• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Toyah Wilcox

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi wendy ;
HERE ; HERE ; OUR WENDY ;
I WOULD SAY A GREAT BIG ONE I WOULD RATHER SAY OUR WENDY WOULDNT YOU
A GREAT BIG RED ONE ; TOP CLASS ;
HAVE A NICE EVENING WENDY ; BEST WISHES ASTONIAN

Yes she was in I'm a Celebrity Get Me out of Here. When she was in it she was slated for looking old and past it back here in the UK. She came back from that, saw herself on tape, went off to France and had a face lift and wrote a book on it! She was deeply affected by comments about how she looked.

That's awful I know people in the public eye worry about how they look and I now understand why! It's sad that they have to do this. In my eyes she looked fine after all she couldn't wear makeup....newspapers and media have a lot to answer for! I think she is lovely.

Let's face it: anyone who appears on "I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here" is past it.... And if she was so proud of being a Brummie, why did she affect a London accent?

Big Gee

hi big gee
thats quite easely she moved to london to progree her proffession and being a brummie you have to do it its like tom jones aqnd the rest of midlans groups and enterainers thats where all the work is and the agents in the enterainment world is
and when you move to another part of the globe what ever or where ever you go
rubbing shoulders with another breed of people you slowly and with out noticeing you pick up there accent ;
its like mixing with people whom use bad languenge it rubbs on you
when i was young i went to live in wales and after afew years i came back with the slight welsh lingo ;
but you can never and one should never forget your roots and then your accents come back to where you come from
just like the kids next to me and there parents they came from the black country when they was young now they speak worcerites accen
but thats why she left brum to further her carreer now she his a worcerite ; in pershore astonian

Astonian I didn't pick up a Welsh accent lived with the natives for over 14 years and with a Welsh woman for 30 she still talking to me

Strange, because people like Ozzy Osbourne, Roy Wood and Noddy Holder, for example, did extremely well in the music business without dropping their native accents.
I rather suspect that she thought it was 'uncool' to have a Brummie accent.

Big Gee

Perhaps being sent to a private school in Edgbaston she lost her accent there. She doesnt seem to have a regional accent from anywhere.

She never had a Birmingham accent in the first place. She's middle class, from a well off family and went to a private school. I was a big fan of hers when I was a kid/teen, but the "overcoming prejudice in my journey up from the streets" routine was always fake. She played at being a punk rebel because suburbia bored her. Having said that, her talent was genuine, and she was successful enough in her day to deserve a star on Broad Street. Lesser successes than her seem to have been given one.

Never been a fan derek. Do admire her for overcoming her prominent lisp though. This would have put a lot off from acting or singing.

She was always a little different before there were Punks, she used to come through the indoor market when she was in Drama school in about 1976/77.
I remember she wore a long black cloak and dyed her hair different colours and always smiled so prettily at everyone

She overcame a lot of problems in her life being born with a twisted spine and suffering dyslexia.

A nice young lady.

I don't think Toyah came from a particularly wealthy family. Her father owned a small woodworking company on The Slough Studley making novelty standard lamps with a spinning wheel attached to the bottom, with separate little stools. He used to take them around to shops to sell. I know because I used to buy them off him and sell them in my lighting shop. Many years later when I visited my 2nd husbands sister, I noticed one of the stools on her landing which she had bought off me 30 years earlier. He was always a very friendly gentleman. I always admired Toyah for being her own person.

hi lillilady and friends
I have to agree with lilli ; she is a star ; and of great prestige as a singer cabarlet no she is not of the punk style now she is smartly and fashioned dres to the nines

as i have sauid i knew her when she was young in one of my old threads when then she lived in edgbaston many , many years ago , best wishes astonian;;

Last edited by a moderator:
Surprised that she's the star in the family according to the local paper. Would have thought her husband deserved a bigger credit.

Last edited by a moderator:
She has been married to Robert Fripp for a long time, but supposedly they lived in different countries at one time, USA and UK. I saw them recently on TV together and they looked very happy.

A Sparks,Astonian perhaps you would like to continue this conversation by person message.Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back