• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

I worked there around 1967 and 1968 and at that time we moved from Station Rd to The High St and take it from me there were lorry loads of toys. At that time all of the drivers were firemen who drove the lorries as a part time job for extra money.
A couple of pictures I’ve found from around that time. A bit of horseplay in the Station Rd warehouse with the warehouse manager Tony (can’t remember his surname)
View attachment 171286View attachment 171286

Attachments

• 40B36681-C86A-4AC5-B487-5829125CA8F0.jpeg
    40B36681-C86A-4AC5-B487-5829125CA8F0.jpeg
    871.9 KB · Views: 20
  • C5F78D13-21D3-4A31-8E96-B62F0F78E714.jpeg
    C5F78D13-21D3-4A31-8E96-B62F0F78E714.jpeg
    939.8 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
And what about the dope you got to paint your gliders with? :? You could get real dopey sniffing that. :roll:
I remember the place well. The planes were made by kielcraft or or something like that.
They were made of balsa Wood from The Amazon Jungle (Rainforest now)
There was a sheet or two of the stuff with the part needed printed on it.
You cut it out with a model knife which was a bit like a scalpel.
when all was together you stuck special paper over the frame with -I don`t remember the adhesive-.
The result was pretty impressive. it now needed to be painted with "Dope". this was a paint of some sort.
it was called "dope" after the paint used on plywood aeroplanes with wooden frames.
I guess this was due the paints` quality for making one feel drunk.
They were designed to fly by elastic band power but I never found this powerful enough for much flight.
I made fairy Gannet and Hawker Hurricane that I remember. I found Airfix plastic models easier to make, there was a bigger selection and you could hang more of then on your bedroom ceiling.
Did anyone else shoot them all off their ceiling with a catapult or airgun when you got to 14?

I remember the place well. The planes were made by kielcraft or or something like that.
They were made of balsa Wood from The Amazon Jungle (Rainforest now)
There was a sheet or two of the stuff with the part needed printed on it.
You cut it out with a model knife which was a bit like a scalpel.
when all was together you stuck special paper over the frame with -I don`t remember the adhesive-.
The result was pretty impressive. it now needed to be painted with "Dope". this was a paint of some sort.
it was called "dope" after the paint used on plywood aeroplanes with wooden frames.
I guess this was due the paints` quality for making one feel drunk.
They were designed to fly by elastic band power but I never found this powerful enough for much flight.
I made fairy Gannet and Hawker Hurricane that I remember. I found Airfix plastic models easier to make, there was a bigger selection and you could hang more of then on your bedroom ceiling.
Did anyone else shoot them all off their ceiling with a catapult or airgun when you got to 14?
Never shot down the airplanes but we used to set up the toy soldier in the garden with shelters and pretend bombed out buildings. Then we would take turns with the gat gun. Remember those? Lol

That's weird. Only talking about A B Fletchers last night but couldn't remember the name of it. I used to be in a motor club and spent many hours in there looking for car bits for my mini in the 1970s.
A.B.Fletchers, we’re best when before the current store, it was housed in leaking corrugated sheds. I could spend hours there rummaging through boxes of car bits that I did not need. I recall one enormous pallet box full of wiring looms that were totally tangled up. There was no chance of getting them sorted.

i dont know what AB fletcher has to do with toy shops :grinning: but fletchers was good just after the war,selling most MOD items like the red + ambos,and trucks. there shop in avenue rd was good if like Chunky you liked mooching in wooden crates for
miscellaneous swag to build things

Surprised nobody has mentioned Arthur Penn's model shop on College Road in Handsworth - mid 70s I think. To a lad used to nothing more sophisticated than Airfix kits bought from Woolworths on Soho Road or one of the newsagents along Rookery Road the Tamiya stuff he stocked was an absolute revelation.
Do you remember JOJO's record shop next door to the model shop 1974/5

Sylvia, there was indeed a shop, I think? it was almost where you place it, It was certainly on a corner, and in Stephens Street. I was often taken there, along with my brothers in the early sixties. As for one near Rachams? I don't recall that one.

.The shop you mention Sylvia, I think it may have moved into the nearby arcade later on, although I cant be sure. It was a magical shop, and sold many toys, a brilliant place for a child.
Yes you are right it moved to Burlington Arcade, i used to spend ages looking at the displays in the window, it was about half way down the arcade on the left hand side, the same side as Watches of Switzerland which was the big corner shop at the entrance to the arcade. The display the owner had was sensational the window was packed with every model and toy you could think of, i had a saturday job just a bit further up the arcade at a green grocers and would very often see children just staring at the displays wishing they could make a selection.

A.B.Fletchers, we’re best when before the current store, it was housed in leaking corrugated sheds. I could spend hours there rummaging through boxes of car bits that I did not need. I recall one enormous pallet box full of wiring looms that were totally tangled up. There was no chance of getting them sorted.
Wasnt Fletchers located in Gt Lister Street, i am sure i remember buying ex mod tools etc.

I know this isn't Aston but can anyone help settle an argument I have had with a friend, I recalled a wonderful toy shop which may have been a model toy shop which was located at the corner of Stephenson Street and
Navigation Street, just past the old entrance to New Street Station before
redevelopment, I loved to look in there it was a treasure trove to me as a child. When we used to go to catch a tram to the Lickeys I always lingered
looking in the window but never went inside. My friend disputes this and said I'm thinking of a shop near the back of Rackhams somewhere. Help
I can't recall the name.
the model planes sold at the model aerodrome were KIEL CRAFT used to go there every saturday when i had my pocket money not sure i have spelt/ kiel craft right

jake
I used to buy them. If I remember rightly they cost 3/6. This is three shillings and 6 pence. There were sheets of Balsa Wood with the necessary lines printed on, You just cut them out using those guidelines and glued them together with Balsa Glue. They had the necessary components to make them to be elastic driven. The North American Sabre was Jettex driven. That was really a little rocket motor. You needed to line the inside of the fuselage with tinfoil to stop it burning. I didn`t finish my Sabre and did not try it with motor (which you had to buy separately). I did try a Jettex motor on a plastic boat whith the inevitable result that it melted.

It was on the corner of Gt Lister Steet and Lawlet Street. I too recall the ex mod tools etc
The only way i knew they were ex M O D equipment was they were marked WD with an arrow which i remember my dad saying it stood for war department, this was early sixties probably still got them somewhere in the bottom of my toolbox. From memory i recall they had lots of ex military stuff which was good quality and well made, much better than some of todays stuff that is made in China.

In case it helps anyone searching this thread for addresses of old model shops, here are some listings of Birmingham model shops from the old "aeromodeller" magazine. - From 1972, except the Howbel model one which is 1958.

Attachments

• Bhammodelshops1.jpg
    Bhammodelshops1.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Bhammodelshops2.jpg
    Bhammodelshops2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 12
  • Bhammodelshops3.jpg
    Bhammodelshops3.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 9
  • header.jpg
    header.jpg