• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

TOWER ROAD ASTON B6

Hello Baron,
Do you recognise the girl 2nd.from the left on this photo.her name was Pat Leighton and she lived in the middle section of Tower Rd.just by the British Resturant.
Ray.

Baron,
Somwhere you mentioned the greengrocers Hiltons on the corner of Upper Sutton St. do you remember the butcher nex tdoor Bert Steel?Well,the scruffy little squirt behind the counter was me,I was the butcher's boy,for a couple of years.he made me redundent,when I was 13.
Ray.

Baron,
You have me off on memory lane,other name's from Tower Rd. were Pat Carter,my mates sister,(spent more time in their house than my own) she used to change my library books,Their youngest sister was pauline,she now lives in Perth W.A.Tommy Jolly he would be about your age and Smithy,who lived up the same yard,last saw them in The White Swan,when Billy Ross kept it.
Regards,
ray.

Does anyone remember Nigel Mansell (the racing driver) when he lived in Tower Rd.? I dont,however I do remember his mother Emily,she was a friend of my mom.

Baron,Tom Jolly,in the gas house pub,Nechells,once declared,the Russians always throw their glasses in the fireplace after a toast,and proceeded to do so,with a pint glass,understandably the gaffer was not pleased.Does that sound like the Tom Jolly you knew.

Hi Ray,
I think you must have the wrong Nigel!!

I was best man at my cousin's marriage to Nigel's sister Sandra in the 1960's.

Nigel's parents were Joyce and Eric and they lived in Hall Green.

Eric worked at Lucas's. His Grandfather owned Melbourne Engineering Factory at Derby.

Hello James,
Nigel Mansell was never known to me,my mother once told me that her friend Emily,was his mother,and that she split with her husband,and Nigel went to live with his dad,perhaps his dad remarried.There is no reason to doubt my mom,even in her late eighties she had a needle sharp mind,she was even consulted by an author who wrote a book about the "old end".
regards,
Ray.

Thanks for all the interesting facts on Tower Rd. I was hoping to look for it in a fortnights time when I come up to do further research but now I know Tower St is no longer.
One of my rellies lived at no 72 on the 1901 census and had moved from Endicott Rd Aston after the 1891 census.
They were Thomas Hood, wife Anna or Clara depending on her mood and son John C.
Also hoping to find Miller St, Lister St and Powell St. Are they nearby or under the expressway too?

I think someone has already pointed you on another thread to where Lister st was. Powell St is still there, going from Summer hill to Camden st. Part of Miller st remains as a street,, but no old buildings appear to remain. The bit that's no longer there is shown on the map in red. Both can be seen on Street view
mike

Many thanks Mike, now I know were I'm going, I suspect the bit that's missing is the bit I was looking for, but never mind.
Thanks again, Graham

Went back to have a look at the area of TOWER ROAD I lived in for some 24 years & found I could not even enter the gated area it seems to be part of a school grounds now, Looked on Google Erath & can still see the driveway which was up the side of our house to the HP VINAGAR WORKS (thats the one which had the vat explode back in the 50s & flooded our house with vinagar) .
It now gets more & more of a problem to see the aston area as I remember it,it has changed so much.
any more of you guys remember more about Tower Rd in the late 40s/60s

displayimage.php
View attachment 71617View attachment 71618View attachment 71619
Any photos or memories of life in Tower Road ASTON BIRMINGHAM 6.
I lived in the middle part of this road next to the vinegar vats of H.P. It was a little home from home area we had our own outdoor, sweet shop , food shop, and news agents ,veg shop on the corner of upper Sutton st.We even had our own mission hall, which served us over the years as a place of worship, British restaurant, and annex for upper thomas st school, for which the latter, my mom was caretaker until its close when thomas st was demolished to make way for the Aston expressway.
to start you of I post three pics; one of my brother and I in the back yard of 173 the door on the right is the out side LOO. The other two also taken in the same yard, my brother in his upper thomas st football kit (note the boots & the building in the back ground the VATS THAT EXPLODED IN THE 1950S), The last one of my brother and pals, note the missing fence blown down in a bad storm a few days before.
HOPE YOU ENJOY & KEEP THEM COMMING. O0
ASTON

re add photosView attachment 971View attachment 973View attachment 972

These are the photos that are missing from the above post, Iam going to try to add them to this post in the old method as I have tried both old & new to add them too original.

So here goes wish me luck :0)

I just give up THE NEW METHOD TELLS ME THE URL IS INCORRECT & THE OLD ONE JUST GIVE ME A BLANK BOX WITH THE NAME OF MY FILE , YET I UP LOADED TWO PHOTOS USING THE OLD WAY ONLY TWO DAYS AGO.

I lived at 2 back of 72 Tower Road from 1944 to 1955. Does anone having any photos of what the road looked like at that time. Thanks HAS

Has, that address must be in the top part of TOWER ROAD towards Potters Hill ? I lived in the middle part by the mission Hall. this thread had a number of photos but lost in the hacking ,hope we can get these re posted soon.

Hello the Baron, My parents lived at 3 back 192 tower road around 1960 the Cleavers, i remember the whitehouses/willingers the coal lady but i was very young then,but always remember the smell of beer and brown sauce. Never seen pics of where our house was on the road. regards AstonGazz

I wonder if anyone remembers Betty Blencow she lived in Tower rd in the 1950s & she worked at a factory opposite to her house I think the factory made pressing of some sort She married A John Chaplin in 1955 & I have never heard from or about her since,she was a great friend of our family & an old girl friend of mine.

Hi Andy,
I have one or two but you can find all posts on Tower Road if you type 'Tower Road, Aston' in the search block.

Back