• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Tower cinema, West Brom

Alf,
Thanks so much - A very good read, also found the Bugle link, most enlightening.
I am here in Thailand for a little longer than one week, then I shall be back to my old stomping ground. miss the Mercury, and the Bugle, as they were always getting lost in the post, so I stopped them

Ah well! Again Thanks. dontheturner
Hi Have found this picture in my files Of The Tower Cinema West Bromwich I worked with Jimmy Knot in 1968 When Tower closed (ABC) He went to the Coventry Theatre finished at the Futurist at Birmingham..

View attachment 58746

Hi

Im looking for information on the Towers Cinema my grandad William James Love played the organ to the films and im looking for any information.

Kind regards

Nickie Greensill
Decendant

Hi all.

After digging around, my dad managed to lay his hands on the following couple of pictures of the old Tower cinema in West brom. WHAT A PLACE!!!! Real Art Deco cinema, Gala bingo would have had a field day with this one!!!

Quote from his email "Attached are a couple of photos of the cinema that I was telling you about I went to as a child and right up to the time I started going out with your Mum in the 1960's.
Went there three times in a week in about 1958 to see Elvis Presley in Jailhouse Rock.

Gorgeous Art Deco building pulled down by the usual misguided town planners and replaced with rubbish. In one photo is the Clock Tower which is still standing and a lovely old church which is not."

Towercinema.jpg

Towercinema2.jpg

Anyone else got any memories of this place?:)

Hi

Im looking for information on the Towers Cinema my grandad William James Love played the organ to the films and im looking for any information.

Kind regards

Nickie Greensill
Decendant

Hmm This has bought back memories........
This was a very unusual Cinema. This was designed by the Weeden Practice (The Odean Architect) For the Oliver Ciruit (Regal Darliston Group) Was later sold to Assocated Brirish Cinemas.. The manager after the war on demob was Frank W. Attoe (Later moved to ABC (Savoy) Walsall ..
Then Arthur Talor became Manager.. The Last Manager was Ray Adams in April 1968 the then District Manager had the place total redecorated and i think new Screen tabs. (Curtains). For that time I was the Relief Manager until it became a Bingo Hall...
Projection Equipment from Memory was ROSS GC3 Picture Heads... RCA Sound.. Peerless Magnarcs Last Chief Projectionist was Jimmy Knott.

The 2nd Projectionist was Albert Timins who shown me how to project films.. which later I found usful when I had my own Cinemas...

The organist was named Wifred Gregory and They had a Compton

I was very sad to see it closed as a cinema...

Hi

Kind regards

Nickie Greensill
Decendant

Hi all.

After digging around, my dad managed to lay his hands on the following couple of pictures of the old Tower cinema in West brom. WHAT A PLACE!!!! Real Art Deco cinema, Gala bingo would have had a field day with this one!!!

Quote from his email "Attached are a couple of photos of the cinema that I was telling you about I went to as a child and right up to the time I started going out with your Mum in the 1960's.
Went there three times in a week in about 1958 to see Elvis Presley in Jailhouse Rock.

Gorgeous Art Deco building pulled down by the usual misguided town planners and replaced with rubbish. In one photo is the Clock Tower which is still standing and a lovely old church which is not."

Towercinema.jpg

Towercinema2.jpg

Anyone else got any memories of this place?:)

Hi

Kind regards

Nickie Greensill
Decendant

Nickie,

Welcome to the Forum. Did your granddad play anywhere else apart from that cinema. If so, he might warrant an appearance in either The Stage or The Era, both of which are now online, but not free. However, I've had a quick search through both, and have not managed to turn anything up. Perhaps one of our cinema or West Brom buffs might know his name.

Maurice

I could not remember the Tower West Bromwich as I thought I knew most of the West Brom cinemas and unfortunately we have lost the photos that were on this thread. So I have looked it up and found this video, the first half of which relates to the Tower.

from this I see that the cinema was down at Carters Green, an area i did not know so well but remember a few trips that way on my bike

Another video which is about West Brom generally but does have a shot of the Tower at the end.

Back