• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Towser, sketch of a Cat

cookie273uk

master brummie
Saw a pic of Towser (21.4.63 - 20.3.87) lived almost 24 years, born, lived and died in Glenturret Distillery, Perthshire, Scotland's oldest distillery. Towser was in Guiness Book of Records as world top mouse catcher, 28,899 mice. The reason they knewTowser 21.4.63 - 20 3 87.jpg the exact amount was because she took them to the Still Room every day and the distillery workers counted them. My Wife bought the Post Card on our visit during a holiday in Scotland in the 90's. Eric

Last edited:
BG,

I can't stand the aftertaste of whisky and we've had a bottle of Glen-something 12 years old single malt standing in the cupboard unopened for at least 6 years. We won it in a raffle. Had several people want to buy it from us, but I've no idea of its worth. It looks good on the shelf! My other half has a bottle of unopened House of Lords whisky, but it's all unappreciated in this house. Very occasionally I might have a gin & tonic, and Jan the occasional short of Cognac or Metaxa 12, but that's our limit.

I like the cat though, Eric, it did well. :)

Maurice

There's a lot more about Towser - who was 'she', not 'he' - on the net. She's commemorated with a plaque and a statue of her at the distillery. Bless!

G

Hi Lyn,

I had to go to the back of the cupboard for this one. It's not Glen-anything, it is MACALLAN and it is actually 10 years not 12,
although they no longer produce a 10 years old, only 12, 25 and 40 years old. All 12 years old single malts are £60 rising to £1,350 for a 40 year old. The distillery site is here:- https://www.themacallan.com/en/shop

The distillery is at Craigellachie on Speyside, a few miles south of Elgin. As my knowledge of Scotland amounts to a few day business trips to Edinburgh & Glasgow Library HQ, I can't help you much further! At those prices I think I will stick to my very occasional gin & tonic. That's no doubt sacrilege to the guys that drink this stuff! :)

Maurice

Sorry Big Gee, the PC did not state the sex of the cat, did not notice statue or plaque, to busy trying the free samples. Have now changed he to she. Eric

Last edited:
Some twelve or so years ago the Parish Priest gave me a bottle of Glenfiddick as a Christmas gift. Similar to the bottle Maurice has this one is still unopened. It was suggested that it be used for the little Christmas cakes we make but I felt it was too expensive a product for that use and a cheaper blended version would be more appropriate.
as far as I know when a whisky/whiskey is ten years old - or whatever age it is, then, when bottled, is what it stays. it does not age such as wine does.

Last edited:
Alan,

I believe you are correct, and some of the oldest stuff goes through three different casks. Once in the bottle it is inert until opened.

Maurice

Hi Lyn,

I had to go to the back of the cupboard for this one. It's not Glen-anything, it is MACALLAN and it is actually 10 years not 12,
although they no longer produce a 10 years old, only 12, 25 and 40 years old. All 12 years old single malts are £60 rising to £1,350 for a 40 year old. The distillery site is here:- https://www.themacallan.com/en/shop

The distillery is at Craigellachie on Speyside, a few miles south of Elgin. As my knowledge of Scotland amounts to a few day business trips to Edinburgh & Glasgow Library HQ, I can't help you much further! At those prices I think I will stick to my very occasional gin & tonic. That's no doubt sacrilege to the guys that drink this stuff! :)

Maurice[/QUOTE maurice, i will stick to £10 jamesons. I sure would not pay £1.350

Yes Alan, you are correct,. Much of the flavour and all the colour comes from the barrel

Seeing how Towser made it to 24 living in a distillery, we're going to give our cat Joolz a drop of Famous Grouse tonight...should do him good. Will let you know results.....

G

Back