• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Town Hall 1959 - Buddy Holly

Dennis Williams

Gone but not forgotten
Went to new Town Hall for first time since it was revamped last Teesday to hear DILaw sing with BSO and the Birmingham Choral Society as they did the Messiah. Double whammy. Brilliantly evocative and emotional music and a fantastic sense of History as I marvelled at the architecture. Last time I went was to see Dave Brubeck in the early 60s, and before that the matchless Buddy did it for me. I was in this picture! Fifth row down from the the back, somewhere in the middle. Grey suit, brown hair...

Des O'Connor did a ventriloquist act. No. Still NBGood...

I was in this picture! Fifth row down from the the back, somewhere in the middle. Grey suit, brown hair...

Dennis is that for us in" black and white"Dek:D:D:D

They are opening Stourbridge Town Hall for bands to play again and my grandson is playing there Tuesday night, hope we can get there in this weather

Those were the days - when you wore a suit and tie to go to a gig. Or in my case, best dress and highest stilettoes! I went to see Dave Brubeck there, missed Buddy Holly though.

Dennis he was my rock and roll hero, one of the very first records I bought was "slippin and a slidin" I wanted despratly to go to the gig in 59 but my dad said no, I was to young at 12 yrs, I have always loved his music.
paul

I was in the front row for that Buddy Holly Gig he returned home only to get killed in that air crash. :-( how sad.

Went to new Town Hall for first time since it was revamped last Teesday to hear DILaw sing with BSO and the Birmingham Choral Society as they did the Messiah. Double whammy. Brilliantly evocative and emotional music and a fantastic sense of History as I marvelled at the architecture. Last time I went was to see Dave Brubeck in the early 60s, and before that the matchless Buddy did it for me. I was in this picture! Fifth row down from the the back, somewhere in the middle. Grey suit, brown hair...

Des O'Connor did a ventriloquist act. No. Still NBGood...
Hi Dennis, Any chance of you reposting the photo as it cant be viewed due to site problems. Buddy is my old time hero.

No probs Pete....should have done it straight away, but you know how it is...here's Buddy and the Poster for the concert...and I've added Eddie...MY hero....never played there - just the Hip...but he should have...and I missed him!....still live with the guilt...

Buddy Holly Poster.jpg Buddy Holly Town Hall.jpg Eddie Cochran copy.jpg

My parents wouldn't allow me to go and see Buddy Holly at the Town Hall, can't remember why. In those days parents didn't need to give reasons. The funny thing was they were OK about me going to places like the Odeon New Street and the Birmingham Hippodrome. Maybe they knew something about the Town Hall that I didn't! I'd have dearly loved to see Buddy, one of the greats. I haven't yet been to the Town Hall since it was revamped, but hope to one of these days, as they're getting some excellent acts on.

G

Back