• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tower Road Aston Outdoor

Patty

master brummie
Can anyone find this for me; a picture of my nans outdoor in Tower rd Aston please?

IS THIS IT PATTY
34ns6r8.jpg

Can anyone find this for me; a picture of my nans outdoor in Tower rd Aston please?
Hi Patty

I can't help with the photo but I can paint a picture...
The door was on the left side as you look at it from the street and I actually loved the big glass window. It had beautiful scroll work and was sort of frosted too; which meant that you couldn't really see through it properly.
Once inside the counter ran all the way down the right side and was as solid as a pub bar.
I was only young at the time, so it appeared a little high for me.
It was the same width as the houses in the street as it was not purpose built.
I believe that your nan lived on the property.
On a couple of occasions we got to the outdoor a minute or two after closing time (8 pm I think).
I would have been in my early teens at the time and at that age I was suitably annoyed that she wouldn't serve me. But now I fully understand why she didn't.
I vaguely remember what she looked like because she always served me. My memory is rather vague on any other person behind the counter. Although I never knew her name; she was always friendly towards me.

Good luck with your search.

Back