• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Book: Town & Country In Victorian East Midlands:Watercolours of A.E.Everitt

BordesleyExile

master brummie
At a time when either there was no photographic record of Birmingham & nearby areas, or photographic records were rare or of poor quality A.E.Everitt of Birmingham was painting watercolours & producing drawings. His exquisitely beautifull work provides us with the opportunity to gain insights into Birmingham whilst enjoying his pictures. Town & Country in the Victorian West Midlands: The Watercolours and Drawings of A.E.Everitt of Birmingham 1824-1882, compiled by Stephen Price the then Keeper Local History Dept Birmingham City Museum & Art Gallery is a book that I know I'll return to again & again and I am confident each new visit will be a joy.
Dennis deserves a HUGE thank you for drawing attention to this very special book on Everitt. I am so glad that you shared this find with us, Dennis.
Attachments:
Moat Lane 1853
Top of High St pre 1850
Ann St 1873
Cherry St Union Inn Yard 25.11.1876

Re: Town & Country in the Victorian East Midlands: The Watercolours of A.E.Everitt of

A veritable treasure trove. Thanks

Re: Town & Country in the Victorian East Midlands: The Watercolours of A.E.Everitt of

The watercolour of Ann Street is one of the finest I've ever seen.

Wonderful images. The pillars of Christ Church on the Ann Street drawing show what a magnificent building it must have been.

Well found, John. Everitt is such an excellent artist I do appreciate finding as many pictures of his as possible.
Yes, Wendy, the detail is superb and gives us such insights. I have just noticed an early lamp below Christchurch too.

I have a picture of the side view of the Town Hall looking towards Christ Church. When was the Church demolished.
the reason I am asking is that my Mother who was born in 1884 went to Sunday morning service, and Sunday School in the afternoon in that church. She was born in Cherry Street, yes I am getting on a bit.
Geff

Christchurch was demolished in 1897

Not seen these before and would never have found them on the Forum. So a big thanks for showing these. As well as being great artwork, they give a good 'inside' feel to the places. Wish I owned the Ann Street view. Love it. thanks. Viv.

Back