• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tower street

Lyn
I think it must have been 44 Lower tower St, as no 44 Tower St would seem to be under the church. I don't know whether it is a coincidence, but the Recreation Ground would seem to be part of what was earlier court 2 Tower St. I attach two maps showing Tower st and Lower Tower st in 1889 and 1913. On the 1889 map court 2 is in blue and court 10 in red. On the 1913 map, the recreation ground is in green and no 44 Lower Tower st in orange. It would seem that between the two maps the terrace of houses in court 10 were demolished, but for consistency have marked twhere they were in red
Sorry too large , will have to post other map on new post

towerstlowertowerstshowingct2and10c1889.jpg

Hi I think my Great grandfather lived at 44 Tower Street, where his dad died in 1898, and then 108 Tower Street in 1901. They were the Terry family. So great to see the old maps of the area.

Hi all, I hope you are all well.
The 1901 census shows my great grandparents living at No2 court 7.
Thanks everyone …A lot of our grand and great grandparents would have known each other! ..great thread, photos and maps..I believe this photo is my great grandfather .Francis Thomas Price...as a publican…he would have known many people I am sure.. he eventually moved the family out to Sheldon and ran the Wheatsheaf in the 1930s..

Attachments

• B2B12522-4513-4141-BEF2-F66B8D5D015B.jpeg
    B2B12522-4513-4141-BEF2-F66B8D5D015B.jpeg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
My great grandparents lived there in 1901 in 1911 they were living in Lennox street, their name was Green.
mossg

2 back 25 was my grandparents house I was born there so was my mother(1916)
Hello Ray,
I was born at 23 Tower Street in 1948 and lived there until 1958. My family name is Bache (Phil and Nellie were my parents) At the same time my Grandfathers Henry Bache and Harry Spencer and my cousin Linda Bache lived in the back houses up the entry behind 25. My best friend Keith Ashley also lived there and my Aunt and Uncle Harold White and Minnie Clark also lived there.
Are any of these names familiar to you.

Good morning Tower street,
I attended St George primary & intfant school from about 1951 to 1956 and remember Ron? Bache, Keith & David Ashley. I lived in Hospital street myself.

Good morning Tower street,
I attended St George primary & intfant school from about 1951 to 1956 and remember Ron? Bache, Keith & David Ashley. I lived in Hospital street myself.
Hello mossg,
I also went to St. George’s primary and infant school during that time and think I left about 1958 to go to Summer Lane School. (guess I may be slightly younger than you 73). (Keith Ashley was around my age and David was his older brother). Hospital Street was the next road on the left and right with the barrel pub on the corner where I used to go to the outdoor to get my dad a jug of beer. (further down into lower Tower Street was the playground on the corner of Hospital Street) I used to walk down Hospital Street to my school and there was a small sweet shop that sold “knickerbockers glories and Frozen jubilees)

I was born and lived at 23 Tower Street between 1948 and 1958. What were the names of your great grandparents as I may have known them?
My Grandad John Frederick Griffin was born in 4 back 90 Tower Street in 1886 - so probably way too far back, but information on the street would be welcome.

My Grandad John Frederick Griffin was born in 4 back 90 Tower Street in 1886 - so probably way too far back, but information on the street would be welcome.
not too far back...i am sure if one of our map experts spots your post they will post a map showing where 4/90 was...and we do have some old photos on this thread showing what the houses were like round about the time your grandad lived there

not too far back...i am sure if one of our map experts spots your post they will post a map showing where 4/90 was...and we do have some old photos on this thread showing what the houses were like round about the time your grandad lived there
Thank you so much. Although my Grandad was born there - sometime before the 1891 census they had moved to Cardiff, where, when he grew up, he married my Grandmother Grace Lilian Rowe. He was in the army from 1904 until 1909 (when he got married) and rejoined the army at the start of ww1. Unfortunately, he only lasted the first month and was killed in action on the 25th Sept. 1914. :(

an all to often sad story...a rellie of mine married and went straight into battle only to be KIA 6 months later..do you have your grandads ww1 war records as some records did survive the bombing of ww2

lyn

The map below shows the area around 4/90 in c1886. The court in which your grandfather was born is marked in red. I would assume (and this is an assumption, though probably correct, that the houses were numbered from the street end, in which case your grandad's house would be the one in red. He, or rather his parents, would have been well placed for a drink, as no 90 was a pub, and at number 88 (according to the 1881 census, was another pub. both probably beerhouses.

map c1886 showing back 90 Tower St.jpg

an all to often sad story...a rellie of mine married and went straight into battle only to be KIA 6 months later..do you have your grandads ww1 war records as some records did survive the bombing of ww2

lyn
Thanks Lyn. I don't have his war records, but have researched quite thoroughly and as far as can be ascertained - they are ones that didn't survive. However, I have loads of information other than that. He hasn't got a grave, as his body was never recovered. He is listed on the La Ferte Sous Jouarre memorial stone. I have the war diary surrounding the date of his death and that sadly, is a bit sketchy around the actual date. It mentions some privates who were wounded and some near misses, but my Grandad's death isn't mentioned. I have his father's application for his medals and loads of other information. My Mum didn't remember him at all as she was only 4yrs old when he died and her sisters were both younger than her - the youngest being born 2 weeks after he set sail with the expeditionary force for France. He was killed near a small town called Albert - according to the map tracking his regiment's movements for that day.

The map below shows the area around 4/90 in c1886. The court in which your grandfather was born is marked in red. I would assume (and this is an assumption, though probably correct, that the houses were numbered from the street end, in which case your grandad's house would be the one in red. He, or rather his parents, would have been well placed for a drink, as no 90 was a pub, and at number 88 (according to the 1881 census, was another pub. both probably beerhouses.

View attachment 171980

Back