• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Toye & Co

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Just watched a very interesting programme on BBC4: Hidden Histories, Britain's Oldest Family Businesses. Episode 2 is about Toye & Co (now Toye, Kenning & Spencer) who've made regalia for many generations including for the Military, the Suffragette movement, the Freemasons and for the 1953 Coronation at Westminster Abbey. They operate in 3 locations: Birmingham, Bedworth and London. A nice family business history which has evolved to survive many economic ups and downs. Not sure if the link below will work, but if not the programme is available on iPlayer. Currently 29 days left to watch this episode. Viv.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03qlp97

Thanks Viv that looks very interesting will catch it on Iplayer.

Darn it, I missed that! Will take a look on iPlayer.
I worked in the sales office in Warstone Lane (actually a cubbyhole most of the time) of Toye Kenning and Spencer, starting when it was named W. J. Dingley around 1959 and finishing when it was TK&S in 1965. Brian Toye was in charge then, with Mr. Hull - they both came to my wedding in 1963.
I have some great memories of my time there.

Think you'll both enjoy the programme Wendy and Charlie. Very long history, embroidery, regalia .... What's not to like ? I was enthralled. Well worth a look, a lot of emphasis on the London aspect but all the same a very interesting programme. Viv.

Sounds great Charlie you were so lucky to have worked at these wonderful places. Thank you for the extra information. We are going to watch it tonight. thank you again Viv for the update!

Just watched the programme, many thanks Viv for providing the information and link.
Yes, it was fascinating, I remember Mr Bert Toye well and, of course, his son Brian (he spelled it with an "i" then, not a "y" - must have gone up in the world, lol). Brian looks so different now, he was quite a chubby young man when I knew him, I guess the heart attack encouraged him to lose weight.
When I was there, Warstone Lane was the manufactory for medals, medallions and sports trophies and Bedworth was where they did the clothwork (i.e embriodery etc). Some very talented embroiders and hand painters worked there and I'm sure still do.
The programme was a sort of "Who Do You Think You Are" for family businesses!

Glad you enjoyed it Charlie. So good to hear your memories of the company. I absolutely adored the embroidery, such a lovely skill. I liked the history about the uniforms too. Seems incredible that once the military wore bright red jackets with lots of flashing gold braid and sparkly buttons - walking targets. And I loved the gold epaulettes, just like those worn by the men on the Quality Street tins. Shall be watching the other programmes in the series too. Viv.

We just watched it as well. What a lovely programme we did enjoy it! What a great piece of history especially the banners at the Queens Coronation. How lovely for you Charlie to have such memories x

I must have missed this thread, but until I retired in 2011 I was Sales Manager for Naish Felts Ltd, based in Wilton, Wiltshire. We supplied TKS Ltd Bedworth with top-quality wool felt used in the manufacture of embroidered badges. I can't remember any 'names' at Bedworth, unfortunately, but visits to their Bedworth factory were always 'interesting'.....for various reasons....

Naish Felts Ltd, formerly known until 1995 as E V Naish Ltd, were founded in the year 1800, so almost as old as TKS, I think.

G

Last edited:
I've been to visit the Freemasons Hall museum in Covent Garden today, afterwards I looked across the street where Toye Kenning and Spencer have had a shop for many years but I couldn't see it.
Just checked on the internet and I can see it's now permanently closed :( I can only assume it's partly down to Covid plus the (no doubt) high rents in the area.
They do alot of work for the Freemasons but I guess there was otherwise very much passing trade - shame.

The shop when I last remember seeing it...
440px-Toye_Kenning_Spencer_London_3169.jpeg.jpg

I've been to visit the Freemasons Hall museum in Covent Garden today, afterwards I looked across the street where Toye Kenning and Spencer have had a shop for many years but I couldn't see it.
Just checked on the internet and I can see it's now permanently closed :( I can only assume it's partly down to Covid plus the (no doubt) high rents in the area.
They do alot of work for the Freemasons but I guess there was otherwise very much passing trade - shame.

The shop when I last remember seeing it...
View attachment 161638
For some years they have gradually reduced producing masonic regalia. Freemasons Hall opened a shop (Letchworths) in competition, the shop has recently been updated and is next to the museum. The influx of regalia from Far East at lower prices but poorer quality has increased.

For some years they have gradually reduced producing masonic regalia. Freemasons Hall opened a shop (Letchworths) in competition, the shop has recently been updated and is next to the museum. The influx of regalia from Far East at lower prices but poorer quality has increased.

Ah yes!
I did notice the shop room inside the hall, next to the Museum but it hadn't crossed my mind that it might have been in competition.

919603E2-AC3C-4BEE-B3AC-05BB5C9C08E2.jpeg

Hi! I bought this ring for my boyfriend and it’s got a TKS hallmark, but we have no idea what the symbol is! Is it something specific to the area?

View attachment 173376

Hi! I bought this ring for my boyfriend and it’s got a TKS hallmark, but we have no idea what the symbol is! Is it something specific to the area?
Hi and welcome to Birmingham History Forum. The item you have looks like a brutalist design ring in blue enamel. TKS will most likely be Toye, Kenning & Spencer who made this sort of thing in the mid 70’s.

Hello! Ah yes I knew that — if by chance you searched the image, that image is the very ring I have. I can’t find any other similar on the internet. Problem is, brutalist doesn’t seem to shed much light on what the symbol actually is! I’ll keep on searching. Thanks though :)

Hello! Ah yes I knew that — if by chance you searched the image, that image is the very ring I have. I can’t find any other similar on the internet. Problem is, brutalist doesn’t seem to shed much light on what the symbol actually is! I’ll keep on searching. Thanks though :)
There was a chap called Bob Cooper making stuff like that in the jewellery quarter. He was quite into the Arabic and Yiddish symbolism. I recall he went and set up by himself, but have not seen or heard from him for years.

Back