• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

TOWER BALLROOM TO BE DEMOLISHED

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
i have posted this under the rinks section as this building was originally built in 1827 as a rollar rink...i am sure that many of us will have memories going there when it was a dance hall and more recently i went there a couple of times to once again put on a pair of rollar skates...i have heard on the grapevine that bats have been reported inside the building so i am assuming that before demo can commence in september a bat survey will have to be held...is there no halting birmingham city councils determination to rid our city of every scrap of history we have left...words almost fail me.....am i surprised? no...am i angry..fuming :mad: :mad: :mad: ..below is a notice on the building

lyn

tower balroom demo.jpg

Last edited:
The last time I went to the "Rezza" a few years ago the Tower was being used as a wedding venue. I wonder what "development" they are planning?

Reading the notice in post #1 it seems they want to find out if they need prior permission to demolish it and if a particular method is needed. There doesn't seem to be an application for planning permission on the council website at the moment. Perhaps they want to see how things lie, demolition wise, before they plan fully.

The Government requires local authorities to make use of their land and building assets to finance their activities. Presumably this building has come under review as a possible contender. Is the 1827 building still part of the one in the current building? It looks like it might have an asbestos issue that would increase the cost of demolishing/or an archeological issue if the old building is underneath? Both would add to cost of redevelopment.

I see what you mean about asbesto,. but the presence of asbestos mighty mean that it was recommended that the building should go for health safety reasons, though don't know how bats would affect that

I seem to remember that it was used as a film location for the TV series ‘Boon’. One of Harry Crawford’s dodgy enterprises!

Our local motor factor invited its customers to a wild west show there, must have been in the late seventies early eighties. Myself and my staff thoroughly enjoyed it. I still have the cowboy hat we were gifted sitting on top of my wardrobe.

Back