• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Town Labourer ?

terry carter

Birmingham Pals
My great uncle died in the Great War. He enlisted into the Special Reserve in 1911 when he was 19 years old. On his service papers he put down as his occupation "Town Labourer". Would this be something like a street cleaner?

Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry
There is a book explaining the town labourer on the e-books in Google the link is very long and I hope it works
https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...K#v=onepage&q=what is a town labourer&f=false

It would seem that a town labourer would have been poorer than a country labourer as they had to rely on what they could earn each day and may not have had back up with for instance access to a garden with a few vegetables to see him through a bad patch.

Regards
Louisa

Back