• Welcome to this forum Guest. We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tracing family

sherlock

I need advice on how to locate my half sister who I have never met.
I live in Perth, Western Australia and cannot do any 'local' research.
Jean Valerie Holmes was born on 28.September 1933 in the Aston area.
Their address at that time was New John Street West.
I do not know her married name or even if she was married.
Can anyone suggest how I might locate her?

Colin Holmes

col h

master brummie
Tried friends reunited for schools in the area ? might be worth a try.....but try and find an old map for the schools rather than relying on their idea of whats in, or was in the area.

Goood luck

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
The birth appears to registered in the Dec Qtr 1933 in Birmingham Reg. Dist. (GRO Ref 6d 187), mother's maiden name was RATHERHAM. Do you know if that is correct?

Maurice :cool:

sospiri

Ex-pat Brummie
I've only checked marriages until the end of 1960, when Jean would have been 26, but if she got married in the Birmingham area, the only likely spouse is David L. BROWN and the marriage took place in Birmingham in Dec Qtr 1951 (GRO ref 9c 582). Hope that helps.

Maurice :cool:

H

Heather Rodwell

Hi! I am trying to find my grandfathers family. I know he comes from Canada and he went back there, but he was in Birmingham sometime in 1920 when Caroline Pamela Bolding got pregnant and in early 1921 had a son William. My grandfather was over in Birningham and it had something to do with the Airforce I believe. His nose art on his craft was a shark and they say his nickname was sharkie. I understand his name was William Dennis, but, that is all I have. Please if you can help, Please send in a reply:crying:

bren

master brummie
Hi Heather

I have assumed they was not married so looked for William jnr in his mothers name and found --

William Bolding, mmn Bolding, 1st qtr 1921 Birmingham 6d 444

You could send for this and add you only want them to send it if the named mother is Caroline Pamela, if this matches then they will send it. If this is your William keep in mind that his mother may not have named the father and he doesn't appear on the certificate, then again you might get lucky.

mmn = Mothers Maiden Name

bren

tommy0121

master brummie
hi there all, i wonder if anyone can help me, i,m doing some research on summer lane, nechells, particularly my old dad who was a barrow boy in the old bullring, can anyone pass me the the words of that old song, "way down summer lane" theres another couple of old songs relevent to the area that i would be interested in, any old stories would also be welcome, cheers tom lewin.

col h

master brummie
I could be wrong, but I thought the original post was looking for help tracing someone now, not family history research.......

col h

master brummie
hi there all, i wonder if anyone can help me, i,m doing some research on summer lane, nechells, particularly my old dad who was a barrow boy in the old bullring, can anyone pass me the the words of that old song, "way down summer lane" theres another couple of old songs relevent to the area that i would be interested in, any old stories would also be welcome, cheers tom lewin.
I'd be interested in that as well.

I can remember hearing one with a chorus that started 'Two black eyes and a snotty nose' and with the hook ' to her home in summer lane'

But I've got no idea when or where I would have heard it, jus one of those songs thats stuck in my mind.

James R

proper brummie kid
Hi! I am looking for information on the Robinson family of Sutherland Street and Montague street Aston, any information of photographs of the area would be welcome,Cheers looking forward to any assistance.Aye

sue reeves

knowlegable brummie
Hi my husband Barry Reeves who lived on Lichfield Road Aston was a friend of Charilie Robinson who lived in Montague Street. This friendship would have been in the 50's and 60's.

James R

proper brummie kid
Cheers Sue!,I presume that would be the 'Young' Charlie Robinson and would be in his teens during the 50's I do know that his father worked in the building trade,I am also looking for the Sutherland st Robinsons who lived in Popular Grove,my reasons after all these years I was brought up in Sutherland st but at an early age decided to enlist in the Royal Marines and was serving abroad at the time of the demise of Family and now after all these years memories come flooding back,I did serve 25 years in the Marines and never once returned to the area of my youth.Many thanks for your reply.Aye James Robinson

James R

proper brummie kid
Cheers Barrie!.All information welcome.And by your avtar I presume you were a messenger of the Gods??.Aye JR