• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Toy/Model Shops City Centre

There was a 'Bob's Models' shop in Hobs Moat Road up to a few years ago where I purchased my wooden period model ship kits, but now gone, now have to buy on line. Eric

Does anyone recall a model shop in Harborne, in Albert Road's side passageway in the 1970s? They had an attached Barbers shop. That was the only way I'd agree to get my short-backnsides in those days, if I could pick a model kit to follow with my pocket money

That was the way from the 11 bus to the doctor's (Dr Crombie) when I was young - it was 'Albert Walk' - but the model shop wasn't there then (1950s)

Does anyone recall a model shop in Harborne, in Albert Road's side passageway in the 1970s? They had an attached Barbers shop. That was the only way I'd agree to get my short-backnsides in those days, if I could pick a model kit to follow with my pocket money
I can now see its a Fish & Chip shop in Albert Walk. So it's Cod rather than FROG.

Hi there,
I'm trying to remember the name of the little model railway shop that was in an arcade off Stephenson St (Husdons Bookshop was at the Stephenson St end). When you got to the model shop at the far end of the arcade, New St was up to the left. If anyone has any info or even better, a picture of the shop, I'd really appreciate it.
Thanks.

I first went there in the late 60s/early 70s. It was where two arcades met. The one had Hudsons Bookshop and the other, going down to Stephenson St had the Iron Horse pub (that looked like an old train).

Chris! You nailed it! It was Hornton's! I'm so glad you put that link up... It was driving me crazy!
Thanks so much. And thanks for the welcome!
Phil.

Hi,

Horntons had another shop opposite the one on the corner of Lower Temple St.
It was in Navigation Street right next to the Railway Bridge.
I think that was the original shop, and the Lower Temple St one followed,
but I can't remember if they were both in use at the same time.

But I don't remember the one in the Burlington Arcade being Hornton's.

Kind regards
Dave

The question now is - does anyone have further information about this business and, especially, an image?

Chris
If I remember correctly, Hornton's had a model railway layout in their window that operated when a hand was placed on a sensor on the window. That was during the late '50's. I'm not sure how long this system was in operation..............................Mal

Hi,

Horntons had another shop opposite the one on the corner of Lower Temple St.
It was in Navigation Street right next to the Railway Bridge.
I think that was the original shop, and the Lower Temple St one followed,
but I can't remember if they were both in use at the same time.

But I don't remember the one in the Burlington Arcade being Hornton's.

Kind regards
Dave
I think the model shop in Burlington Arcade was called 'Kamco Models', or something very similar. I seem to recall being told it was staffed by some relative of Colonel Bowden, a very well-known modeller of the pre-war years. .......................... Mal

I made several visits to the shop in question, initially with my late father and other family members from about 1961; later visits would be made alone or with friends up to around the mid-1970s, by which time I think that it had closed.
As I recall - or initially at least - it was known, and branded simply as The Model Shop and it was run by a female proprietor.
Outside, there was an almost full-length window-display of some 12-15 feet and a doorway to the right; interior dimensions were modest, perhaps to a depth of only around 6 feet, including the shelves of stock.
I can remember reading an illustrated review of the shop in one of the Model Railway Magazines of the early 1960s but, so far, I cannot find this within my surviving copies either of Railway Modeller or Model Railway News. However, several of my Railway Modellers include small block advertisements, the earliest to hand being the April 1961 edition. I attach one of these from a year later, by which time there is a telephone number, and thisDSC_1389.JPG might assist those with access to Trade Directories.

In 1977 a model shop called Roundhouse Models opened on Bristol Road Selly Oak owned by Geoff Greenfield and David Brewer . It only sold trains. In 1978 David decided his future was making his own business and the partnership was dissolved. The two remained friends and Roundhouse Models was eventually sold on to another owner bit soon failed . Dave Brewer went on to found Tower Models in Blackpool which became a major player in 0 gauge model railways. Dave retired in 2018 but the company is still going strong .

Yes I went there in the early 70s . Small but well stocked general model shop . Had my hair cut there once , the owner was better at selling models than he was at cutting hair

I made several visits to the shop in question, initially with my late father and other family members from about 1961; later visits would be made alone or with friends up to around the mid-1970s, by which time I think that it had closed.
As I recall - or initially at least - it was known, and branded simply as The Model Shop and it was run by a female proprietor.
Outside, there was an almost full-length window-display of some 12-15 feet and a doorway to the right; interior dimensions were modest, perhaps to a depth of only around 6 feet, including the shelves of stock.
I can remember reading an illustrated review of the shop in one of the Model Railway Magazines of the early 1960s but, so far, I cannot find this within my surviving copies either of Railway Modeller or Model Railway News. However, several of my Railway Modellers include small block advertisements, the earliest to hand being the April 1961 edition. I attach one of these from a year later, by which time there is a telephone number, and thisView attachment 152432 might assist those with access to Trade Directories.
A family named Perry opened a model shop opposite the Capitol cinema in the 1950s . The shop changed hands either due to illness or death of the owner . This must have been late 60s or very early 70s . The surving family ( mother , son and daughter ) then bought the model shop in Burlington Passage . I left Birmingham late 1978 . I am not sure when the shop closed

BERNIE D'BOULT;
When The Model Aerodrome closed they moved to Alum Rock Road facing
the Capitol cinema just in the corner by the bridge. The owners son was named
Chris and he went on to be a rep for Solido diecast cars. Imet him in later years.
Are you talking about the Perry's, who for some years owned the model shop opposite the Capitol. The son , if I remember correctly was named Chris. After the father was either ill or died , the shop was sold . Later the family took over the shop in Burlington Passage.

Surprised nobody has mentioned Arthur Penn's model shop on College Road in Handsworth - mid 70s I think. To a lad used to nothing more sophisticated than Airfix kits bought from Woolworths on Soho Road or one of the newsagents along Rookery Road the Tamiya stuff he stocked was an absolute revelation.

In the late 1950's myself and two or three friends often called into Perrys shop opposite the Capitol after school just to have a good chat with the owner. Very nice owner and very tolerant with us though he was probably glad when we eventually left as we could not afford to buy much being only on pocket money.

I recall a model shop on the Stratford Road in the late 50s/early 60s. It was near the Main Street/Long Street junctions on the opposite side to the Farm Road one. I used to stare longingly at the Hornby locos in the window, which were to expensive for my pocket money. There were Meccano kits and Mamoud steam engines on display too.

I recall a model shop on the Stratford Road in the late 50s/early 60s. It was near the Main Street/Long Street junctions on the opposite side to the Farm Road one. I used to stare longingly at the Hornby locos in the window, which were to expensive for my pocket money. There were Meccano kits and Mamoud steam engines on display too.
According to the 1955 Kelly's this shop could have been Model Aerodrome Ltd, at 141 Stratford Rd, in 1967-68 Kelly's this shop was shown as Woodcraft, owned by F.J. Griffiths. Also in 1967-68 Kelly's it shows the Model Aerodrome has moved to 131 Stratford Road.

141 stratford rd model aerodrome.PNG131 stratford rd.PNG

Last edited:
Yes I went there in the early 70s . Small but well stocked general model shop . Had my hair cut there once , the owner was better at selling models than he was at cutting hair
I recall this shop in the late 50's and into the 60's. On entering the shop the toy/sweet counter was straight in front and you had to turn right through a door to enter the barber section. As children we would go in and ask to see the 'penny tray' and the lady would produce a tray containing a selection of sweets each costing 1d. Next to the shop and also opposite was a pet/garden store. I recall at a certain time each year through the pet shop window a vast number of tortoises could be seen all clambering over each other. In the same row of shops could be found a ladies hairdresser and ladies clothes shop. Around the corner was a fruit and veg shop and I think a small antique shop.

Does anyone remember a Toy shop in Small Heath called if my spelling is correct Mc Caulleys or McGualleys not far from the Bus Garage . Also a model shop on Church Road Yardley on the left hand side just past Yardley Junior and Infants School. I think it eventually became a hairdressers. Used the model shop to buy Balsa Wood and other bits.

If it was that McGauleys then they had more than one shop. I recall the Shirley one. Don't remember toys though only prams and other baby paraphernalia. Plus bikes.

Hi Time Traveller,

I remember the shop, McGauleys on the same side as the bus garage, and
a bit past the junction with Cattell Road.

We bought the pram for our first child from them in the 60's

Kind regards
Dave
Brilliant thanks for the reply looking at the picture seems it was a big shop. Nice to look back many thanks Dave89.
Hi Time Traveller,

I remember the shop, McGauleys on the same side as the bus garage, and
a bit past the junction with Cattell Road.

We bought the pram for our first child from them in the 60's

Kind regards
Dave

Back