• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tracing Elliott family 1881

Elliott

I'm new to the forum so am finding my way round. I hope this is the right place to be writing!
In 1881 the Elliott family were living at 9 21 Court Clifton Road. I think I've found it on a street map but can't be sure. Can anyone help please? I've got Chris Upton's book on the Back to Backs so have a bit of understanding about them (and have visited the National Trust Back to Backs in Birmingham) but there seem to be a wide variety of types of courtyards. I'm not sure how I interpret the map I've got so any help would be appreciated.
1563198824843.png

Elliott
Yes, you have got the right place. Below are two larger scale maps dated c1889 and c1950, showing the house no 9 court 21 in red. Ignore the red pointer on the left, as that is an artifact from obtaining the map

map c1889 showing 9 court 21 clifton st.jpgmap c1950 showing 9 court 21 clifton st.jpg

hello elliott and welcome....i am sure our map expert mikejee can supply you with a slightly better map highlighting where your family were living in 1881...could you just confirm that they were at house no 9 21 court?..i will also move this thread to our maps section of the forum for you...oops sorry mike we posted at the same time

lyn

Thank you Mikejee. That's really helpful. I tried to purchase the map from Old Maps earlier this afternoon but put the marker in the wrong place and got somewhere completely different. Expensive mistake- should have asked the forum instead.

Yes, Lyn- house No.9 Court 21.

The family came from Leicestershire in 1861/2 from a farming background- quite a change of surroundings for them! In 1862 the Elliotts were in Coleshill Street, having married at Bishop Ryder Church. By 1869 the family were living in Roebuck Lane, West Bromwich. Unfortunately the 1871 census return seems to be one of the missing documents so I can't then find them until 1875 when their address was Back 62 Coleshill Street...By 1891 they'd moved to Witton Lane. I believe they were employed in the Kynoch factory....

I've only recently found this forum but there's so much interesting information here. Brilliant!

we are always happy to help elliott especially our members who like yourself has already done a lot of family research but then hits the brick wall...we love a mystery on here so if you need any further help just ask

lyn

Thomas & Alice (if I have the right Elliotts) appear to have a son, John, with birth and death registered Sep qtr 1870 in West Bromwich and a son, John Henry, with birth registered Sep qtr 1871 in West Bromwich and death registered Sep qtr 1872 in Aston.

Baptism, burial, birth or death records might tell you where they are in between.

Thank you. I've missed a few children I know as the 1911 census states that they had 22 children 15 of whom had died. I've done a lot of family history research over the years but this one was a big surprise. I had missed the 1911 census record until very recently as Thomas Burrows Elliott's writing was difficult to read and had been mistranscribed. His wife was Alice nee Lockton.

crikey elliot i can honestly say that i have seen many large families but 22 is an awful lot....mom must have been pregnant for most of her child bearing days and to lose 15 of them is so very sad but very typical of the day..
lyn

Back