• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tower street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
mike this is a big ask and i dont know if its possible but could you post a map showing extactly where no 44 tower st would have been(think that would be lower tower st) and also court number 2 and court number 10..also tower st recreation ground...ive got some pics of all these locations taken very early 1900s that have not been posted before..it would be great if we could pinpoint them....

many thanks if you can help...

lyn

hi john and many thanks for that cracking map..it clearly shows the position of the recreation ground..mike said he will try and pinpoint where the courts are i have pics of...

lyn

Lyn
I think it must have been 44 Lower tower St, as no 44 Tower St would seem to be under the church. I don't know whether it is a coincidence, but the Recreation Ground would seem to be part of what was earlier court 2 Tower St. I attach two maps showing Tower st and Lower Tower st in 1889 and 1913. On the 1889 map court 2 is in blue and court 10 in red. On the 1913 map, the recreation ground is in green and no 44 Lower Tower st in orange. It would seem that between the two maps the terrace of houses in court 10 were demolished, but for consistency have marked twhere they were in red
Sorry too large , will have to post other map on new post

towerstlowertowerstshowingct2and10c1889.jpg

I afraid its not St Nicholas church but St Nicholas mission House its in the court behind 96 and 97 Lower Tower Street at one time it was an entrance foe a horse and cart to enter notice the masonry at floor level to stop the wheel damaging the brick work

Hello Mike on your 1913map looking at the block of buildins opposite st George there is a long passage with a bend at the top it was a tunnelbuilt through the buildings my fathers foundry was up there leased from Barker Bros there was always arguments with the metal delivery drivers becaus of that bend in the tunnel the building on the right after the tunnel had a 4foot high door which had a peak after it was vacated a cople of years "someone" decided to try and open it it was covered in blacdirtand dust and hadnt been opened in years I nearlycame to grief because the step started right inside the door we got torches and slow went down a very tight spiral staircase no rails just the wall a room opened on the first level but the stairs went down to another level but we could see water so we went back to the first level there were remanants of crystal glass ware about 4pieces and a small pocket note bookwritten in pencil was a row of what looked like jobs done and 1pennyor 3pence written in the end colum totaled to1s 9d I only wish I had kept the book is there a history of glass working in that area ?? Tom

moss while i was in the library today i found 2 pics of the inside of st nicholas church but was denied taking pics of them..i also found one of men playing cricket outside the rectory which i was allowed to take a pic of....

I afraid its not St Nicholas church but St Nicholas mission House its in the court behind 96 and 97 Lower Tower Street at one time it was an entrance foe a horse and cart to enter notice the masonry at floor level to stop the wheel damaging the brick work

hi john..ive just looked more closely at that pic and it looks like it says st nicholas schools above the entrance..

lyn

What brilliant pictures Lyn. One of my family was born in Lower Tower Street in 1861, so now I know just how depressing it must have been. Marvellous to be able to see these.

Shortie

Great photo's Lyn I see you have been to the Library. I don't understand why they wouldn't let you photograph the other pictures. Maybe they thought you were going to sell them. I have seen DVD's for sale of photo's of Brum on Ebay which annoys me. I just tell people to look on here.

hi wend...just cant work out why i could not take pics of the the inside of st nicholas church...mind you i did have a list of about 12 pics so maybe you are right...i may try again on my next visit...

lyn

Dismal they may have been Lyn, but have you noticed the lack of litter? Due no doubt to having an open fire and no McDonalds!!

Yes Lyn it does say schools run by the mission, St Nicholas church had its frontage onto Lower Tower street, this photograph as been on the forum some time ago.I found the info about the mission in the 1881 census and I d found a few courts also.

Can't see any evidence of glass working. The nearest thing is a glass & china dealer at no 54, and that's not glass working. but if it was a one-man band it might not be mentione din the directories.

Yes Lyn it does say schools run by the mission, St Nicholas church had its frontage onto Lower Tower street, this photograph as been on the forum some time ago.I found the info about the mission in the 1881 census and I d found a few courts also.

ahh i see..thanks for clearing that one up john...

lyn

Dismal they may have been Lyn, but have you noticed the lack of litter? Due no doubt to having an open fire and no McDonalds!!

hi shortie....ive always thought how much cleaner the streets were..well that was the case when i was a kid... and most people swept up outside their own house

lyn

Last edited:
Back